Clash between German wine producers and Gault Millau guide (merged)

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a20090703.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like several key producers won’t be submitting their wines for review. Nominally the issue is a fee, but seems like there are broader underlying issues that aren’t entirely clear to me (unfortunately my German is pretty limited).

Jancis Robinson has a very interesting piece on her site reporting that 14 top German producers are refusing to be included in the Gault-Millau guide to German wines authored by Joel Payne and Armin Diel, the proprietor of Schlossgut Diel:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a20090703.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The producers are upset at the publisher’s demand that they pay €200 to be included on top of providing samples. (Hmm. Where have we heard of similar pay-to-play charges against critics recently?)

There’s also a throw-away at the bottom of the story that’s at least as interesting. She mentions that a lot of producers are conditioning their dues payments to the German Wine Institute on something. Does anyone out there know the back story on that?

Guys,

there is a heated discussion in Germany, but first the facts. The real facts and not rumorurs etc.:

This 200 Euros is not a TN-fee for the Gault Millau. You´re not forced to pay this amount and the wine-guide is still free from charges for the winemaker.

But when you pay 200 Euros than the winemaker will receive 3 books, a special GM recommendation plate and the winemaker acquire the copyright from the GM text.

So, this whole thing is a summer-theatre…

Cheers,
Martin

The winemaker Knisper said today: “Ich kann doch nicht Geld bezahlen, damit ich beurteilt werde“…” I cannot pay money that someone judge my wines"

But Knipser has no problem to pay money for the VINUM red wine competition. It is an open secret that every winemaker pays a certain amount for this competition by another german wine-magazine.

So, this summer-theatre has nothing to do about money, there are only personal things…