TN: 2005 Native 9 Pinot, 2006 Aubert Reuling Pinot

From poker last night…

2006 Aubert “Reuling” Pinot Noir
Decanted. Translucent ruby color. Medium body. Red cherries in the nose and a bit of spice. Very smooth but not much structure. Moderate acid. Moderate complexity and medium finish. Drink over the next 5 years.
85pts

2005 Native 9 “Ontiveros” Pinot Noir
Deep red color. Medium-full body. Very nice nose of brambly red fruits and cola. Smells more like an Anderson Valley pinot than one from the central coast. In the mouth a bit disjointed at first, and resolves a bit more after a couple of hours. Drink over the next 5 years. Without question, better than the Aubert, but this may be due to the fact that 05 was a much better vintage. If the mouthfeel gets better and catches up to the nose this will be a low-90pt wine in time.
87pts

2000 Ch. Talbot, St. Julien
Deep purple color. Medium-full body. Shockingly open for either a 00 and especially for Talbot, this early. Nice earthy and black fruit aromas. Well-balanced. Medium length finish with a nice, dusty grip. This wine, or at least this bottle, is drinking well right now but will be even better in 5 years. I do have some doubts about this being a super long lived wine because it is already quite nice.
91pts

I liked the Aubert more than you did. Didn’t have much aromatics, but there was enough stuffing in the mid to make me think there are better days ahead.

The Native9 aromatically was one of the best I’ve ever tried. Rich, vibrant red fruit and cola - amazing. The palate was linear and not all that exciting, which was a disappointment.

WOTN for me – the 01 Fritz Haag… followed very closely by the 01 Sauterne (producer escapes me).

Agree with the Haag and wanted to post it, but forgot which one it was. I know it was an Auslese.

interesting note on the aubert. although i am not a huge fan of 2006 pinots in general, i have found that they do tend to drink a little better with more time in the bottle. at least i hope that is the case with the aubert. [dontknow.gif]