TN: 1996 Calera Pinot Noir - Mills Vineyard

Recent library release from winery (including a lightweight clear cellophane “capsule”).

I don’t know how they do it on Mt. Harlan, but opening a pinot from these vineyards with a decent amount of age on them, whether Reed, Jensen, Selleck, Ryan or as with this Mills, is like opening a box of Asian spice.

On the nose the Asian spice dominates, with complex overlay of the various types dancing before you and accenting a hint of dark cherries and maybe some brambly blackberries. On the palate, dark fruit with tremendous depth and complexity. A nice element of earthiness is also present. Just a delight.

Thanks for the note. I have limited experience with Calera but their very young Mills was a high light from Family Winemakers for me last year. I also tried a sip of their 07 Central Coast Pinot today at my cellar and was very impressed.

Thanks for the great note. Even before I clicked to open it, I knew it would be a positive review–these wines from that year are just great across the board.

Michael

tremendous producer but wines require real time sideways, 15+ years easy.

Great note, Steve. I hope that all the Pinot I bought in the last few years ages as beautifully as the mid-90s Caleras and WSs that I’ve had.