Placerville Wines

The old Montevina winery has a new line of wines, Terra d’Oro. They have a beautiful rose (nebbiolo), very pink, nice and dry. Perfect for summer hot weather.

I was under the impression that Montevina was a property belonging to the Trincheros and that they had been making Terra d’Oro for many years.

Was I misinformed?

No, Mark, you’re right. Even the Terra d’Oro line has been around a while. Last time I tasted there back in '03, I was underwhelmed. I thought that some of their wines were underperforming at price point. Some decent stuff at fair prices, but the Terra d’Oro line was mostly concept over substance. I would be inclined to give a neb rose a look, though, in the quest for something different.

Montevina recently has changed the name of their main label to Terra d’Oro, taking the name of their ‘premium’ line.

You guys are correct, the Terra d’Oro line has been around for many years and Montevina has recently taken over that name for all their wines. Never found any of their wines very exciting to be honest.

And of course they’re not in the Placerville area - they’re located a good deal farther south in the Shenandoah Valley of Amador County.

Sakes alive, doesn’t a pretty lady like you have a name?

Oh, yes you do.

2006 Lot 106 Syrah, Cameron Hughes, Sonoma Mountain - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;