Burgundy Black Hole

When I started collecting wine, and specifically red Burgundy, the 2002 vintage was on the shelf and the 2005s were not far behind. I’ve filled in as best as I can along the way. In doing some inventory work recently though, it seems there is a black hole in my not so distant future Burgundy drinking plans. I’m working around the edges, but it’s pulling me in and it’s pretty big to get around. There is a three year hole in my collection.

This is a vintages question. I’m loving my 2002 vintage wines, but those are dwindling. I’ve got few of the surly 2003 vintage. I thankfully have only a hand full of 2004s left. I’m not expecting my 2005s will be revealing their beauty any time soon. I have a few from 1999 and 2001, but not nearly enough to plug this hole.

What to do? Back fill 2002? Commit mass infanticide of my 2007s? Jump ship and further my explorations of Oregon and California pinot noir? I’ll keep drinking my Bordeaux, Rhones and California Cabernets along the way, but I need my pinot noir fix.

Is anyone else running into this? Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t think opening any 2007 can be called infanticide. This is exactly what a vintage like 2007 is for. Drink 'em up while you wait on your '05s. And also enjoy sampling the 2009s and 2010s on the shelves now.

2007 Volnay

Good suggestions, both. Thank you. I’ve got a 2007 Volnay (Champy) standing. My Bouchard Clos des Chenes though are probably better served to beavers at this point.

I had some really nice 2009 Village-level wines when I was in Paris last Fall. Maybe I should move some of those up in line too. Some of my own are from some of my favorite producers and I usually try to let those get happy for at least five years. They seemed pretty round and happy already at release.

'09s are in a real nice place now. I’m trying to get to as many as I can while they’re still showing this well.

2007 is an early drinking vintage. I would drink them.

For backfilling, look to 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2002. Those vintages are still around at a decent price. Of course, buy any 1999s you can find, but they won’t solve your problem as they still need time. Avoid 2003 and 2004.

Why not try some Barolo/Barbaresco, the wine the Burgundians try to emulate?

I opened a 2007 Jadot Clos des Ursules magnum Saturday night, and with a healthy 8 hour decant it was drinking as well as could be expected. Better with food. I’d open it again if I could time warp.

Dave, oh boy, it’s turf war now. Put down the cork screw, walk away and no one gets drunk. Just kidding.

I’ve been buying those too along the way and back filling those lately too. My Burgs outnumber those by a long shot. I just picked up a six pack of the Conterno Romirascos on the recent blow out (3 from '04 and 3 from '06). I’ve about 1.5 cases from 2000-2004, but I like to let those get pretty far down the road. Maybe it’s time to start pulling some corks.

Thanks!

Check out 1991, 1992, 1998 and 2000 where the price’s right. The first two are unfashionable enough years to be attractively priced and give lots of pleasure. I’m a huge fan of 2000 for current drinking.

Yeah, those are wines to drink young. [soap.gif]

I’d also add 1995 to that list. I have had some really great '95s in the last few years at great prices.

I’ll be a bit of a contraian and say that while I think 2007s are nice for near term drinking I don’t see any reason they shouldn’t improve with age. Its not like they have no acid. 2000s have certainly continued to improve (IMHO) though they may be nearing a peak.

Here is my basic MO as Im in a similar situation as you: Continue to cellar wines that you dont plan to drink for years or decades but for current consumption buy high-end aged burgs and low/mid tier “latest” vintage burgs. I think young and fresh burgs can offer alot of immediate pleasure but that window doesn’t last forever. Also, there are some beaujolais producers that produce burgundian style wines and Gamay ages alot faster than pinot for whatever reason.

Totally agree with this. 98 and 2000 drink very well right now and have good pricing.

Surprised no one mentioned 2006. IMHO they are inexpensive and drinking well.

Lots of good advice here…

If you like '02’s, then buy some more. '98, '00, '01 as mentioned also good to back fill on, and many are drinking very well now, especially the '00’s which always seem to look good.

Drink '06, '07, '09 now, all of which seem to drink very well young also…

I drank a lovely pair of 08s recently that, due in part to their lacey textures, were really great drinks despite their youth. Faiveley Gevrey Craipillot and Dublere MSD Blanchards. With about 20 minutes in the decanter, each was open and lovely and I didn’t feel like I was baby-killing in the slightest - and those who drink with me know that I hate doing that!

WTF??? Have you never heard of Maureen’s rule??? [wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif]

Loving some of these '07’s enjoyed drouhin chorey les beaune last night for 20 bones, good qpr, give it 30-40 minutes

+1 on 2007. Also 2000 but I don’t see many of them around.

2011 will also be a friendly early drinking vintage.

And yes, backfill on 2002 and 2001