More notes

White:

2006 Fillaboa, Albariño, Selectión Finca Monte Alto:
Spicy, licorice/resin, peach, lemon drop, medium intensity nose with mineral accents; broad in the mouth with considerable minerality, flavors echo the nose with salt and nutmeg tones, a fairly richly textured delivery, good acidity; remarkably long. Few Albariño approach this level of concentration and complexity. Do Ferreiro’s, Cepas Vellas does, but I can’t think of another. And this was only $17 whereas the Cepas is $38. Thanks Victor.

Reds:

2002 Hess Collection, Cabernet Sauvignon Mt. Veeder:
Lumberyard nose with almost no fruit getting through; soft and smooth in the mouth with a plush texture, decent fruit but too much oak; very drying/ woody finish. A waste, IMO; the fruit that came off this mountain deserved better than to be buried under a clear-cut a forest.

2007 Overnoy/Houillon, Arbois Pupillin:
Poulsard may be my favorite red grape, at least chez Overnoy/Houillon – when I compare the 2006 version of this wine to the 2007 there is a noticeable difference. 2006 was a fully ripe, fleshy, well-concentrated wine; this is more delicate, thinner even, and nuanced. These “off” years are so enchanting and interesting. The ripest vintages seem to appeal physically, the others, mentally. Fortunately, I enjoy both. Pomegranate, strawberry, mineral nose with an earthy tilt to all the aromas; much the same in the mouth, gossamer texture, lithe and bright, dry, intense; medium length. Special wine.

2007 Conquista de Argentina, Malbec:
Floral, spicy, purple fruit smells, some violet and high-toned pepper; bright in the mouth with flavors that follow the nose, excellent balance, not any sign of wood and much more complex than anticipated; medium length, well-balanced finish. Detailed wine that delivers good varietal character, a sense of place and very pretty fruit for $7. Back up the truck.

2007 Bodegas Luigi Bosca, Malbec Finca La Linda:
Deeper and richer than the foregoing wine with a more saturated overall delivery but pretty much the same flavors and smells. Full bodied, a worsted texture and a longer finish – more concentrated and more intense. A wine I will certainly buy more of at $14.

Best, Jim