TN: 2005 Rhys Alesia Syrah Fairview Ranch

• 2005 Rhys Alesia Syrah Fairview Ranch - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (2/6/2009)
    Terrific complex kaleidoscope of a nose nose showing bacon fat, pepper, forest, rubber and smoke. Palate is initially lean showing a juicy soy character which after a couple hours becomes fatter with sweet fruit gaining dominance. Bit of tartness on the finish and the palate doesn’t measure up to the nose at the present but this still needs a couple years for best expression. Interesting wine that seems to oscillate between Northern Rhone and Central Coastal Cali.

Posted from CellarTracker

This was more pure pepper and bacon at Falltacular but I enjoyed it both times. A unique Syrah for CC Cali and it only adds to the large variety I’m seeing in Syrah for California. Definitely an interesting time for the variety with lots of exploration of region and styles. This speaks of SLH in some ways but doesn’t have the fleshiness that many of the wines from the region carry.

I had this two months ago and my experience was very much like yours. It will be interesting to try this in a couple of years and then again a few years after that.

Wish I had more of these to track over time… Your note sounds great, but I think I’ll wait another year or so to enjoy my single bottle.

I found this one cheap on WineBid Mike. $20 hammer price so I got it for less than $30 all in.

That is a nice price, I’ll look for more since I only have one left as well. I liked this wine last year when everybody was complaining about it being too funky.

Hmmm… thanks for the tip! I’ll keep my eyes open.

Wine Bid is a treasure trove these days… Just grabbed three of these @ $20 each!

How can that be?

Cris states that Rhys always doubles in value instantly!!

[foilhat.gif]

I think it’s the economy. [imwithstupid.gif]

Never said that Frenchy. Your memory is working worse than mine these days. [big_boss.gif]

Yep. Sweet eh? Makes some of those mailers easier to look past. [cheers.gif]

Posted on the previous location of WB:

Re: Rivers Marie mailer…

Post by Cris Whetstone on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:30 am

I’m picky. And BELIEVE me Frenchie I did you a favor in pushing you on the Alpine. I’ll take them off your hands if you no likey. And beware because that next offer is this week I think. More Alpine, different selections. No brainers also.

I would recommend buying the whole thing. Every bottling in the last offer even though they were 2006 doubled its value within months. So if you are worried you won’t like them they are fairly easy to sell. Not a ton made and are well sought after among the wine geeks. All the talk on the Chard is sounding good. I’m always skeptical with Chards but it seems unanimous.

Exactly - I made the comment to my wife last night that I could only buy from WB and limit myself to no more than $25 a bottle and still drink very well.

Read it again Frenchy. :roll:

I think the point’s been made, Wetrock…