TN: And now for something completely different

Last we had dinner with a few friends. With assorted Pizzas and salad:

2004 Zlatan Plavac (Croatia)
Made from the Plavac Mali grape. Ruby/black in color, mostly opaque and bright. The nose has some brett to it, which I really enjoyed. Also some black pepper and cranberries. On the palate, this is a bit to alcoholic. It does not fully handle its 14.5%. At the same time, there is a lot of acidity to this. It NEEDS food. Tastes of cranberries, raspberries and black pepper. It mellows a bit with air. Nice finish. A fun wine. I paid $37 and not worth a second bottle, but the first was worth it for the opportunity to try something different. 50+4+13+16+5=88

1995 Ripe del Falco Ippolito 1845 Ciro Rosso Classicio Superiore
Ruby/cherry in color, mostly clear and bright. The nose is nice with cherries and some black raspberries. A bit of anise too. Full bodied. On the palate, this is not the stunner that the 1992 was, but still very good. Mature but certainly not past prime. Who says Ciro’s can’t age? Cherries and earthiness on the palate. Smooth and easy to drink. Great with food. 50+4+12+18+7=91

Thanks for the notes Loren. Isn’t Plavic Mali one of the relatives of Zinfandel or is my memory failing as usual?

Interesting. I did not know that. I will look into it, but it makes sense.

Yes, that is the granddaddy of Zin.

Roberto is in the house.