Next Bedrock release?

Seems like a while since I heard about a Bedrock release. Anyone have any idea when the next one is coming, and/or what’s in it?

I sent Morgan an email last week asking him about the release and here was his reply:

“It is slated for the second Tuesday in August. Will be mainly 2011 zinfandel along with the 2010 griffins lair syrah and 2011 Compagni Portis.”

OK, whoever this “Morgan” guy is, he sounds knowledgeable.

newhere

Hey Guys! The next release is going to be on August 7th to current members of the Mailing List with members of the Waiting List getting a chance at any wines leftover the following Tuesday the 14th (which will be roughly when we start picking for the new sparkling!). Though I reserve the right to change my mind about anything, based on what I tasted today I plan on releasing the following (I have included the couple notes I have already written):

2011 Compagni Portis Heritage White

2011 Sonoma Valley Old-Vine Zinfandel: If there is any wine of the 2011 releases that accurately demonstrates the poised, claret-like, character of the 2011 vintage it is the 2011 Sonoma Valley Old-Vine. The late ripening Stellwagen Vineyard once again was included into this cuvee to lend its dark fruit, and Casa Santinamaria, another vineyard originally slated for vineyard designation, was included for its beautiful spice. The remainder of the wine is composed of Zinfandel from the terraced Los Chamizal Vineyard, some younger vine fruit from Rossi Ranch in Kenwood, a few barrels of Monte Rosso Zinfandel, and a dollop of old-vine Carignane and Mourvedre from my Bedrock Vineyard. This is old-school Zin- bright, focused, and energetic. Like previous releases of this wine, I would expect it will reward a year or so of short-term aging.

2011 Evangelho Heritage Wine, Contra Costa County: I might be more excited about this wine than any wine in the cellar this year. The 100±year-old mixed vines of Evangelho Vineyard stretch upwards on their own roots out of 40’ banks of sand. This wine was made on a lark and a percentage of its profits should probably be given back to my friend who called me September 9th of 2011 saying that Frankie Evangelho still had some fruit, and that it was good. I arrived at the vineyard having never been to Contra Costa County before. Upon arriving I rubbed my bleary eyes, trying to clarify the image of vines from California’s viticultural antiquity standing proud against the backdrop of softly blinking lights atop the tours of the PG and E power plant behind it. I was greeted by Frank Evangelho, forever to be known as Frankie from here forward, and as my bins were loaded on the picking trailers I was asked what I wanted to pick. I asked about Zinfandel, but after tasting delicious unpicked Mourvedre and Carignane I asked about that too. We started picking: first the Zinfandel, mixed with Carignane and Mourvedre, then the Mourvedre mixed with Carignane and some whites, and then the Carignane mixed with Mourvedre and whites. He asked if I wanted the whites. Sure! Back at the winery the fruit was all destemmed together into the same fermenter. I am not quite sure what is actually what but my guess is that it is about 40% Zinfandel, 25% Mourvedre, 15% Carignane, and 10% mixed whites. The wine, if I may say so, is fucking delicious. As with Rhone wines that grow on sand, the wine is marked by high-tone perfume and lift, broad rich fruit, and a pirouette of bright acid that leaves the mouth watering. What is perhaps most exciting is that in the three years of 2009, 2010, and 2011, where I generally have to tell people to “wait! Don’t drink that yet!,” I can say,” Drink this! Drink it with this year’s Turkey!”

2011 Papera Ranch Zinfandel, Russian River Valley

2011 Saitone Ranch Zinfandel, Russian River Valley: From a vineyard right next to Papera planted in 1896.

2011 Dolinsek Heritage Wine, Russian River Valley

2011 Bedrock Heritage Wine, Sonoma Valley

2010 Griffin’s Lair Syrah, Sonoma Coast

You may notice that the term Heirloom is no longer being used, which is thanks to a C and D from Diageo. That said, the juice is the same!

Awesome, I love the wines from the old sand-grown Contra Costa County mixed vineyards

Can’t wait to try these wines. Hopefully allocations won’t be too meager.
Sad to hear that Big Business has yet again taken on a small guy, sickens me to hear.

Um, OK…that’s a bit more information than I had anticipated…awesome! Looking forward to it.

Also, what the fuck gives Diageo the right to claim exclusivity to an ordinary descriptive English term?

Money and lawyers.
Hey Diageo, [middle-finger.gif]

What’s the “big business” - legal issue?

Nice read, Morgan. Drank a 2010 Bedrock syrah last 2 nights. Quite nice. Has evolved quite a bit since release.

Morgan - FYI, I own the trademark to “Heritage”. In lieu of a C&D from my lawyers, I will settle for one case of each of your wines. :slight_smile:

Those words speak plenty to me. I ordered 3 bottles last year, and will order more than that next month. [cheers.gif]

[middle-finger.gif] FUCK Diageo! They can’t hold your jock Morgan.

Can’t wait for the 7th of August!

Hey Morgan: If you want a really fun C&D letter just use “Olympic” instead of “Heritage.” You could even try something like Zinfalympic. You will get a letter.

Question about the Evangelho vineyard wine… IIRC, about 20 years Ridge produced several vintages of a Mataro (their word for Mourvedre) that I think was from the Evangelo vineyard (no “h”) in Contra Costa County. Same vineyard with a different spelling, perhaps? I think the last vintage of the Ridge Evangelo Mataro that I recall seeing was circa 1993…

Cheers,
Rowen

I am on the wait list and am dying to get an allocation. Based on prior allocations, does anyone know if the entire wait list crowd gets a chance to buy any of the leftovers? Also, is it safe to assume there will be leftovers this year? I will be standing guard at my computer on August 14th.

For the spring release, ordering was opened to the wait list on a first-come, first-served basis. This was after allocations and wishlist bottles were distributed, so the selection was limited. I managed to get a few bottles of Kick Ranch, a couple whites, and a Rose. Really wish I’d gotten more of the Rose, but that was my idiocy rather than a limited supply.

On a related note, Sherman & Hooker’s Shebang “Cuvee V” has recently appeared in stores.

Can you share any details on that, Morgan?

Rowen, I would assume it’s the same vineyard. Many of the old vine vineyards in that part of Contra Costa County call the Mourvedre “Mataro” I think most of the vineyards in that area were originally planted by Portuguese immigrants and that’s the reason for the Mataro name.

Yep, there were a lot of Portuguese farmers and dairymen in Contra Costa County a hundred years (and then some) ago.