Living Right......TN: 2006 Carlisle Syrah Russian River Valley (USA, California, Sonoma County)

Another foray into my Carlisle stash and yet again, just a terrific bottle of wine. Forget the label…put this wine into a Reidel stem, serve it to me blind and I would pick it time after time as to what lives and expresses great CA syrah: aromatics, color, and fruit.

• 2006 Carlisle Syrah Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County (7/3/2009)
    I opened the wine, poured with dinner–no decant. Black fruit, charcoal, some tar, chocolate. For me, ready to drink. I saved 1/2 bottle for finishing tomorrow…finished most of the remainder tonight, leaving a small glass for tomorrow. What I notice tonight are 3 final things on this wine: the reminscent aromatics of SLH, which I also found in the 2005 version of this wine–smoky and aromatic, like a Rosella’s. Further, the color, as the wine shows very dark. And finally, the plushness of the wine, which I really enjoy. While it won’t lay a long finish on you, what I like about it this wine, and broadly Mike’s syrahs in general, is the palate weight and excellent fruit expression, which is just so consistent with Mike’s touch–density, color, broad fruit and polished. Drinking great and will be better in 1-2 more years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks, Frankie. I haven’t opened the RRV Syrahs yet, but have enjoyed the Sonoma bottlings, although not quite as much as you. Almost opened another last night with tacos at a friend’s house, but they made turkey meat for the tacos instead of ‘real’ meat. headbang

Guess I’ll open it later!