a few 2004 CDP's

I didn’t take any notes on these at the time so going from memory. Both consumed last Sunday. The first one I opened was the 2004 Domaine Ferrando Colombis. I had ridiculously high expectations for this one because I know the winemaker is the same as the 2004 St. Prefert cuvee Charles Giraud I had about 4 months ago. That wine was awesome, this one, not so much. This wine had a radically different personality. It was much bigger, darker, more tannic…I suspect more syrah in the mix but I haven’t had the time to pull out Harry Karis’s book and actually look this up. The Colombis was very muted both on the nose and palate and didn’t seem totally integrated yet. It was a big, dark wine with noticeable tannin and alcohol. I suspect it might be in a closed phase. I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and not open another for a few years.
Next we had a 2004 Domaine Charvin. This was beautiful right from the start. Even the non-wine geeks loved it. It was a nicely balanced, “elegant” wine. By that I mean everything seemed harmonious: fruit, tannin, alcohol. It had a medium red color, nose of red fruit, palate of cherries, nice mouthfeel, good finish, etc. It’s in a really nice place right now and I am glad to have more of it stashed away.

Thanks for the note on the Colombis.

And for the note on the Charvin! Sounds like it’s a good time to open mine.

I think Colombis is 100% Grenache.

You’re right. I was reading Harry Karis’ book last night and noticed this. Perhaps it is the old vines or the oak but that wine seemed big and brawny to me. I wouldn’t have guessed 100% grenache

I love the 2004 Charvin! Then again, as you said, everyone does.

Almost pulled an '04 Charvin last night but decided to try my '04 Marcoux instead. No formal note, but it was in a similar style to Charvin - balanced and elegant, with red fruit character and a smooth finish. Really enjoyable with minimal air time.

A word of caution on Harry’s percentages in his wonderful book: For cuvees that change the encepagement he lists the most recent percentages (at publication). His chart will show that and may perhaps mention in the text the encepagement may differ year to year. I do know that while I was visiting CDP I was quoted different percentages for one wine then what is in the book.
That being said, it’s my guess that the 100% grenache cuvees are probably always 100% grenache.