TN: 1992 Dehlinger Syrah Estate (USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley)

• 1992 Dehlinger Syrah Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (7/6/2009)
    Popped the 1992 Estate Syrah last night with grilled rack of lamb. Perfectly mature and showing all of its glory. Full of secondary Syrah characteristics, white pepper, sous-bois, blackberry, and a bit of dark chocolate. Full mid-palate and a long satisfying finish. A perfect match for the lamb. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Very nice. Thanks for the note.

Jason

I only hope I can keep some of my Dehlinger around that long!!

BTW, what is ‘sous-bois’?

Very nice, oldest I’ve had is the 94, which is a superb wine (still).
Cheers

You gotta shoot me a note when you open older Dehlinger’s, tell me what I need to bring, and I’ll be down in T-town in no time…well 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.

Great note, Philip. I’ve gone back as far as '96, which was quite nice. The '92 sounds like a treat. Well done.

How were you at analogies on the SATs?

“Pain grille” is to “toast”

as

“sous bois” is to . . . “damp woods”.

For someone named “French”, you don’t speak it too good! [pwn.gif]

Alan - agree. I had a couple of 94 Syrahs that I finished in 2004 or 05 or so. Terrific at 10 years of age.

I didn’t study French because 1) I don’t care, and 2) I’m not French.

These stupid French terms for English terms just for the sake of sounding French - blah.

I dunno, some of them have a certain je ne sais quoi.

Todd, I agree with you. When I was a little kid, my mother got her hair done at a “beauty parlor”. Then these places started using the French word for hair dresser “coiffeur”. I remember asking my mother what’s the difference between a “hair dresser” and a “coiffeur”. My father’s quick answer was “20 bucks!”

A friend of mine was in Paris eating dinner by himself. So even though he knows no French, he was listening to the sound of the conversation of a group of people at the next table. In the middle of a long conversation in French, one of them said (in English) “It has that . . . I don’t know what.”

I guess stuff always sounds cooler in another language, n’est-ce pas?

I think I’m going to open my last 1992 Estate Pinot sometime this week. Maybe I’ll hold for the weekend. Kris, you interested?

Cheers,

I think I have a couple left, remind me some time.

I recall in one newsletter Tom stated that Syrah was his favorite to work with. And with what he does with Pinot, Cab and Chard…that says alot.

I bow to him. Just had the last '07 Rose…I almost cried.

Good for you to hold on to these, Dustoff. You’re a stronger man than I.