Counter Intuitive Wine / Food advice (Wine is a no no with Pizza?)

Interesting discussion:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say no wine with pizza, but whites are definitely better than reds.

I’ve never found a red that I truly enjoyed with pizza, and I presumed it was because of the crust, as bread doesn’t go with anything other than bubbles

Lambrusco, high acid Barbera and Aglianico work for me.

I could see the latter two, and yes, Lambrusco works well. I haven’t had Barbera in a while - need some.

+1

Champagne ROCKS with pizza.

I once gently berated the ‘12 angry men’ on the Parker board for drinking multiple great old vintages of Romanee-Conti with pizza but since it turns out the wines were more than questionable I was probably in error. Mea Culpa.

I’ve been told that in Napoli they drink white wine with pizza, eg. Fiano di Avellino. I found that works for me, especially with the most basic Margherita topping and thin crust.
My most common choice is a Grenache dominant CdR or equivalent from Spain.
A friend makes a grilled pizza topped with figs and goat cheese. We like it with a ripe fruit forward PN.

P Hickner

It’s true that Italians usually drink beer with pizza, but it’s not true that wine doesn’t go with pizza. As Robert said, Lambrusco works very well, I have a Piedirosso that an excellent pizzeria in SF sells by the gallon, and there are others.

And the pizza wasn’t delivery, it was Di Giorno. [snort.gif]

Along with barbera, I’ve generally enjoyed loire cab francs with pizza as well

Sometimes nothing beats a cold pitcher of beer.

My own preference with pizza is an inexpensive Chianti Classico. Washes it down just fine.

+2

(and champagne rocks with almost anything, especially with food that’s normally difficult)

As pointed out earlier, chianti also works well.

I would add basic, restrained zinfandel to the list - but that’s almost a historical footnote at this point.

M @ r k

Depending on what is on it and what we have on hand we usually drink barbera, Langhe nebb, Valpolicella, Chianti, or Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio rosso when I can find a good one (not many in the market around here). The local place we order from has a “Mediterranean” pizza with caramelized onions, roasted peppers, fresh thyme, goat cheese, and black olives. We drink a Cotes du Rhone with that one.

Champagne is a reliable fall-back position, no? [cheers.gif]

I’m not a big fan of pizza and wine. ‘Pizza wine’ would be a modest wine that isn’t nice enough for the pairing to matter that much. Usually the processed cheese and sometimes spicy toppings are the problem.

My position I suppose is that the pizza wine pairing generally is not synergistic.

First of all, Ive had many a pizza in Italy and it was served with wine, whites and reds. In the States, I go for good quality beer first, Champagne 2nd and any other wine that I can pair with the style of pizza, usually one that is high in acidity Its not that difficult.

What is pizza ?

I have had a ‘few’ Napa Cabs with pizza and many friends and never heard a complaint. Ever. :slight_smile:

IMHO, pizza is beer food - an IPA works great with it. And my local pizza joint, Two Amys, has a good affordable wine list - but better than that, it has Tupper’s Hop Pocket Ale on draft!