BBQ Wines

The last 2 weekends, we had a few BBQs and drank a few wines…some quick notes…

2005 Egon Muller Riesling Kabinett: This was absolutely stunning and a baby. Probably the best Kabinett I have had, and possibly the most expensive as well.

2004 Rousseau Charmes Chambertin: This did not do it for me. I love Rousseau and I tasted the 2004s out of barrel a few years ago and remembered that the village Gevrey was my 4th favorite wine (behind the Beze, Chambertin and CSJ). Probably might hold true today.

1999 Ridge Monte Bello: This performed very well, especially after the Rousseau. Big, rich, meaty, I would be willing to hang on to this one for a few more years.

2005 Chateau de Chamirey Mercurey Blanc: This was on closeout here in NY, and I bought in. Loving every btl that I am drinking. A very light on its feet white Burgundy, and a good starter to any meal.

2002 Jasper Hill Shiraz Georgia’s Paddock: After seeing Pobega’s poor review, I decided to pop one (I think I have one 2003 left after this). This was good but hardly thrilling. If you told me it was $15 beanies, I would be happy, but at the SRP of $75+, very poor value.

2002 Paradigm Cabernet Sauvignon: Full disclosure, I am a big fan of Paradigm wines. I have stayed in the guest house, had meals with people associated with the winery and am very good friends with Robin, their national sales manager…this wine ROCKED! I think 2002 was one of their great vintages (1994 as well!). This was showing very well and everyone at the table had good things to say. Sorry I do not have more of this one.

2006 Outpost Zinfandel HM: This is Outpost’s best wine, IMO. You will never convince me otherwise. Tips the scales at nearly 17% alcohol, but you get none of that stuff in the glass. Big rich, CALIF ZIN, no surprises, but a great flavor profile.

2006 Pierre Yves Colin Morey St Aubin Chateniere: If you have not tried PYC yet, it is never too late. This guy makes great white Burgundy. My wife, after his first sip, turned to me and said, “this must be expensive.” Not so much, but this all that and and a bag of chips.

2005 Slingshot Cabernet Sauvignon Napa: New project from the team at Stewart Cellars. I love Stewart Cellars Cabernet. I enjoyed the Slingshot while I was cooking up the BBQ chicken, but it turned out to be an awful pairing with dinner. Not sure why, very weird.

Nice notes Dan.

I agree 100% on your Outpost comments as well as the Paradigm.

Don’t worry your secret is safe on the internets!

[gheyfight.gif]

+2

Amazing how 16%+ alcohol can be so integrated with a wine; I love their zin. I also love paradigm, I think this is my top under the radar producer in Napa. 91 is still rocking and drinking 5 years younger right now. Nice note on the 02, looks like I will need to seek some out.

Tyler and Bill, thanks. I am in the camp that I shy away from high alcohol wines WHEN IT SHOWS. I do not care if a wine is 16+ as long as it does not taste like Skittle Vodka! Outpost Zin never shows the heat for me. The Grenache OTOH…

Josh: I have no secrets…just check out TMZ.com :wink:

Nice notes Dan. No wonder you never discount those maggies of Paradigm you have tucked away…

+3 on the Outpost. Incredibly well balanced, yet rich and powerful, wine. Tasted it with Daniel at his shop…he was plying me with cheeseburgers so I may be a bit biased. Hmmmm, maybe I can pursue a career as a wine critic! [whistle.gif]

I forgot about that one, there is just one lone soldier left. I have a 2004 for myself!

Dan–

I agree on the paradigm - one of my favorites. I was going to open an '03 last weekend for the board-wide tasting, but was under the weather. I’ll open it this weekend and post a note. I know it’s not the best vintage, but based on one I opened last year, I think they did a damn good job with the wine in '03. We’ll see how it holds up this year.

Greg

Greg

I agree, not their best wine, but 2003 Paradigm is still a good one.

Dan,

To be a pedant, the Egon Muller is the “Scharzhofberger Kabinett” I assume and it is a stunner in 2005, though I prefer the 2001 due to better acidity and rockiness.

Nice to see some notes from 'ya! [dance-clap.gif]

Yes it was the Scharz…whatever you say Kabinett,

I have been posting a reasonable amount of notes over here, since no one accuses me of shilling for the store. We only sell a few of these, like the Slingshot, which I was not too kind to.

Shilling…no.

Bashing…YES.

[welldone.gif]

Bashing is a strong word. I have yet to see anyone prove that I have lied. I prefer “telling the truth” over here.

Fair enough. I just took that descriptor from the thread title…my bad.

YEah Bill…quit bashing poor Dan. pileon

Yeah…poor, poor Dan.

I am very sensitive.

Jorge, in your avatar, I see Zoe, and your daughter. Is that you next to your daughter? I thought you had a beard.

And less hair.