Killer Food and Wine at Rowdy's...'01/'02 Cabs (KL, Pride, Colgin, etc) and ABC Whites

Several Atlanta folks gathered for another round of culinary adventures at the hand of Matt “Rowdy” Richardson. No joke, Rowdy’s off the chain in the kitchen. Last night was quite the feast as we shared some ABC whites and 2001/2002 Cali Cabs.

I’ll let those who were there out themselves here if they choose.

A great night of wine. Really not a bad wine all night. Some real stars including the Rudd Oakville, Colgin Cariad, and Keenan Reserve.

There will be pics posted at some point.

White Flight I-With Rowdy’s Ungodly-good Szechuan/Nashville Fried Chicken

1996 R. Lopez de Heredia Rioja Crianza Vina Gravonia—Honey up front, sweet initial attack gives way to dry lemon rind finish. Stony. Interesting wine. 12%alc

1996-Chateau D’Epire Savennieres-Deep yellow color. There’s a wisdom to this wine not found in the other white in this flight. Sweet concentration up front gives way to some herbal notes. It’s slightly waxy in the end. It was good for me, others were more impressed.

2001 Fritz Haag Braunberger Juffer Riesling Auslese-Trocken—Probably the white WOTN for me. Killer nose that just throws fruit and stone all over the place. After 10 minutes petrol flows. Beautiful lift from the acidity on the palate. Honey and apple here. Persistent. Beautiful.

2006 Holzapfel Gruner Vetliner—Laser-like acidity. Fresh cut to the palate. Lemony. Very nice, could use some time, but a nice GV.

White Flight II-With Sweet Pea Flan and Vichyssoise

2007 Grey Stack Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary’s Block—Slightly feral nose initially, but it blows off quickly. Huge fruit here. Still. Just a knock your socks up your ass mouthful of fruit. Tropical. Fresh. Concentrated. Terrific. Thanks, Rowdy.

2008 Grey Stack Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary’s Block—Clove and floral notes to the nose. Shows more alcohol right now. The fruit is here, but it’s not carrying the alcohol as adeptly as the ’07. Grapefuity. Happy to have more and a standout Cali SB.

2008 Rochioli Sauvignon Blanc RRV—I think the Rochioli just suffered due to its placement with the two Grey Stacks. Nice, refreshing SB, but not outstanding.

Intermezzo

1978 Ernest & Julio Gallo Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve Sonoma—I brought my last bottle of this along on a lark. I think we universally agreed it was in fine form for a 32yr old Cal Cab from a not-great vintage. Cloudy-red-fading to brown color. Port-like nose, gives way to a dusty red fruited palate marked by some leather. Gary noted the amazing hit of acidity still here. A fun ride.

Red Flight I— Wagyu Beef Cheek Ravioli With Shaved Black Truffles (WOW!)

2001 Karl Lawrence—Cedar on the nose. Palate has softened, seems tired compared to the other two in this flight. Giving all it’s got I think. Nice Cab, but nothing more tonight.

2001 Pride- Hello. Now were are talking. Powerful Cab that is firing on all cylinders. Deep, rich mountain fruit. Berries just explode in the mouth. Long, dusty-mocha spiked finish. Flout-out killer with the beef cheeks. Still kicking and does not appear to be heading south anytime soon.

2001 Rudd Oakville-These wines were all pop and pour. That said, this monster had the most potential of the first flight and was probably the wine of the flight. It will seriously kill in a couple years. Tight and unforgiving initially, but with 20 minutes in the glass—magic. Leather, red fruit, bitter sweet chocolate. Long, chewy ass-kicking finish. Wow. Stunner. Thanks Peter.

Red Flight II-With assorted Cheeses

2002 Pine Ridge Stag’s Leap—Good showing for an under-the-radar producer, but perhaps a bit outclassed tonight. Minty-herbal nose, nice dark fruit and earth on the palate. A bit candied. A fine Cab that is ready for prime time.

2002 Neal Family—Like the Pine Ridge, the Neal did all it should, just not enough to standout. Very tannic initially, slowly reveals sweet red fruit, some mint. Good with the Cabot Cheddar. Slightly austere, but that’s how I find Neal Cabs.

2002 Robert Keenan Mernet Reserve—Perhaps the surprise of the night. Kicked the ass of all the Cabs except the Colgin. Just grooving. Mint, cedar, tobacco amidst really tasty berry fruit. Finish goes on. Really fine with the Burrough Cheddar. Wine of this flight for sure.

2001 Colgin Cariad—This came along after all the other Cabs. For good reason. It needed to be alone or we would have thought all the other Cabs sucked…Decanted two hours. My scribbled notes say things like otherworldly-outrageous-sexy. Deep and expansive palate-coater. Rich dark fruit, tobacco, cedar, blackberry, and mocha notes. Goes on and on and on. WOTN by a light year. Thank you Gary. A treat.

There were three desert wines, but I have no notes. There was a Kracher and a Navarro, I remember that much.

What a night. Rowdy-you are an incredible chef and generous host. Thank you.

A great group last night. Thanks all for the great wines and company. Cheers.

Dennis, great notes. My invite must have gotten lost in the mail?

The '01 Pride rocks.

Sounds like a stellar gathering.

The '01 Rudd Estate has not disappointed in six bottles…and the '02 doesn’t suck either.

Twas a Pobega-friendly lineup. [basic-smile.gif]
Thanks. Next time, I’ll get that invite out. [thumbs-up.gif]

Its a good thing I was busy and hate all you guys!

[neener.gif]

grouphug Missed a fun one JL.