A sad sad tale

Last night With grilled lobster I went to pull a nice bottle. 2000 Carillon BBM I thought. After pulling the cork I saw the tell tale green on the bottom of the cork. Ret Roo. Yep the MOX. Sucks. Deep golden yellow with hints of sherry. Back to the cellar. 2002 Raveneau Butteaux. You want a safe bet after getting screwed like that. Wine was very good. Nice seashell aroma and classic Raveneau profile. Not especially deep or long put great for last night.

“Ret Roo”, Scooby’s favorite curses for the MOX??

wouldn’t that be “rut-row”

neener

That’s terrible. With all the pre-ox issues, it makes it hard to throw down on a nice bottle of white burgundy from certain producers. It really doesn’t feel like pre-ox is priced in to the cost of the bottle.

MAN…now I’m really getting nervous…ponied up some big bucks for a couple 2001 Carillon BBM’s…and after your 00 post, and SarahE’s 2 advanced '01’s…I’m not having high hopes for mine…which is a shame…shouldn’t be like that.

For such “rare” wines…only a couple dozen bottles make it to the US right??..there seems to be more sightings of these than you would think???

I was thinking, “ruck roo”, cursing at the cork.

In the FWIW category, about two years ago I opened an 01 Carillon PM Referts and it sure looked dark and seemed oxidised - so I opened something else and we went about our business. A couple of hours later, we revisited just to see - and damn if it hadn’t shaped up and become a lovely drink!!! Still dark but perky.

So Nick did you go back to the Carillon later just to see?

+1

I must’ve missed this before - there is a recognized visual indicator of premox on the corks? Is this where the bleached corks theory came from, and is a scientific explanation for the reaction that results in the green cork known? (e.g. Compound X + bleach = green cork)

Quite often with premoxed bottles there tends to be a telltale grey/green discoloration of the cork as well…

Noticed and reported here in the past by many including Paul and I and Gilman but usually a greenish metallic blue slimy colour.

Quite often over the last couple of years, I’ve opened white burgs with the telltale grey/green corks and I went “Oh! Oh!,” but there was no problem whatsoever with premox. The whole premox phenomenon simply defies generalizations of any kind. The reality is, we don’t know, they don’t know and the common sense lesson is that unless you are very well off and can afford to take the risk, drink Macons, Saint Verans, Bourgogne Blancs, and Chablis Villages. 2010 is an excellent vintage at this end of the spectrum to do just that. Superb wines for $20 to $30 per bottle. [cheers.gif]

Robert and Matt, Nice catch on the Scooby doo reference. I was watching cartoons with the kids when I typed this. Matt I think You’re right on the spelling. This just proves you spent way too much time watching TV as a kid.

Brian, what can you do ? The heart wants what the heart wants. Go bravely young soldier and pop away.

Maureen, as a matter of fact I did recork and put in the fridge. I forgot to check back though. I’ll check tonight.

I have also seen this sometimes on non oxidized bottles (always makes you take a deep breath), but I can’t remember a single oxidized bottle that wasn’t that green/blue/grey color though…

Maybe a sign of “about to premox”, and you caught it just in time…

Actually, I think it was the time in the decanter that helped - so if your wine isn’t good, try pouring some into a glass and give it 90 minutes and then report back.

will do. Thanks for the hint.

The reality is, we don’t know, they don’t know and the common sense lesson is that unless you are very well off and can afford to take the risk, drink Macons, Saint Verans, Bourgogne Blancs, and Chablis Villages. 2010 is an excellent vintage at this end of the spectrum to do just that. Superb wines for $20 to $30 per bottle.

David…100% agree. [welldone.gif] [highfive.gif]

I sometimes venture into St. Aubin …for vintage 2009 and 2010.

I am hanging onto my remaining g-crus and 1er crus from vintage 2002 (and before ) as my love for matured white bourgonge will never change.

Well went home and pulled it out of the fridge. Uncorked and poured a glass. Dead as a door nail. Poured half into a decanter to warm up a bit and needless to say it was just like Generalissimo Francisco Franco. Still dead.

I bought 9 bs of 1996 Montrachet - Laguiche when the wine was released. I drunk 2 when the wine was young and they were beautiful and needless to say…they needed years. I stored them deep at the lowest part of my cool cellar. I did not look at them until when they were at age 10. 4 of the 7 turned yellow.

I opened the yellowest one…dead.

I tried the same experimenet as you described above, still remained dead.

I also had no luck with the other 3 bottles which turned yellow.

A sad sad story. Same sad story with my 6 bs of 1996 Ramonet - BBM …[head-bang.gif]