TN: Aged Bordeaux and Cali

KAHNS “LOOK WHAT WE FOUND” TASTING EVENT - Seasons 52, Indianapolis (7/25/2012)

Kahns Fine Wines in Indianapolis hosted a tasting event of fifteen Bordeaux and California wines. All wines were from a single cellar collection the store had recently acquired.

• 1970 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    My opening wine of the night. A complex wine that included strong minerality, floral elements, mild cassis, and strawberry. No tannins were evident, possibly beginning decline but still a lovely and complex wine. (93 pts.)
  • 1975 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Crimson red and much darker than other wines on the table. Mushrooms and scorched earth hit the nose with tar and leather also coming across on the palate. This wine is silky smooth with a moderate finish and mouth-watering acidity. (94 pts.)
  • 1981 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Minerals, dry earth, and dried cherries. Minimal acid and structure evident. On the decline, but clearly a solid wine nonetheless. (89 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    The nose on this was a bit muted but light red fruits were still evident. The palate also revealed sauteed porcini mushrooms along with the fruit. High acid and a buttery smoothness made for an excellent experience. This likely needed more time to open up. (95 pts.)
  • 1970 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    A big, full bodied wine. This wine was singing right from the pour. Raw venison, fresh mushrooms, and cassis were clearly evident. Completely mouth-coating, velvety smooth, with an epic finish. A fabulous wine at peak with time to spare. (97 pts.)
  • 1970 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Another big red wine. Burnt sugar, cranberry, and chocolate overwhelming the palate. A complex and excellent wine, but the specific flavors really didn’t do it for me (FWIW). (95 pts.)
  • 1970 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Minerals, dry earth, herbes de provance, and a hint of fresh mushrooms. a wonderfully complex wine with plenty of acid and clear structure to go quote a bit longer. (96 pts.)
  • 1973 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon Vintage Selection - USA, California, Napa Valley
    In the last few years I’ve had Burgess cabs from 1995-2005, and was shocked at how well this wine was showing. Big and full bodied with dark fruits hitting the nose and palate right away, especially plum and black raspberry. Plenty of structure, not in decline. (94 pts.)
  • 1979 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Another big, full bodied wine showing cherries, wet earth and a medicinal (cough medicine)- like quality. A quality wine, but the flavor components hitting my palate weren’t quite my style. (90 pts.)
  • 1985 Alexander Valley Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley
    corked. NR (flawed)
  • 1983 Duckhorn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena
    Red fruit, bright acid, and a touch of tannins hanging in there. I guzzled this one a bit quickly at the end of the evening, but it was clearly still enjoyable. Perhaps past its prime but only just so. (90 pts.)
  • 1984 Château Talbot - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    light scorched earth or perhaps a the scent of a wood burning fireplace combined with cherry and dark red fruits. very nice wine, perhaps judged harshly because of the competition tonight. (88 pts.)

There were a few additional wines tasted this evening, but my palate was shot and I was distracted by trying to purchase bottles of some of these wines and therefore did not include tasting notes. Ultimately, this was a fantastic event with a chance to taste some amazing wines.
Posted from CellarTracker

Wow, a really interesting bunch of mature wines! Thanks for the notes. Fwiw, I had a disappointing experience with a '70 Leoville Las Cases a couple years back. I think the review I read was also very lukewarm.

thanks for the reply. I struggled with how to score the LLC. I don’t often come across wines I think are really high quality but not to my taste…

I hate to ask, but, did they have decent deals on the bottles they were selling. Don’t answer if your not comfortable posting it.

One hopes the '73 Duckhorn was a typo in your TN, because their first vintage was 1978.

You were really lucky with the '70 LMHB…the last time I had a bottle not ruined by excessive VA was in 1996!

They were offering all wines below the lowest price available on Wine Searcher Pro. Additional discounts (10-20%) were available for multi-bottle purchases.

One hopes the '73 Duckhorn was a typo in your TN, because their first vintage was 1978.

You were really lucky with the '70 LMHB…the last time I had a bottle not ruined by excessive VA was in 1996!

My apologies, after some research, it appears it was a 1983 Duckhorn. I will edit my TN accordingly.

Good to know about the Mission HB, I bought a bottle of this after the tasting…

That store has some cool stuff but they don’t ship to MN.