A Very Nice Everyday Chablis

Inspired by other posters on the board I picked up a few under $40 Chablis while down in Chicago in May. Over the summer I have opened up a few with generally good results. Thus far my favorite has been the 2006 Domaine Servin Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre. I picked this one up for under $30.

This wine has a nice lemon zest mid-palate with decent minerality. The acidity is there, but not mouth-puckering, as I’ve experienced in some other young Chablis. Very nice finish. Of course this will improve with age, but it is very enjoyable at this point.

If you recommend it, Jan, I’m going to have to try and find it…

I’m all about the minerality in my whites now…

You won’t be disappointed !

Hope your summer is going well. We’ll be out in your general direction next week - a week in Tahoe. Looking forward to a little relaxation.

Thanks for the note. Sounds terrific.

Here’s one I had a few weeks back and around $22

2007 Domaine Séguinot-Bordet Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
We needed something to kick off the evening and while Traci and Christianne cooked and prepped. Christianne picked this up for about $22 and it is well worth the price. Nose shows a little flinty gun metal, minerals, lemon curd and roasted nuts. The palate is a little lean but crisp with more minerals, lime skin, a touch of honeysuckle. Finish is a little on the short side and it could use a little more palate weight but again a very tasty Chablis PC for the price. (88 pts.)

Tony,

That sounds very good as well. I am always keeping an eye out for good quality chablis. Always a great summer match with fresh fish.

Thanks for the note on the Servin Montee de Tonnerre. I’ll keep my eye out for it the next time I’m at Binny’s or Sam’s down in Chicago. If you get down to Chicago winehunting again soon, Binny’s carries the 2007 Servin Les Pargues for $20. It is a great buy and approaches 1er Cru quality even though it is officially an AOC vineyard. Before the site was abandoned during one of the World Wars, it was a 1er Cru. I’ve bought the 2004, 2005 and 2006 vintages in quantity and liked them all alot as QPR Chablis. I just finished my last 2004 about six weeks ago and it had lots of life left and was very enjoyable. The Les Pargues is a bit more accessible young than is the Montee de Tonnerre.

2007 Muscadet and Chablis. WineX has some nice stuff on the floor right now and friendly prices.

Let your fellow SoCal members know if you find it locally, Todd. Love a nice mineral laced French white.

Thanks for the note, Jan. Hope all is well up north (and east). Hope you get back to San Diego for another conference or excuse for an offline!

Servin is good as is Christian Moreau, Fevre Champs Royaux and Picq for under $20.

Shhhhhhhhh! I will be hunting these wascaly wabbits when I get to the OC tomorrow. I have many of these in my crosshairs.

At WineX - 2007 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Domaine Sainte Claire Vieilles Vignes - $21.99

You can thank me when I meet you at Frank’s. [wink.gif]

David - I picked up the Servin at Sam’s. My first time there and they were having a 20% off sale - perfect timing ! Not sure when I’ll be down in Chicago next, but I will be on the lookout for the wines you mentioned. Good to see another Wisconsinite on the board. Let me know if you ever get up to the Fox Cities.

Nancy - Thanks for the greetings. I will definitely look up the SoCal group next time I’m out. Our O/L in March was lots of fun. I was just thinking… Was that the first official Berserker offline ???

Jan - good call. It actually WAS the first official Berserker Offline, as the one scheduled just prior to it was a NY Offline, and it was postponed for (get ready, Otto…) major fail.

Thanks for all the tips on Chablis. Not much choice up here but do have `05 Leflaive Deux Rives. Nice wine when last tasted.

The local importers don’t do much sub-$30 Chablis there?

$40 X 365 = $14,600.

[scratch.gif]

Thanks for the tips on these Chablis. I’m gonna see if I can find any of them around here. I’ve had great luck with Chablis in this price range over the last few years. Lots of bang for the buck.

Rob