What would you have done

I know this question is sophmorish, but Allen Meadows regulars dines at the same restaurant as I do. This past Sunday he was there sitting at the next table. Would it have been wrong to go up and say hello? Again, I know am being silly, to say the least preseverating over this trite issue, but what would you do (or what would be appropriate in the futures)?

Next time? I wouldn’t preseverate over the trite issue long - just either lean over or get up and say Hi, assuming you’re a fan. If you’re not a fan and just recognize him, then I wouldn’t do a thing.

I would enjoy my dinner and say or do nothing. Or ask for his recommendation for a burg from the wine menu. [cheers.gif]

I would say “hello mr meadows” and keep walking to my table.

Sent from mobile

It depends on what he’s drinking. And what you’re drinking.

I met Alan and he is a very nice man. Introduce yourself and make a new friend. After all he is a wine critic, not Bacchus!

Offer him a glass of '59 Ponsot CSD?

I haven’t met him, but I assume he would have been happy to meet you. Not like he’s a real celebrity, like Brad Pitt, with people fawning all over him everywhere he goes :wink:

Right. He’s a critic. He’s not the star. If you recognize him, say hello. If you’re abashed, don’t say anything and leave him alone. Either way is OK.

But perseverate is a transitive verb. In other words, it takes a direct object. OTOH, preseverating can make you get hairy palms or go blind. Be careful with your object!!!

great and friendly guy. should have said hi to this gentilhomme
alan

There’s nothing wrong with saying hi or acknowledging appreciation of Burghound or whatever, but in my opinion it is appropriate to do so when Mr. Meadows leaves the restaurant. He is having dinner; I think it is rude to interrupt a person during their meal.

Just make sure you are drinking Burgundy and it would help if you were a Burghound subscriber? That was the reason for my initial contact and we have been friends since, not that we have crossed paths for years. He is generous and always very educational and fun to be with…

Mr. T, if you are passing along conventional wisdom from Billy Joel, I believe what he said was, “Either way is OK, you wake up with yourself.”

Go shake the man’s hand, for God’s sake! This sort of deference to, and deification of, a second-rate lawyer from the MD farm country has caused all sorts of problems, eh? Allen is a retired corporate executive who loves Burgundy enough to write about it. Few people outside of the tiny wine board community have ever heard of him. Personally, I enjoy carrying on the occasional e-mail exchange with his wife, who is probably the brains of the outfit anyway!

You should jump in the air, shriek at a very high volume and pitch, then shout over and over again “Oh my gawd, it’s Allen Meadows!!!” all the while pointing at him and continuing to jump up and down.

Then ask him to sign your breast with a permanent marker. (Be sure to bring that with you. As others have said, he’s not that big of a celebrity, so he may not have his own to sign with.)

No, it’s not. [scratch.gif]

Bump. [wow.gif]

Although a day late, I would have wished him a Happy Birthday!

He’s probably used to being recognized and approached by strangers. This is why you should do something different. Next time, I recommend that you give him the old stink-eye and occasionally shout something unintelligible in his direction.

+1.

I’d say “hello,” but I agree that you shouldn’t do it while he’s eating.

More important here, though, is the debate over the word “perseverate.” I don’t understand why you would assert that it is a transitive verb. GregT - I’d like to see a sentence where the verb “perseverate” takes an object.