Whacking the bees nest: 2003 Lascombes

Hadn’t seen my best friend and his wife since before my son was born (that was October) and we finally got the chance to this them on Friday night. Grabbed a myriad of things to open, and had a lonely bottle of 2003 Lascombes that I thought, “well, might as well open this now.” (Bought at the PLCB for $30 some time ago)

Was not expecting this. Based on some of the panning and controversy of this wine I was expecting the big, modern, oaky factor to really be flying now. That is now gone. The chalky, dusty tannins are present, with some fresh herbal notes and balanced acids mix well with black cherries, black currants and blackberries. Notes of red cherry came on the mid palate as this opened up.

It did seem very advanced (see the 2003 Pavie Macquin discussion from a few weeks ago), but that appears to be a growing trend with 2003s, but boy, did this settle down considerably. Not sure if anyone else has ventured down this road lately, but open one up, it’s tasty.

BTW, did not decant at all.

Great note Ian, I am a fan as well…

Drank this over the weekend in Park City for Food and Wine festival, and it has mellowed considerably, much to my surprise…first time I had it it was all wood tannin.

Did you feel it was advanced at all? I really felt like this tasted 5 years older than it really was.

I opened one on Sunday it it tasted old and washed out. Not a good sign.

We talking the wine Jack, or the female in your cellar that day?

No female on Sunday Dan, just a very disappointing bottle of Lascombes.