Friday Night Wines: Windy Oaks Chard, Saxum, Spring Mountain

• 2005 Windy Oaks Estate Chardonnay One Acre Schultze Family Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/3/2009)
    Popped and poured, didn’t last too long. Pale yellow. Wonderful fruit, sharp, citrus, lemon, granny smith apples. Very crisp and clean flavors. Lovely chardonnay.
  • 2005 Saxum Heart Stone Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (7/3/2009)
    Decanted one hour, consumed over three. The most elegant Saxum that I’ve had, restrained in color, nose and taste. The grenache really stood out in this bottle, spicy, sharp, red fruits. Built much like a traditional Chateauneuf with riper fruit. Very enjoyable and quite a contrast from the other Saxum bottlings.
  • 2003 Spring Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District (7/3/2009)
    Decanted 2 hours, consumed over three. Classic mountain Cabernet nose of leather, cedar and cassis. Very dark fruit dominant. Tannic at first, smoothed out through the midpalate and finish. Good mouthfeel. Still a baby, needs time in bottle to settle.

Posted from CellarTracker

Three terrific wines… never had a Spring Mountain (unless Jason H. reminds me otherwise)… but I agree on your description of the WO and Saxum. I had the WO more than a year back, and it seems to have developed nicely.