TN: DRC La Tache '88 and DRC Grand Echezeaux '99

Enjoyed over the night across several courses. We had some other stuff (champagne, bordeaux, cali cab, scotch), but I was too lazy to take notes.

• 1988 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru (6/30/2012)
    Still showing some nice fruit on the nose, but has that great older burgundy funk too. Very big black cherry and currant on the nose with the expected Asian spices. The nose really lasts for days with impressive complexity and layers. A bit fat in the taste, lacking the acidity you’d find in a better vintage. Nonetheless, this was an impressive wine with a smooth finish and is probably drinking as well today as it will in the future. (94 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/30/2012)
    A bit tight on the nose at first. After about an hour it opened a bit to asian spice and mint leaves. This had a nice jammy flavor and a great finish, but was not as acidic as I’d expect a '99 to be. Perhaps more to do with the individual bottle; this was an excellent wine, but nothing profound. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m not sure lack of acidity is an 88 characteristic!
I’ve had this Tache once maybe 12 years ago-the nose was uttery transcendental perfuming eveything in its vicinity like a great white truffle. The palate was less exciting in comparison but it was of course a baby.

I’d say I felt the same way about the Tache – amazing nose, unexciting palate. Perhaps it was this specific bottle, but it was a bit flabby and flat on the palate.