Antica Terra - offering tasting room now?

Just got an email from AT that they’re going to start offering tastings at their winery. sounds pretty neat but the price is for the tasting is $70… ouch.

thoughts?

You do get 8 1.5 oz pours. That’s essentially half a bottle and in line with “wine bar” prices.

The unusual thing is that half the wines poured aren’t Antica Terra. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a winery tasting room pouring somebody else’s wines.

Robert

$70? In the Willamette Valley? That is emphatically an effin’ joke. I don’t care how many wines they’re pouring and it almost makes the Kapcsandy fee look worthwhile.

FWIW, here’s the list of wines to be tasted now:

Raphael Bereche M.V. “Reflet d’Antan”, Champagne
Grange des Peres 2008 Blanc, Aniane
Clos Cibonne 2010 Tibournen Rosé “Cuvée des Vignettes”, Cotes de Provence
Antica Terra 2010 Rosé “Erratica”
Antica Terra 2010 Pinot Noir
Antica Terra 2010 Pinot Noir “Botanica”
Anne Gros 2009 Clos Vougeot, Burgundy Grand Cru
Moric 2007 Blaufrankisch “Lutzmannsburg Alte Reben”, Burgenland

With the exception of the Clos Vougeot, none of these wines is particularly expensive, although it certainly is an eclectic mix. Also interesting (and surprising) is that the tasting does NOT include Antica Terra’s $100 Estate Pinot.

To be fair, the $70 tasting does come with paired food and they are offering a 3 pour tasting of their own wines for a Memorial Day weekend tasting for $15. While that’s more $$ than many, it’s inexpensive versus Domaine Serene and some others.

It DOES include the Botanica which I believe is her top flight bottle.

Botanica is no longer the “top” wine. They have released an Estate Pinot priced at $100 to the mailing list. The Botanica is around $75.

Duh…ooops… you’re right! My bad - sorry. newhere

When I was there last year I was under the impression the Estate fruit will not always be it’s own bottling. It sounded like they wanted to blend it into the Botanica. Not sure if plans have changed since then or now. It was quite distinctive from the shea fruit tat goes into the Botanica bottling in '09.