TN: 2007 J.L. Chave Hermitage Blanc

Having read the thread on “White Rhones” I was inspired to open a bottle of this wine with a good friend of mine at dinner the other night. J.L. Chave is one of my favorite Hermitage producers and his Hermitage Rouge is always one of the best of the Northern Rhone IMO. Their Hermitage Blanc is 100% Marsanne which is makes it unique among most producers. I typically find 100% Marsanne wines lacking complexity and acidity to counter balance the rich texture and flavors of this grape. This was not the case with this wine.

The nose of this wine showed minerality, stone fruit, citrus, honey suckle and some anise. Did not get the waxiness on the nose often associated with this grape. The texture of the wine was creamy but not oily or heavy. Great depth of flavor and a wine that was in perfect balance between the richness and acidity.

This was one of the best Marsanne wines I have ever had and one I believe will age classically.

I have no regrets drinking this wine now as it was amazing but for those who like aged white wines it will not disappoint.

Thanks for the note

I’m pretty sure that the Chave Hermitage Blanc is traditionally a blend of 80% Marsanne and 20% Roussanne (give or take).

That´s also what I´ve been told for decades: 80 M, 20 R.
If you´d like to drink 100 % M, you´ve got to take Chapoutier!

I stand corrected.

Or Delas Freres “Marquise de la Tourette”
Or Chave “Blanche”
Or Bernard Faurie

Whoa! I should have known better than to post on this board without checking my facts first. [truce.gif]

For what it’s worth, the '02 Chave Blanc was rocking good last week here in Portland. Still young but showing lovely honey and wax notes. So pure and long. Yum.

Jim, agree, but it will only get better. One of the highlights of my wine experiences was a 91 Blanc opened in the cellar. Though clearly showing some age, it was an amazing wine :slight_smile:

Hi Alan,

No doubt it will get better but no regrets drinking it young. Still thinking about that wine.

I’m pretty sure that the Chave Hermitage Blanc is traditionally a blend of 80% Marsanne and 20% Roussanne (give or take).[/quote]

That´s also what I´ve been told for decades: 80 M, 20 R.
If you´d like to drink 100 % M, you´ve got to take Chapoutier![/quote]
Or Delas Freres “Marquise de la Tourette”
Or Chave “Blanche”
Or Bernard Faurie[/quote]

Bernard Faurie produces some stunning examples of both Hermitage Blanc and Rouge. Thanks for mentioning.