What are your oldest wines?

What is the oldest bottle of wine you own, have owned or tasted? I have been been enjoying wine for nearly 25 years, but only began collecting about six years ago. Mine are nothing impressive. I have a couple bottles of 1991 Graham’s Vintage Port and a bottle of 1995 Latour that is a bit of a treasure to me for sentimental reasons. I expect my son and his friends will be impressed to see wine from the last century sitting on the racks, but I know these are not so old.

I suspect the WB readership here have some impressive dates and wines to share. I think the fact that we collect, treasure and remember these bottles shows how historic and important wine is to our culture.

Thanks in advance for sharing. Cheers!

I love old Madeira so have quite a few of those. You mention Grahams VP so I guess you’re including fortified wines. 1795 Barbieto Terrantez would be my oldest in that case. Have had it twice in the past.
Born in 1959 (lucky me!) so I’ve quite a few of those, Bordeaux, Burgundy, German, Loire, even Massandra from the Crimea. These would be oldest non-fortifieds I still have.

I have a real soft spot for old wines. While my cellar is very modest compared to those of many collectors and I sold off much of my wine before making two cross-country moves, I did hold on to many of my old bottles. Currently, the oldest bottles I have are:

Fortified: 1815 Madeira (the Waterloo vintage) and 1840 Marsala

Dry: 1858 Beychevelle

The favorite old bottles I had in my cellar at one time (both consumed and both quite good [cheers.gif] ) were:

Fortified: 1875 Louis Lewin & Co Port (Cucamonga, CA)

Dry: 1946 Beaulieu Vineyard Pinot Noir

Europe, of course, has an amazing wine culture, but these California beauties show that at least some quality wine has been coming out of California for more than a century…

Cheers!

• Frank [cheers.gif]

PS: I’m interested to see some of the ancient wines that pop up. I’m sure Mssr Audoze or someone with a very deep cellar has a bottle retrieved from Jerusalem by the Knights Templar…

Eric, I envy you! While I have tasted that wine, I’ve never had a bottle in cellar.

Cheers!

• Frank

I’ve had the good fortune to drink a number of older bottles in recent years, but I don’t usually keep the old bottles for that long, so I only have a few in inventory. The current oldest are:

1969 Drouhin Mercurey
1975 Mouton Rothschild
1980 Chateau Musar

Eric, 1795 is impressive. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were still collecting in those days, but it sits in your cellar.

Frank T., that you think about it as the “Waterloo” vintage is interesting because of the historical context. It’s like when people point out that the have Burgundy or Bordeaux from the war years and that they were even made, much less survived. And for those reasons often seem more cherished.

I’m secretly hoping Mr. Audouze shares…and some of the lurkers too. Good stuff.

My oldest is 1985 Ridge Geyserville, then it jumps to 2000 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne.

1982 LLC and Leoville Poyferre for me. Been collecting for about 15 years but have gotten much more serious about it in the past 3.

1904 Sandeman Vintage Port (I actually think it is an LBV, hard to tell from the label)
1927 Domaine Bory Rivesaltes
1953 Margaux
1959 Antonio Ferrari Solaria Jonica

and a couple of 69 BV GdL. Trying to find some more 59 Bdx, especially Leoville Las Cases, just a lovely wine.

Amazingly, it is neither of the 1980 Gould Campbell or Graham’s Vintage Ports I have. Rather, it is the 1974 Vignerons Catalans Rivesaltes Ambres.

Currently - 94 newhere
Historically - 66 CVNE Grand Reserva

In cellar 1966 Inglenook Cabernet
In belly 1975 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet

1949 Bourdy Chateau Chalon is in the cellar
1978 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial is my next oldest wine.

Nice call. Now all you need is some Comte…mmmm!

Cheers!

• Frank [cheers.gif]

Fortified, still own = 1870 Boal, 1931 Quinto do Noval

Non-fortified, drank = 1902 Ch. Ausone, 1918 Ch. Gruaud Larose, 1920 Ch. Bellevue

Non-fortified, tasted = 1899 Ch. Margaux

Non-fortified, still own = 1953 Ch. Margaux, 1955 Charmes Chambertin Camus

1924 Chateau Margaux

Oldest non-fortified in the cellar is 1929 Chateau Cantemerle.

Oldest fortified is Alvear Solera 1927

Can’t remember the oldest that I have drunk (not that old though, maybe 50s Barolos/Barbarescos and some Bordeaux)

1986 is the farthest back I’ve ever owned. Anniversary year. I still have a 1986 Chateau Guiraud.

Oldest I’ve sampled: 1961 Lynch-Bages that was clearly over the hill.

My oldest, not much to brag about, but it seems every day I’m getting older faster and so are these:
1975 Suduiraut
1993 Swan Frati Ranch
1996 Fleury

1979 Latour - Consumed
1989 Calon Ségur - Consumed (my first Bordeaux futures purchase!)
1996 Calon Ségur - In cellar
1996 Cos D’Éstournel - In cellar
1998 Mayacamas - In cellar (son’s birthyear)
1998 Pietranera Brunelo - 1 down, 2 to go: delicious!

Had the Latour before I was into wine - all I remember is that it was very good, and that I bought it b/c the price was mis-labeled: $7.95 instead of $_X_7.95