Please Help me Navigate this Massive Wine List -- Roscioli Restaurant in Rome

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian G r a f s t r o m

Please Help me Navigate this Massive Wine List -- Roscioli Restaurant in Rome

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2012, 2:21 pm

My wife and I will be dining at this place very soon, and I need to email the restaurant in advance with our wine selections. This list is massive, and Italian wines are not my strength. I will likely spend hours poring over the list the next couple of days, but I thought I would draw on the expertise of others here: if anyone has the time/interest in looking through even a part of this list and giving suggestions, I'd be greatly appreciative. Max per bottle spend is probably about 125 euro, and would prefer to keep it far under that, really. TIA for any help anyone can offer. [cheers.gif]

- Brian

The wine list: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... hrome=true

prefer more rustic/old-world selections, but am open to anything.
Last edited by Brian G r a f s t r o m on October 14th, 2012, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Please Help me Navigate this Massive Wine List -- Roscioli Restaurant in Rome

#2 Post by Scott Brunson » October 14th, 2012, 2:45 pm

B--I sent the list to a friend of mine who collects lots of Italian wine. I'll see what he says and then contact you.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Bill Bøykin

Re: Please Help me Navigate this Massive Wine List -- Roscioli Restaurant in Rome

#3 Post by Bill Bøykin » October 14th, 2012, 2:50 pm

03 Mascarello Monprivato at 1st blush.

Jonathan Favre

#4 Post by Jonathan Favre » October 14th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Out of the non-Italian selections :O).... A wee bit more that that 125 number: '08 Roulot Meursault Perrieres for 140. Maybe some Pascal Cotat Sancerre La Grande Cote '09 or '10? '07 Rayas for 150? '10 Brunel Cailloux CDP blanc for 38? A huge splurge - '60 or '66 Vega Sicilia Unico?

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:B--I sent the list to a friend of mine who collects lots of Italian wine. I'll see what he says and then contact you.
Thanks, Scott. [cheers.gif]

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#6 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm only on page 27 so far {sigh} ...

steffenpelz

#7 Post by steffenpelz » October 14th, 2012, 3:03 pm

I ate at Roscioli twice last May durinmg a short stay with my wife, and their list is amazing. We ordered a Chardonnay from Alto Aldige one night because we were eating fish tartare, and the second night, we had a mindblowingly good Cesanese from Lazio. The sommelier is a pro and he helped us pick the right wines with the food and he did not push for anything expensive.

These two meals were our best during our stay and you will love Roscioli.

If you can, you should have Pizza one day at their Fornaio right across the street. Fresh out of the oven whatever they feel like making. Potato Salsicce was awesome, as was Zuc blossoms and anchovies.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#8 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2012, 3:14 pm

steffenpelz wrote:... The sommelier is a pro and he helped us pick the right wines with the food and he did not push for anything expensive.
So, did you not call at least 24 hours in advance to inquire about wine availability and pricing (as indicated on their wine list)?

steffenpelz

#9 Post by steffenpelz » October 14th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
steffenpelz wrote:... The sommelier is a pro and he helped us pick the right wines with the food and he did not push for anything expensive.
So, did you not call at least 24 hours in advance to inquire about wine availability and pricing (as indicated on their wine list)?
Nope. My wife and I walked in for dinner at 7pm on the first night and made a reservation for two nights later for the same time. Both nights, I just ordered from the list. The food is the star in this place and even less expensive stuff can absolutely make for an insanely good experience.

Shannon Perdue
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Shannon Perdue » October 14th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Based on Steffen's and others' reco we ate at Roscioli. It's a great wine list with many choices under 125 euro. In a sweet spot for red wine type of food is the 06 Montevertine Le Pergole Torte at 78 euro. It's all Sangio and is really special. Check out the Cellartracker reviews. As long as they decant the wine you should be quite pleased. The other Montervertine wines would be additional possibilities.

If you really want to drop some $$$$ they have some reserve wines downstairs in their cellar that weren't on the wine list. At our dinner the couple next to us ordered a DRC. As they were carrying it out the entire area basically stopped talking to watch. Fun times! [cheers.gif] The burrata is the *stuff*.

steffenpelz

#11 Post by steffenpelz » October 14th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Just as a quick idea for how cheap good wine is in Italy...I don't think either bottle I bought was even close to €20 off the list...and I loved both. The food ain't cheap, especially at current exchange rates, but it is 100% worth it.

I am green with envy :)
Last edited by steffenpelz on October 14th, 2012, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#12 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2012, 4:06 pm

My wife and I are both *very* excited about it --- the pics on their website of all the cured meats has me *salivating*! Thank you for the food suggestions, too.

Here's my current list of reds I might ask about, if I feel the need to do so:
Lagreins Taber ’09 Cantina Produttori di Bolzano – 40
Refosco ’09 Ronc di Vico – 55 (is this the “Titut Ros” designation?)
Refosco ’07 Ronchi di Cialla – 44
Barolo ’03 Monprivato Giuseppe Mascarello di Monchieero – 80
Boca ’89 Castello Conti (Gattinara) – 48
2008 Foradori Teroldego – 28
06 Montevertine Le Pergole Torte -- 78 euro

The idea of trying an '89 Gattinara at less than 50 euro is very appealing to me, but I'll just have to wait and see what food we order.

steffenpelz

#13 Post by steffenpelz » October 14th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Brian.

I personally would advise agianst the Monprivato. While the price is certainly amazing, I have to say that I have been more than underwhelmed by 2003 Barolo. Many wines I have had from the vintage have been very hollow on the mid-palate. I also think that the food will mostly be tough to pair with Barolo, but I could be wrong.

Lagrein is always a good choice as long as the food is meat, game, and fowl.

Beyond that, I suggest looking at the white list since more of the food than you might think will invite for a white wine pairing.

But you really can't go wrong. Enjoy Roscioli!

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#14 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2012, 5:53 pm

steffenpelz wrote:Brian.

I personally would advise agianst the Monprivato. While the price is certainly amazing, I have to say that I have been more than underwhelmed by 2003 Barolo. Many wines I have had from the vintage have been very hollow on the mid-palate. I also think that the food will mostly be tough to pair with Barolo, but I could be wrong.

Lagrein is always a good choice as long as the food is meat, game, and fowl.

Beyond that, I suggest looking at the white list since more of the food than you might think will invite for a white wine pairing.

But you really can't go wrong. Enjoy Roscioli!
I have a couple whites I have my eyes on, too. The Gravners, in particular, caught my attention --- I've never tried one, and the pricing on them seems reasonable. I imagine we'll order one white and one red.

Thanks for your input, Steffen. [cheers.gif]

Brad Baker

#15 Post by Brad Baker » October 14th, 2012, 6:04 pm

If you are looking for something white or sparkling, the Prosecco selection is pretty nice IMO. While it is only four deep, all are very good and deliver well above the price. My personal choices would be the Bisol or the Bellenda Cartizze. The Bellenda is sweeter in style and the Bisol is a restaurant cuvee, but I love just about everything Bisol makes. The best part is that all the Prosecco offerings are below 26 Euros and my personal choice the Bisol is only 16 Euros. They won't be super complex, but they will be tasty, pleasing, set the mood, and make you smile - if you want something with bubbles.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#16 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the info, Brad. We might do some bubbles instead of a white; or, at "only 16 euros, honey!", I may be able to convince my wife that we should order a bottle of bubbles, a white, and a red! [grin.gif] [cheers.gif]

Jon Troutman

#17 Post by Jon Troutman » October 14th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:...

The idea of trying an '89 Gattinara at less than 50 euro is very appealing to me, but I'll just have to wait and see what food we order.
I had a bottle of this and the 1990 recently, and was really impressed. A very elegant, floral Nebbiolo that is at perfect maturity.
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip Champagne when we thirs-tay
~Biggie~

ITB
@trouty

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#18 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Good to know. Thanks for letting me know, Jon. [cheers.gif]

Anthony Lombardi

#19 Post by Anthony Lombardi » October 14th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Brian,

I'd almost throw a dart. The prices are great, unless you are buying the ballets like Gaja or Giacosa. I would end up taking a flyer on the 2000 Fiano or the 71 Fontanafredda Barolo knowing that if they don't work out I could get a Rosso di Montalcino, Cannonau or Chianti for very little. Looks cool.

Jeremy Holmes

#20 Post by Jeremy Holmes » October 14th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Good price on the 05 Coche Casse Tete.
ITB

Matthew Brown

#21 Post by Matthew Brown » October 14th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Not knowing your wine tastes as well as I know your beer tastes (no Racer 5 or Cantillon on the menu, I assume) I'd play it this way:

Pic the category you know the best or have the strongest draw towards, red or white, and pick that one yourself. Then go 'dealer's choice' on the others and put yourself in the hands of your server. Sounds like they have great staff to steer you, and those are the sort of opportunities you get to have an unexpected 'OMG' moment. One of my favorite dining nights was when my wife and I went 'all-in' with our server (and owner) at this Italian place in Sonoma. Completely set us on our ass. I do know you're one for experimentation, and for those prices it's great chance for discovery.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

Keith Levenberg

#22 Post by Keith Levenberg » October 14th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Brut Grand Cru ‘Clos Cazals’ 2000 Claude Cazals a Mesnil-Sur-Oger €105.00
Trebbiano d' Abruzzo Doc '08 Valentini €60,00
Fiano di Avellino Docg ‘09, Guido Marsella €28,00
Bianco Breg Anfora ‘04 Gravner €70,00
Ribolla ‘Anfora’ ‘04 Gravner €70,00
Colli di Luni Vermentino ‘Costa Marina’ 10 Ottaviano Lambruschi €24,00
Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo Doc ‘07 Valentini €40,00
Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo Doc ’06 Valentini €110,00
Valtellina Superiore Docg Riserva Sassella ‘Rocce Rosse’ '97 AR.PE.PE €40,00
Barbera d'Alba Doc ’Gabutti’ '08 Cappellano €22,00
Barolo ‘Otin Fiorin’ Piè Franco '06 Cappellano di Serralunga d’Alba €120,00
Brunello di Montalcino ‘01 Biondi Santi €140,00
Le Pergole Torte '06 Montevertine €78,00
Moscato d'Asti '10 Saracco €16,00

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by M.Kaplan » October 14th, 2012, 11:13 pm

We ate there on successive nights the summer before last. The excellent sommelier made suggestions, which we followed each night. Rather than give him some suggestions and ask for his advice, I asked him to pick wines that he liked that went with our meals that perhaps weren't widely known. I don't remember the wines offhand, but I'd never heard of any of them. They were delicious and none was more than €30-ish, that I recall. The best part was that the wines he chose were perfect accompaniments to our meals. All of which is a long winded way of agreeing with Steffen. Also agreeing with Steffen, we drank white wines because they better matched the summer heat and the great Roscioli pastas: carbonara, amatriciana, and cacio pepe, as well as our charcuterie starters, one of which was comprised of a huge selection of different buffala mozzarellas, some smoked, some not, accompanied by a huge helping of Jamon Pata Negra. Great place. Easy to over think their wine list.
---Mark

Gabriel Herrmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Gabriel Herrmann » October 15th, 2012, 3:19 am

Anthony Lombardi wrote:the 71 Fontanafredda Barolo
this! also, the valentini or emidio pepe trebbianos. or the soaves from pieropan and pra.

the bison marea from cinque terre is a cool white on the cheap side, too.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#25 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 15th, 2012, 4:16 am

I'm loving the assistance, point-of-views, and stories from those who've been! Thank you to all who have contributed. [cheers.gif]

Bill Bøykin

#26 Post by Bill Bøykin » October 15th, 2012, 7:39 am

I still stand with the 03 Monprivato,drinking especially very well now.........and not necessarily connected to the "lesser" 03s,which IMO have Some compelling wines with great value.
As for the 06 Pergole Torte,a big favorite of mine,it's in sleep mode now and would be a waste to try and pierce its outer electron shell........;)

Richard Malloy

#27 Post by Richard Malloy » October 15th, 2012, 11:46 am

2004 Antoniolo Gattinara "San Francesco"

Great wine, great value. This was one of the bottles my wife and I ordered at Roscioli back in March, and it's drinking exceptionally well. [cheers.gif]

Richard Malloy

#28 Post by Richard Malloy » October 15th, 2012, 11:55 am

Brad Baker wrote:If you are looking for something white or sparkling, the Prosecco selection is pretty nice IMO. While it is only four deep, all are very good and deliver well above the price. My personal choices would be the Bisol or the Bellenda Cartizze. The Bellenda is sweeter in style and the Bisol is a restaurant cuvee, but I love just about everything Bisol makes. The best part is that all the Prosecco offerings are below 26 Euros and my personal choice the Bisol is only 16 Euros. They won't be super complex, but they will be tasty, pleasing, set the mood, and make you smile - if you want something with bubbles.
If you're ordering the burrata - you are ordering the burrata, right? - you'll likely want something with bubbles. I'm hardly an expert in Italian sparkers, but I do find that I prefer Franciacorta to Prosecco.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#29 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 15th, 2012, 12:32 pm

We will *definitely* be ordering the burrata!

In other related and good news: two of our friends will be joining us, essentially doubling the number of wines we'll be able to order and dishes we'll be able to try! Oh yeah, it will be nice to spend time with them, too! [wink.gif] [dance-clap.gif]

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by M.Kaplan » October 15th, 2012, 3:09 pm

If you venture to Campo dei Fiori (the neighborhood in which Roscioli is located) dueling the day, do yourself a favor and have a porchetta sandwich (I like mine with spicy chicory) at Aristocampo. Priceless at €5/6. One of the best I've eaten during my enduring obsession with porchetta sandwiches.
---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#31 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 15th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Thanks for the tip, Mark. I *love* porchetta, so will make a point of seeking it out! [grin.gif]

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#32 Post by Richard T r i m p i » October 15th, 2012, 3:54 pm

If you're headed back through Campo di Fiori towards Piazza Navona, definitely put "Cul de Sac" on your list. Great little eatery and a very solid wine selection.

We sat in Roscioli's basement (with their wines) for dinner and opted for their wine/food pairing recommendations...very respectable advice.

I don't really "get" Burrata. It's tasty enough in an ultra creamy way, but there're so many other good cheeses. Check out their Selezioni di Formaggi.

RT

Gregory Dal Piaz

#33 Post by Gregory Dal Piaz » October 15th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Nice list.

I'd start with either

Fiano di Avellino Docg ‘09, Guido Marsella or Latour a Civitella ’06 Sergio Mottura

Then I'd try a bottle of Schiava ‘Gschleier 85 Girlan

followed by the two Ar. Pe. pe wines 99 Rocce Rosse and Grumello Buon Consiglio

Before ending with the 06 Valentini Montepulciano

About 250 Euro all in.

The Conti Boca, 85, 89, and 90 would make a fascinating alternative flight to the Ar Pe Pes
ITB Freelance Writing/Education/Wine Buying
[url]www.SimplyBetterWines.com[/url]

Steven Dilley

#34 Post by Steven Dilley » October 15th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Had a couple meals there a couple yrs ago and recall some well-priced Gravner and old Chianti in particular. Don't miss the Joselito and Cinta Senese. Also a nice stash of very good old rum, if you're into that.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#35 Post by Jim Anderson » October 15th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Ate there twice this spring. It's fantastic. Crowded for sure and we were in the entryway both times which would seem awkward but I liked it as you could watch them prep the burrata and slice the cured meats. Champagne list is very strong. Portions are generous to a fault. Don't fill up on the cheese and bread they send out to start the meal. Get a jar of their sundries tomatoes to go. Where else in Italy are you going?
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Todd Tucker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Todd Tucker » October 15th, 2012, 8:07 pm

I would echo some of the above thoughts. I think it will be hard to go wrong here. If you have the degree of comfort, let it fly and let the somm take you for a vinous ride. One of the great wonders for me in wine is exploring the great- often inexpensive- indigenous varieties of Italy. It sounds like the somm is great and I would let them run the show and I bet in this case at least, you will have great experience that you cannot reproduce stateside. I'd let them pick you some cool wines that you have never heard of and have a run of it. Prosecco d V and Burrata sounds like a reason to fly out there in and of itself.

Also, FWIW, the 03 Monprivato rocks right now. A great '03, but I'd be brave, close your eyes, and open you mouth on this one.

Enjoy!

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#37 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 15th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Only Rome. Just there for a long weekend.

G. Greenbaum

#38 Post by G. Greenbaum » October 15th, 2012, 10:03 pm

BG - That is one awesome list. You guys are in for a treat. I agree with Mark K. Let the somm take you for a ride. I would avoid all the non-Italian wines. Nice as they are, you are in Rome with an opportunity to try some very cool wines that will pair exceptionally well with the food. Enjoy!

And for the record the ’09 Torre dei Beati Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo Doc at €18 is a great deal.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Bill Bøykin

#39 Post by Bill Bøykin » October 16th, 2012, 7:49 am

Todd Tucker wrote:
Also, FWIW, the 03 Monprivato rocks right now. A great '03, but I'd be brave, close your eyes, and open you mouth on this one.

Enjoy!
Ahhh,another braveheart..... [cheers.gif]
What Todd said.....

Richard Malloy

#40 Post by Richard Malloy » October 16th, 2012, 9:36 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:I don't really "get" Burrata. It's tasty enough in an ultra creamy way, but there're so many other good cheeses. Check out their Selezioni di Formaggi.

RT
La burrata was recommended to me as a must-eat when traveling to Italy. Honestly, I didn't know why. I like mozzarella well-enough, but it certainly never wow'd me.

But I quickly realized that I've never really tasted good mozzarella, real mozzarella, much less burrata as I'd never bothered to purchase product overnighted from Italy. I've since purchased burrata from a few local places that's sold "within 48hrs of landing in the US". I presume this was flown out of Italy on the same day it was made (I hope). And yet ... not the same. With aged cheeses - so long as you have a good affineur - you can taste quality products from anywhere. Fresh cheeses simply don't maintain, even when overnighted from Italy to your local grocer.

And, like American guanciale, I still haven't found an acceptable local burrata or mozzarella. I thought it a matter of producers simply not trying hard enough, but apparently there are people devoting their lives to recreating fresh Italian cheese in the US. Still failing to do so, but still trying. It is, apparently, "perhaps the most difficult cheese to replicate", as noted in this great article from last week's NYTIMES: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magaz ... ref=dining

"Buffalo mozzarella is the Great White Whale of American cheesemaking: a dream so exotic and powerful that it drives otherwise sensible people into ruinous monomaniacal quests. Despite all the recent triumphs of our country’s foodie movement (heirloom-turkey-sausage saffron Popsicles; cardamom paprika mayonnaise foam), no one in the United States has, as of yet, figured out how to recreate precisely this relatively simple Old World delicacy — a food with essentially one ingredient (buffalo milk) that is made every day in Italy. Over the last 15 years, in fact, the attempt to make authentic buffalo mozzarella — to nail both its taste and texture — has destroyed businesses from Vermont to Los Angeles. It seems truly doomed..."

So, yeah, at the end of the day burrata is just cream and really creamy cheese in a creamy cheese purse. But it's the most exquisite fresh creamy cheese I've ever tasted. But go easy. Share it with at least one other person. Save room for all the delights to follow. But remember - you really can't get this anywhere but Italy.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#41 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 16th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Gregg, Bill, & Richard,
I appreciate your input. Thank you!

Gregg,
I'll put the Montepulciano on my list of possibilities. Thanks for the tip!

Richard,
There's almost nothing anyone could say that would prevent me from ordering the burrata!

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#42 Post by Richard T r i m p i » October 16th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:Richard, There's almost nothing anyone could say that would prevent me from ordering the burrata!

Buon Appetito. At the very least, you'll be prepared for the dish's subtleties.

RT

Dan.Gord0n

#43 Post by Dan.Gord0n » October 16th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Jonathan Favre wrote:Out of the non-Italian selections :O).... A wee bit more that that 125 number: '08 Roulot Meursault Perrieres for 140. Maybe some Pascal Cotat Sancerre La Grande Cote '09 or '10? '07 Rayas for 150? '10 Brunel Cailloux CDP blanc for 38? A huge splurge - '60 or '66 Vega Sicilia Unico?
I probably couldn't bring myself to order them given the IT choices, but you've hit on many of the ones that I noticed among the non-IT....that 07 Rayas for 150 would be tough to pass up.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#44 Post by c fu » October 16th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Jonathan Favre wrote:Out of the non-Italian selections :O).... A wee bit more that that 125 number: '08 Roulot Meursault Perrieres for 140. Maybe some Pascal Cotat Sancerre La Grande Cote '09 or '10? '07 Rayas for 150? '10 Brunel Cailloux CDP blanc for 38? A huge splurge - '60 or '66 Vega Sicilia Unico?
i would drink 08 roulot perrieres at 140 euros all day long. ALL DAY!!! [snort.gif]
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#45 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 20th, 2012, 3:17 pm

[swoon.gif]

Dayyy-uuum! The food here absolutely rocked!
The four of us started with some burrata and and assortment of hand-sliced prosciutti to start. Wonderful.
I had the carbonara next. Stunning.
Finished with the roman meatballs. Probably the second-best meatballs I've had in my life, second only to the meatballs from Cosetta's Italian restaurant in St. Paul, MN.

started with some Prosecho (I think it was the Extra Dry, but cannot remember; they were out of the Bisol); it was serviceable, and I think quite good at the price.

Next had the 2009 Fiano that was recommended a couple times up-thread. It was absolutely stunning!

We ended with a wine that was superb. Ordering it, however, was probably the weirdest wine-ordering experience I've ever had.
First, I asked for the 1989 Boca Gattinara. Our waitress said, "I will check to see if we have that."
Then, our waitress came back and said "We don't have that vintage." So, I asked for the '90. She said she'd check and get back to me.
A couple minutes later she comes back and says, "Our sommelier recommends against it. She says it is a very weird wine, and most people it's not to their taste." I responded, "Well, weird how? Is it kind of earthy, funky, and leathery?" She responds, "Yes." I say, "Perfect! That's exactly what we want. We will have that please."
A few minutes later she returns to my table with the wine list, and says "We don't have any Boca." I say, "O.K., we'll just pick something else, then." For the next three or four minutes we pore over the list: everything our waitress recommends is either way younger than I was looking for, and/or more expensive than what we wanted to spend, and/or they didn't have it (I tried ordering the '06 Montevertine La Pergole, but they were out of it).
Eventually, I say, "So, you don't have any of the Boca, huh?" She responds, "Oh, yes; we do. Which one do you want?" I say, "Ummmm, do you have the 1989?", to which she replies, "Yes." I say, "Great! Then we'll have that, please." She says, "O.K."' I say, "Thank you." And *that* is how we eventually ended-up with the 1989 Boca Gattinara as our third wine. It did need a few minutes in the glass to sort itself out some, but it was very good, and fully mature --- it was a stunning pairing with the meatballs, each making the other better. Ordering the darned thing, however ... sheesh! rolleyes ... really makes me wonder.

Marty L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Marty L. » August 23rd, 2019, 7:57 am

Heading to Rimessa Roscioli tonight (in just a few hours) and thought I’d take a shot at resurrecting this thread to solicit wine list advice from some of you sage experts. Here’s a link to the current list. Thanks in advance!

https://www.winetastingrome.com/wp-cont ... maggio.pdf
Martin Lebwohl

Gary York

#47 Post by Gary York » August 23rd, 2019, 8:21 am

I would do:

Cerasuolo Valentini - young or old, take your pick

Followed by:
2001 Produttori Barbaresco Rabaja
2001 B Giacosa Barolo Falletto
2005 G. D Vajra Barolo Bricco delle Viole
ITB

Barry L i p t o n

#48 Post by Barry L i p t o n » August 23rd, 2019, 8:41 am

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. I’ll be there in a few weeks!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 23rd, 2019, 8:53 am

Definitely the 89 Boca Gattinara
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

ybarselah

#50 Post by ybarselah » August 23rd, 2019, 8:56 am

am i the only one that thinks this list isn't that great? yes, it's huge, but i was expecting more cool older stuff?... anyway, i've been loving some of these older ronchi di cialla wines. had a 2006 last week that was fantastic.

Schioppettino 1996, Ronchi di Cialla 80
Schioppettino 1992, Ronchi di Cialla 92
Schioppettino 1983, Ronchi di Cialla 120

i think i'd go with the somm recommendations given lots of stuff that seems interesting but perhaps less known?
Last edited by ybarselah on August 23rd, 2019, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yaacov (ITB)

Return to “Wine Talk”