Please Help me Navigate this Massive Wine List -- Roscioli Restaurant in Rome

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Please Help me Navigate this Massive Wine List -- Roscioli Restaurant in Rome

#51 Post by Tom DeBiase » August 23rd, 2019, 9:01 am

Gary York wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 8:21 am
I would do:

Cerasuolo Valentini - young or old, take your pick

Followed by:
2001 Produttori Barbaresco Rabaja
2001 B Giacosa Barolo Falletto
2005 G. D Vajra Barolo Bricco delle Viole
Can't go wrong with these choices

Tom

Barry L i p t o n

Re: Please Help me Navigate this Massive Wine List -- Roscioli Restaurant in Rome

#52 Post by Barry L i p t o n » August 23rd, 2019, 9:02 am

Oops, ignore the below, this is Rimessa’s list. I thought it was the main place.

It’s not as good as my last visit a few years ago when I had old (88?) Monsanto Il Poggio.

I don’t even see the Pieropan Dennis mentioned in another thread.

I might go Etna Rosso but will check out the suggestions.

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

#53 Post by bradkaplan » August 23rd, 2019, 12:10 pm

Their somm at Rimessa is great - tell him what your hoping for and he will find something cool.
www.ThirstySouth.com

Monica Larner

#54 Post by Monica Larner » August 23rd, 2019, 9:49 pm

Roscioli is just epic on the Roman restaurant scene, an oldie but a goodie. Make sure to get a table upstairs where the atmosphere is more lively (and there's just a tad more seating room as the whole place is quite cramped, often off-puttingly so). I always get either the carbonara or the amatriciana (with Emidio Pepe to pair). That's my evergreen order. The pizza bianca table bread is what put them on the map because Roscioli is also a bakery and you'll se their bread shop just down the street. The service can be brusk, but that's something of a Roman trademark. Buon appetito.
Italian Reviewer with Robert Parker Wine Advocate

Monica Larner

#55 Post by Monica Larner » August 23rd, 2019, 9:59 pm

If you have time, another place I go to often is the nearby Pianostrada on Via delle Zoccolette. It's a similar genre of restaurant. Although the wine list is not as extensive as Roscioli, the choices are excellent and the food is inspired.
Italian Reviewer with Robert Parker Wine Advocate

Barry L i p t o n

#56 Post by Barry L i p t o n » August 23rd, 2019, 11:42 pm

Monica Larner wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 9:49 pm
Roscioli is just epic on the Roman restaurant scene, an oldie but a goodie. Make sure to get a table upstairs where the atmosphere is more lively (and there's just a tad more seating room as the whole place is quite cramped, often off-puttingly so). I always get either the carbonara or the amatriciana (with Emidio Pepe to pair). That's my evergreen order. The pizza bianca table bread is what put them on the map because Roscioli is also a bakery and you'll se their bread shop just down the street. The service can be brusk, but that's something of a Roman trademark. Buon appetito.
Those are my go to Pasta choices as well!

Stan Y.

#57 Post by Stan Y. » August 24th, 2019, 4:21 am

Ate late lunch there our last day in Rome on Tuesday. The list they gave us had only Italian wines, with no older Produttori Barbaresco like that. If I'd seen this list I would have ordered 2001 Barthod 1er crus at 200. Definitely ask for the full list. On our version, the days of 68 euro Pergole Torte long gone, didn't see anything that made us want to order based on value, so got cheap Pian del Ciampola and some whites by the glass and focused on the food. Apps and pastas were by far the best we had in Italy, but mains and seafood were all very significantly overcooked. I sortof suspected but August in Italy for food is like France - at least three quarters of the places we wanted to eat at were closed.
S. Y @ t € s

Return to “Wine Talk”