CT/Vinfolio - Stupid Bids

I know that this just got started, but the few bids that I have received been so low that they are stupid. Don’t waste my time with a bid that is 1/2 of low wine-searcher and 1/2 of the winebid quarterly average sales. And that is without taking into account the 20% vinfolio fee.

Come on Jeff, did you really expect fair value…As DrBigmouth likes to say…“We’re all just cherry pickers”.

I’m not familiar with it. Is it an auction? Can you set a starting bid? Low balling is a common strategy. Sometimes no one else bids and you get a bargain.

The low fruit will be picked first…I got a decent bid on a '96 Pur Sang though ($110)…probably because I was the only seller…

Not like a true auction. People can put bids for a particular wine out there, and anyone who owns the wine can accept the bid or not. So entering a very low bid will only work if someone actually decides that they’re satisfied with that price for the wine.

DISCLOSURE: Obviously, since CellarTracker in a partner in the Marketplace, I have a commercial interest.

We are just 5 days in. I agree that for my own wines I have received a mix of silly lowball bids and some credible bids. But as the system gets more critical mass I think you will see things come into line.

I also know that I need to expose better UI in CellarTracker to make it easier to set minimum prices so that you can filter alerts for goofy bids. The default from CellarTracker (1 easy click) just lists your cellar without any asking or minimum prices.

I am going to be down in SF with visiting with Vinfolio for the next day and a half (sorry SF locals, it is quick hitter trip with no time to play) to talk through how we can tighten up a number of things. So please bear with us as we get this really wired. Also keep in mind that Q4 volume in wine retail tends to be pretty dramatically different from Q3.

Some stupid-low bids but also some decent ones. Haven’t accepted any yet.

The funniest one I’ve seen is $50 for a 375ml 2001 d’yquem.

I’ll give you $51 - cash money.

Don’t take an insult like that Chris. I’ll give you $75 per and let you pick my avatar for a month.

Hey, don’t call my bids stupid. I’ll give you $52, but you pay for shipping neener neener

Steve, cherrypicking is one thing, but these have been stupid. It was the $50 bid on the '01 D’Yquem that set me off. A total waste of my time to read that e-mail.

I’ve got a gift for you guys…

[middle-finger.gif] [middle-finger.gif] [middle-finger.gif]

neener

I don’t understand the people that put their whole cellar up for sale with no intention of selling.

If I understand this, i like the format…So, I say i have a wine for sale and then can see what people are willing to by it for? So, unlike winebid, I never have to sell if the price isn’t right?

I think everything has a price.

I would also venture a guess that $50 for '01 d’Yquem is NOT such a price…

I found it an easier alternative to going through and pricing out each wine I was interested in selling.

Zach, some wines have bid offers posted, others dont. When someone places a bid, that bid is sent to all owners and they can either accept or decline. Pretty easy, and yes, you can choose to sell only when the offer price is in your acceptable range.

I see this as a great way to track-down an obscure bottle that can’t be found elsewhere, but not for deals of the century. Private owners are too attached to their possessions, wine included, so I don’t see many people just ‘letting go’ their wine unless there are external motivating factors like job loss, etc.

Chris, It doesn’t make it easier for the buyer to try and figure out what you are really selling. How many bottles in your cellar? How many are you seriously interested in selling?

A classic line, as always from Dr. J…

Jeff Twersky, it is wasy to just say no to the bid, right? I am lowballer, I would be bidding ridiculously low. If 1 in 20 of my bids stuck, it would be victory for me.