Sully on 60 Minutes

I’m sitting here watching an interview with Capt. Sullenberger describe how he landed the US Airways plane in the Hudsom river. I have tears in my eyes.

I admit to tearing up as well.

It was the letters that put me over the edge.

I bet he never flies (pilots) commercial again.

I bet he does, those fighter pilots are different. I watched it tonight sitting next to a retired two star, former fighter pilot. He said “Everything had to happen just perfect for that landing, nose 5% higher or lower and it would be a different story.” I asked him about how cool Sully was and he said “Fighter pilots are differnet they are trained from day one to think they can do anything.”

Why is this thread shorter all of the sudden?

That was a terrific and moving piece.

Missed the interview. I will say that when the story began to unfold it occurred to me (as it has often before) that one of the greatest benefits for the rest of us (other than Festivus) is that our huge military cranks out these great civilian pilots to fly these commercial jets in “retirement.”

That was a very moving interview.

I can’t imagine how he stayed sooooo cool under pressure.

Agreed…

oh and did any of you watch this in HD and if so, was the sound all screwed up?

Yes and no – in that order. I’m on DirecTv and had no issues.

What she said, except I’m w/ Comcast.

Great article in NY Magazine, too.

That interview was sensational. You can tell they are still processing their emotions. I like how “to the point” Sully is. He mentioned how someone on the wing of the plane came up and said “thanks, you saved my life” and the interviewer asked “what did you say in response?”. Sully just said “you’re welcome”. Not like a rock star or athlete would say it, he just had things to do…