Was I lost - a Burg guy enjoying the Napa Valley

This past week, I was in the Napa Valley giving a speech at a conference for work and got to visit a few wineries - not as many as I had hoped (worked interfered on Tuesday) but enough to have had a great time (remembering of course that I was there for work).

After landing in SF, we went to Ridge before heading up to the Napa Valley. Boy is that a long way up the mountain. But, getting there cannot be a secret because the place was absolutely packed. Made the visit less fun, the still the wines were outstanding as always. The Monte Bello 2007 was outstanding, but so were their Chardonnay, Petite Sirah and, esp., the regular Cabernet.

In the Napa Valley, we went to Chateau Montelena, Mayacamas and Stony Hill. Going to Ridge, Mayacamas and Stony Hill, I feel like I am now an expert on driving up and down mountain roads.

Tasting at these four wineries is like taking a step back in time. I actually loved the Chardonnays. No malolactic fermentation and minimal if any new oak. All of the Chardonnay’s were simply outstanding. Probably the Stony Hill was the strongest of the four and the Montelena the weakest, but I would not bet that is the way I would rank them if I tasted them blind. Each of them was really great.

But, the stars were the Cabernet from Ridge, Chateau Montelena and Mayacamas. I drink a good bit of Ridge and Montelena wines and they did not disappoint at all. Outstanding Cabernet. We had the 2004, 2005 and 2006 Estate Cabernet from Montelena (probably in order of favorites 2005, 2004 and then 2006 which was either a bit young or just not as good as the other two). The Chateau Montelena Napa was also quite good, but probably not as good or as good a value as the Ridge Santa Cruz Cabernet, which is just a great value in California Cabernet.

On the other hand, I had not had a Mayacamas Cabernet in many years. I was really impressed with the power of the 2006 Cabernet. This was not power borne of high alcohol, late picking, new oak and winemaking tricks, but a much different type of power built of old vines (the vines I saw just along the road by the winery were the thickest vines I have ever seen) and old fashioned wine making - concrete fermentation vats and mostly old oak. Wow!!! What a wine. I also was very impressed by their 2005 and 2009 Chardonnays. Excellent wines.

I wish some of you (and winemakers) would skip the fancy newest producers and just go visit sometimes these old standard-bearers and try these wines.

And, the personal attention we got at Mayacamas and Stony Hill made for two great visits. Very friendly and just wonderful visits. In fact, my visit as Stony Hill was one of the nicest visits I have ever had at a winery anywhere. I had not tasted Stony Hill before, but just knew of it as a legendary wine where the Chardonnays age forever. We were hosted by Ms. McCrea (she and her husband own the winery) on the sort of back porch of her old house. We were high on a mountain top and the views were just absolutely spectacular. We just talked and drank wine for a very long time. This is a special memory I will never forget. Mrs. McCrea also gave us a great visit to the winery - again old barrels (in fact the greyest barrels I have seen since the first time I visited Jacky Truchot [welldone.gif]). We had a 2010 Gewurztraminer that reminded me of a German Gewurz, more than one from Alsace. Very good wine. We also had a excellent 2010 riesling that kind of reminded me of a pfalz wine. We had an excellent rose and a sauternes-like sweet wine. All quite nice. But the star was the Chardonnay.

Stony HIll is a great visit and the property is amazing. Still have yet to make it to Maycamas, but hopefully this Summer.

Thanks for the great notes.

Great stuff.

I wish some of you (and winemakers) would skip the fancy newest producers and just go visit sometimes these old standard-bearers and try these wines.

I don’t.

Those are what I buy. I hope everyone else tries to by Sauvignon Blanc from Screaming Eagle. I like my prices sub $100 thank you.

Good point. But, I don’t think you have to worry. Nobody ever listens to me. [soap.gif]

Thanks for the fine account, Howard!

Yes, it was fun to hear your enthusiasm, Howard. I’ve had the same reaction to the cabs at Corison and the little-known Wing Canyon on Mt. Veeder on visits in recent years.

I’m headed out there in a week. I’ll definitely have to book an appointment at Stony Hill. I tried last time but they weren’t available that day.

I was planning to go to Corison, but worked interfered.

did you need an appointment?
alan

Awesome. Thanks for the write up. Glad to hear Mayacamas being talked about again.

Jason

Had the Mayacamus at the last Family Winemaker’s shindig and it stole the show.
Best, Jim

I did for Stony Hill and Mayacamas. Also, fora special library tasting at Montelena.

[ResizeableImage=][/ResizeableImage]

Is Dr. Burg on the verge of cracking?

And I musta got lost, musta got lost, musta got lost
Somewhere down the line, hey
Musta got lost, baby, I got lost girl
Give away the day you were mine

Musta got lost, I got lost, musta got lost
somewhere down the line
Musta got lost, I got lost girl
Give away the day you were mine

Been having sort of an 80s weekend (about to go watch Diner) so this seemed to fit in.

Great report Howard. Mayacamas is a wonderful place to visit, they are really friendly up there. Chris Travers was pouring at Chambers recently and I got to try the lineup, the 06 is very good but quite backward, while the 04 when I had it a year or two ago was much more open and juicy. They have a unique style, whether it’s the old vines, the mt veeder terroir, or their unusual elevage, their wines taste like nothing else made in California that I’ve tried.

Thanks Corey for the background. I did not realize that they made wines that were less backward. Interesting.

Yeah, I didn’t either and was shocked at how drinkable the 04 was, a bit more upfront fruit and the tannin a little finer and less blocky and chewy. Maybe it’s a vintage thing, I think 2004 was a ripe, hot vintage in Napa. I doubt they picked any later that year or changed the wine-making at all.

I like ridge but found the Santa Cruz was way over oaked bordering on preposterous

Howard now that you’re a cab guy I’d be willing to take all that nasty Truchot off your hands so you can pursue your new love. :slight_smile:

I have always liked Bordeaux and other Cabs, at least when made properly. I love Burgs. Not much has changed, except that I found two new wineries - Mayacamas and Stony Hill. I have been buying Ridge and Montelena for a long time.