Favorite low priced champagne

I always want a case or more of low priced champagne in the house for gifting, easy drinking,etc. $25 or so is my preferred price point. I have bought Piper, Montaudon, Duval Leroy bdb,Perrier Jouet (old label), and a few others. For the last 2-3 years it has been Roederer and I am really impressed at the ageability and overall quality. The last 2 buys even came in nice gift boxes.
What is your favorite?

Does Larmandier-Bernier count as a low-priced Champagne ?

If so, that would be my first choice.

Otherwise, I’d go for some Louis Roederer as well. [cheers.gif]

Very hard to buy for USD 25 in Europe any more.

I’ve been really pleased with Clothilde Davenne Cremant. Bought it based on Lyle Fass’ pitch which featured a very poisitive review from John Gilman. I’m not usually a points whore, but I’ll make an exception for Mr. Gilman.

2009 Bouvet-Ladubay Saumur Saphir Brut Vintage, about $14 here in US. Nice crisp loire vin pettilant - great citrus nose with beautiful fruit framed by the crisp minerality on the palate. Chenin Blanc. Discovered Bouvet-Ladubay while in the Loire valley in 2009, the Tete de Cuvée is the Trésor (Chard., Chenin Blanc IIRC) but I can not find that here in the US, tant pis.

Coutier Blanc de Blanc, and Jean Laurent Blanc de Noir. Remarkably good wines for the tariff.

I`ve bought cases of NV Philippe Prie Brut from WTSO and found it to be consistently decent for a house bubbly. Their price- $22.99.

Agreed. Non-Champers methode champenoise is much easier to find and better QPR.

Hard price to make, Laherte Brut Nature is just a stunning Chardonnay for the price which in France and the UK where I bought it it’s been around €25/£30, but seems hard to get in the states!

The Heidesick thread motivated me to start this thread. It is always good to have a lot of champagne around the house.
I have paid as much as $35 for this category. I have boughtBollinger, Jean Laurent and Laurent Perrier at this price point but not lately. About 10 -12years ago Sam’s in Chicago had Selosse on closeout for about $30. Those were a couple of great cases.

Couldn’t say it better myself!
Lately its been grower stuff - so much to try, and much is very reasonably priced.

Coincidentally, just popped a bottle of this tonight:

• NV Philippe Prié Champagne Brut Tradition - France, Champagne (10/21/2012)
    Popped and poured. Light straw/gold, steady bead. Somewhat complex aromas of mild citrus, citrus zest, yeast/dough, hazelnut, subtle florals, shaved fennel, and a hint of toast…perhaps even a touch of coffee as this warms. Actually, with further aeration the aromas are really quite nice (an extremely poor man’s version of NV Krug, at least on the nose??). Light body. On the palate, this shows a more green fruited character that combines nicely with a similar zesty citrus quality as on the nose. Moderate to moderate-plus acidity keeps this quenching and helps assuage the somewhat cloying sweetness. Moderate close.

Quick commentary: As other tasters have mentioned, this does indeed possess an oxidative quality. However, it’s quite mild and really adds a nice degrees of complexity to what might otherwise might be a somewhat blasé experience for some. But regardless, and more subjectively speaking, this is a pretty killer bottle of Champagne for the WTSO pricing. I would drink this now and over the short term.

Posted from CellarTracker

I can’t really think of another actual “Champagne” that’s as nice an experience for the coin. If it wasn’t for this one I’d probably just stick to Roederer Estate or some other quality, non-Champagne sparkling wine…

(…or just spend more $ and buy some tasty NV Piere Peters instead :smiley: )

I am always surprised at a discussion of “Champagne” as if it were just another name for sparkling wine. For me, the varietal makeup of the wine makes a huge difference (I generally prefer the Pinot Champagnes to the Chardonnay ones). Would there be a similar discussion about favorite low priced Burgundy without a mention for each wine being red or white? Yes, I know that these are often blended, and most are the same color (white) but even in Bordeaux, we can generalize that a Left Bank is Cabernet dominated, and Right Bank is Merlot. Are we just assuming that these wines are Chardonnays? Only Christofer and Warren have made any mention of anything otherwise.

Errol, true enough, but does the blend really matter or even come into play when trying to find actual Champagne @ $25 per bottle as in the OP’s question?

I’ll second Errol’s suggestion (even at basic NV levels), if only for selfish motivations. I am on a champagne kick however, trying to learn as much as I can before the kick’s over :slight_smile:

Alex, re your comment about the oxidative quality, Ive found that to be true in some instances such as with a case I received a few months ago; however, Ive had many a bottle that had no oxidative notes whatsoever which makes me think it`s not a house thing, but a a=handling/ storage/ shipping matter. The same is true for the Brut Rose.

Our palates must be quite similar. The Roederer Estate Brut and Brut Rose have been favs of mind for many years. So has the NV Pierre Peters.

https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/heidsieck-monopole-blue-top-our-new-house-bubbles/68432/1

Forgot to mention the André Clouet Silver (Brut Nature) is a really good example of a NV Blanc de Noirs, it is quite alright with dosage as well (Grande Réserve)!

Moutard

Gosset $28 awesum