Oregon Harvest

I don’t see an Oregon thread, and even if there’s a master harvest thread, California tends to dominate. So for those interested in Oregon, we’ve had a record dry summer after a significantly wet and cool spring (and wet winter). Flowering was a bit late by the norm but certainly earlier than the past two years. September has seen the warmth largely continue, with continuing upper 70s and low 80s in the forecast for the next few days, then maybe a cool down. Was out at one of my vineyards, Armstrong on Ribbon Ridge, owned by Berserker Doug Ackerman, and samples show sugars at or nearing 23 brix, acids in the 3.3 range. Flavors are coming along but I think flavors on the vine are overrated. We’re making wine, not fruit juice (at least I hope so) and I’m calling the first pick next Tuesday in the 115 block, clearly the most advanced. Given elevation and vine youth, Armstrong might “normally” be a late September pick, so we’re about a week late which is close to where we were at flowering. We’ll see how it goes. The 667 and Pommard will wait a few more days. But it’s game on this Tuesday, and a chance to get my first fruit in the door at Portland’s newest urban winery, the Southeast Wine Collective. Wish me luck. Any other locals starting to bring in fruit? Any Portland geeks looking to get dirty on the sorting line? Let’s get it on. [berserker.gif]

Channeling Walter Sobchak: “I don’t effin’ sort!”

Vincent,

I am up there again in 5 days or so…will probably start in the Chehalem Mountains next weekend. Last week numbers were in the low 21s to mid 22s, depending on clone and section. pHs were 3.1s to 3.3s. Interestingly, malic %s were much more “normal” (about 1/3 of total), but YANs were already low…a sign, I think, of the stressed season.

And I do think the juice tasted good (which I am okay with).

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Bob, we’re not f’ing sorting on Shabbos. Come on.

Adam, good to hear. And I thought the juice tastes good too, but I guess I mean that people want EXPLOSIVE!!! flavors or whatever and I want something different, possibly more than that. Especially once the juice becomes wine and the flavors and chemistry are something totally different from what we’re seeing now.

Hey, good thread topic. Was out this week and last, lots of bright green seeds which let me know that I’m in no hurry. Still predicting 10/11-15 for getting busy.

Have you ever eaten candy corn before going out to the vineyard? It’s not a bad exercise for ignoring sugar. Hope the new digs rock for you guys!

Thanks Todd. I admire your let it hang approach, but always wonder how you do it without losing the good stuff - natural acidity. Is it crop load? Is it less/no leaf pulling? Looking for ways to stretch the growing season without opening bags of powdered acid. Bear in mind, I’m picking young vines at low elevation. Still, what’s your take on hangtime vs. acid loss?

And thanks for the wishes on the new digs. Interesting to work in a new space. I don’t want to be promotional or anything, but seriously - Berserkers, if you’re in Portland, do NOT miss stopping by the Southeast Wine Collective. I’m there, sure, but Helioterra, Bow & Arrow and Division Winemaking Company are there. I’m making Pinot and a little chard, but they’re all doing that and melon, cab franc, gamay, etc. Some very cool stuff that I’m geeky excited about and I’m sure some of us here would feel the same. [berserker.gif]

I whole cluster, acid loss is my life. Rather than worry about it think of ways you’d like your wine to be and then do that.

plus I was serious about the candy corn.

I’ll try the candy corn thing. Curious.

We are still bottling, having our harvest orientation Sunday, then just hanging out. No need to hurry Mother Nature, she is usually slow and methodical up here in the wild west. I giggle every year when I see the young folks pulling the trigger early then wondering where the flavor is. Best wishes to all.
L

Mama Wolf lives!

To answer the question about acid loss, it’s not a consideration. I base the vast majority of picking on flavor tannins, and their potential. I don’t run numbers. I just walk the rows and eat fruit. Ok, I will take my digital refractometer, but I haven’t yet. Canapies are lush, weather is clear and it’s wide open right now. All good.

My life is so sweet as is, that I don’t have to worry about the fruit tasting overly so.

With regard to acids, wondering what you all see normally as far as malic %s go. Even when I pick low pHs I often find that my Oregon fruit is up to 2/3 malic, leading to a huge shift during ml, and often leading me to add acid.

This year, interestigly enough, the malic %s are already lower than I am used to seeing so, even with higher pHs (if I end up with them), I am guessing less acid adds.

PS – I do think tannin ripeness is a huge consideration…especially when I look at my older vines, self-rooted stuff.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

True on malics Adam. The last two years have been crazy for that. Low pH at harvest, amazing swings in the fermenter and barrel. Happily starting pH has been low enough. This year I’m looking forward to a tighter range.

Linda, funny on the young folks comment and pulling the trigger early. I know, what total losers.

wonderful thread
Please keep the updates coming

Thanks Scott. I’m pleased to report that the call to pick at Armstrong has cascaded to almost every producer of the site, so approx 18 tons coming off the vine Tuesday. Just 1.5 for me. The rest waits until maybe Saturday.

A golden autumn is upon us. Pretty much perfect weather, if a bit warm. It’s true that picking times greatly influence what we end up calling wine style. I’m always curious to compare my decisions after the fact with others who pick earlier or, more likely, later.

Up at Kramer the sparkling grapes were picked on Friday. I walked among the gris, chard, pommard, and muller yesterday and it “seems” like things are “close”, but the seeds are still a bit green on most everything. That said, the fruit tasted very nice. I’ll ask the boss when she wants to bring in the still wine grapes, but my last converstaion indicated that the 2nd and 3rd week of October would see things start to happen.

You WALKED?

Thinking Friday now for the rest of Armstrong. Will do more sampling at Zenith, Bjornsen and Crowley Station on Tuesday morning after the first pick at Armstrong to see how they’re all coming along. Maybe some more fruit in this weekend, certainly the following.

Gimped is more like it…With a gimp stick…