Has anyone moved a Eurocave?

I’m making the plunge to having a full-blown wine cellar and will be giving away one of my Eurocave units to a friend. Has anyone ever moved a large Eurocave unit and if so, were there any issues that you wouldn’t otherwise have moving a large refrigerator? I know that the dealer makes a big deal about having trained pros deliver them and set them up and I do realize that having unauthorized movers nullifies any warranty remaining but I’m curious as to whether it’s that complicated to move and set up.

My Eurocave is 15+ years old (a hand-me-down from my dad) and has been moved at least 7 times. No big deal. It’s just like moving a regular fridge.

Good to hear. Thanks.

If its just the normal 26x series there are light and easy to move. The 2 door units I’d hire a pro for.

They should be kept upright during transport. Waiting 24 hours before starting (for the compressor oil to settle) is a good idea.

Moved two units twice each. No problems. Agree that you should let the compressor settle before restarting.

Just like a fridge, though I did give it rest prior to the move. It was part of a whole-house move. Unplugged, emptied, and aired out for 48 hours. Then, no problems at all (except leveling it once it arrived at the 200 year old house).

Great. Thanks for all of the replies.

Two hints - anything that can be removed should be removed - shelves, etc. It’s just easier that way. Second, the units are usually sealed with a rubber gasket all around the door. If you strap the unit to hold it to a dolly, you can squish that gasket and possibly damage it. When mine came, they had a thin piece of wood to slot into the gap. I kept it and use it when moving the unit.

Also, be careful of the plate at the bottom . That can be damaged if people aren’t careful. And depending on where you’re moving it, you may want to stick something by the compressor to keep it from shaking like crazy. Otherwise, no problem. I’ve moved it a few times. If you can move it yourself, I would. “Professionals”, at least around here, are typically a couple of guys who couldn’t care less if they damaged something. I always just did it myself, because it’s only a few hundred pounds that you can deal with on a dolly, but if you can get someone to help you, that’s perfect.

I’ve moved one from a local restaurant that went out of business to my basement. Other comments apply but have never had any problems. Once loaded though, don’t let the bottle touch the back wall of the unit. Condensation will move into your labels and you won’t be happy!

I need to move a Eurocave Comfort 266 and need to transport it on it’s side. I see that they say it must be transported upright, but wonder if it’s ok to lay it on it’s side if I leave it off for e few days before plugging it in. It would be on it’s side for a couple of hours in my car.

Is it only the cooler fluid that needs to get back to where it’s supposed to be before turning the uint on, or is there something else that can be physically damaged by laying the Eurocave on it’s side?

Thanks,
Don

Empty it first.

:slight_smile:

I know, I could not help it.
I moved one a few times, just wrap and move gingerly.

That’s a given! :slight_smile: So did you transport it upright or on it’s side? I’m getting conflicting information.

The manual says: “Whenever moving your cabinet, never tip by more than 45°, And always on the lateral face on the electrical lead side.”

The Eurocave UK website says: “It MUST be kept upright during vehicular transport. Never lie it down on its side or back.”

And the instructions from GE for moving a regular refrigerators says: “If it has been necessary to transport the refrigerator on its side, it should be stood upright for an equal amount of time as it was on its side before plugging it in. If on its side for more than a day, leave standing for 24 hours before running.”

So I’m wondering if there is something special about the Eurocave compared to a regular refrigerator, so that it will be damaged if transported on it’s side. I read somewhere that some coils were designed for upright use and that they could get displaced if the Eurocave was transported on it’s side.

I tilted it and was no big deal as I let it sit a few days before I plugged it in.
I had the delivery of one come in a van of all things from a major distributor so if they were not worried, I did not worry. It was actually a replacement for the one they regular truck brought, upright mind you, but managed to mar it on two sides.

Thanks Mike. Then I should be OK too. If I can transport it in its side I can use my own car. Otherwise I would have to rent a truck.

Done it, no problems. Remove wine & shelves .Try to keep upright , let it rest before starting .
Two wheeled dolly helps a lot.

My issue is that I can’t keep it upright during transport. Did you transport it on the side? If I know that several people have done this successfully, it would make me feel more comfortable doing it myself. Thanks.

I’ve moved mine twice already - once on it’s back despite the warnings - and it’s been running just fine for 2 or 3 years. I did leave it upright for 24 hours before plugging it in after the move.

Thanks Eric. That’s two people now who have successfully moved it on its side or back. If I don’t hear any horror stories before tomorrow, I’ll transport it flat on its side.

Just moved a 283 about 100 miles in the back of a pickup. No problems. Stand upright for 48 hours+ and slower add bottles, especially if they are room temp.

Been there, done that. Follow the advice above. Should not be a problem. Good luck