EWG does Gewurztraminers at Yujean Kang's

Nine of the 12 East Side Wine Group (EWG) members and guests Walter Page and Paul Harrie assembled at Yujean Kang’s for a dinner paired with all Gewuruztraminers. I have always maintained that Gewurtztramners work better with Yujean’s cuisine than any other wine. Yujean prefers red Burgundy and Riesling. I believe I made my point this evening.

Yujean prepared a special meal, with all courses off the menu except the tea-smoke duck, which I had requested. The meal was phenomenal, easily the best of the four EWG dinners I’ve coordinated there. As for the wines, they didn’t suck. Except for the Weinbach 2007 Reserve Personnelle, which was corked, and the Trimbach 2001 Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre, all the wines showed well, or better, with the older wines (1976, 1989 and 1994) all needing time to open up.

I had requested everyone bring high end Alsatian wines (which I defined as Zind Humbrecht, Weinbach, Trimbach and Mann; I know there are others, they are not easily found in Los Angeles), preferably not late harvest. All wines, except the two 2005 Mann’s and the 2001 Trimbach were popped and poured.

We started with the 2007 Pfeffingen Spatlese, an inside joke. The Pfeffingen was well balanced, with good acidity, and a little sweeter than when I had it seven months ago. It definitely stood out in this group, but the quality was there. When the 2007 Weinbach proved to be corked, I moved up the Mann 2001 Steingrubler, which, while good, was perhaps a little simple and would have benefited from more acidity. With these wines Yujean served chicken in kung pao sauce with minced chicken with white wine sauce and baby bak choy; and string beans with pork (I apologize for any misspellings of the food).

The second flight was the Zind Humbrecht 1989 Clos Windsbuhl and Zind Humbrecht 1994 Herrenweg. Both of these wines were dry (although the 1989 developed a hint of sweetness after it was open for a while), and developed in the glass. They both had very long aftertastes. If a formal vote had been taken, they would have been considered the top two wines of the nights. The 1989 has a measure of fame as the first white wine to receive a perfect score from Robert Parker. While I don’t think any of us would have scored it that high, it was a stunning wine that had aged well. These wines accompanied black cod with soy sauce and sesame and Chinese broccoli; and egg plan and soy sauce.

In the third flight, we started with the 2000 Zind Humbrecht Winzenheim. It was indice three, and perhaps a little diffuse, but would have been very pleasant to drink if not compared to the other wines. The Trimbach 2000 Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre is one of my favorite wines, sweeter and richer than normal for Trimbach. It was moderately sweet (I’d guess about two per cent residual sugar), and very easy to drink. I had hoped for an interesting comparison with the Trimbach 2001 Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre, more in the house style, but the wine was off. A few people thought it was corked, but most did not. Nobody rated it highly, a shame because other bottles I’ve had have been very good, and it would have been great to contrast the two vintages. I thought the Zind Humbrecht 2002 Rangen, indice two, had more stuffing than any of the other wines, tremendous class, with the 16 % alcohol not being noticeable. It made some of the other wines suffer in comparison, and probably would have been the third favorite wine of the night for the group. Accompanying this course were prawns with walnuts and a garlic spicy sauce; and tofu with lima beans, Chinese sausage, and mushrooms.

The fourth flight featured all 2005’s, the Steingrubler and Furstentum Vieilles Vignes from Albert Mann and Zind Humbrecht Heimbourg. The Mann’s were very different, with the Steingrubler more balanced and restrained, and the Furstentum sweeter and less full in the mouth. My WOTN was the Zind Humbrecht, which although labeled an indice three, was fairly sweet. It had incredible balance, and should develop into something special as it sheds some of its sweetness (if I can manage to save mine long enough to find out). Thank you Jeff Morris, once again, for recommending this wine. Yujean served tea-smoke duck with plum sauce, and lamb with kabucha sauce with this dish.

Finally, we had, without food at my request, the Hugel 1976 Selections de Grains Nobles (fuder 28) and Zind Humbrecht 1989 Herrenweg VT. Interestingly, both wines had less perceptible sweetness than the wines in the previous flight, a sign of the times and different wine making styles perhaps. The Hugel was full and rich and drinking very well right now, although it will age for many more years. The Zind Humbrecht was also full bodied, but not as much as the Hugel, impeccably balanced, and kept on developing, even as I left the restaurant.

What did I learn? Gewurztraminer is definitely the best wine to accompany Yujean’s cuisine. I also had been drinking my Gewurztraminers on the younger side (having nothing before 2000 in my cellar), but may start to age them a bit longer and let some of the sugar recede. Hopefully some of my EWG friends learned, although they may have already know, how good Alsatian Gewurztraminers can be.

Wow, you got those notes up quick!

Terrific dinner and great set of wines. Thanks for putting this together David. Outstanding! [welldone.gif]

I’ll work on my notes tomorrow night but I think my favorite from a terrific set of wines was the 94 ZH.

At the moment, I have nothing intellectual to add other than this meal was superb. David organized everything masterfully. My favorites of the night were the '94 ZH Herrenweg. '89 ZH Windsbuhl, '02 ZH Rangen and the '76 Hugel. Interesting that the Hugel was labeled as both a Vendage Tardive and a SGN. Seems redundant since all SGNs would qualify as VT. Yujean cooked the best food o date last night. As was mentioned, the food and wine pairings were fantastic. Looking forward to seeing how Riesling works with the Yujean’s food.

As always, Mr Lewin is too modest, as he coordinated superb food at a ridiculously low price from a top notch restaurant coupled with some superb wines. I absolutely loved the 89 Windsbuhl–it opened in the glass with a hint of sweetness in the midpalate and lovely complexity. Was it a 100 pt wine? I don’t know, but it was easily one of the best white wines I have tasted. The 2002 ZH Rangen de Thaan (aka, at least in my wine inventory as Clos Ste Urbain) was probably my second choice with the ZH Heimbourg coming in third. But what surprised me was how much I generally liked the other wines, particularly the Manns. I only wish that I had more of these wines and that when I was visiting Alsace quarterly during the mid90s, I had spent more time focused on the wines. Good show.

EWG DOES GEWURZTRAMINER WITH CHINESE FOOD - Yujean Kang’s, Pasadena, CA (6/28/2009)
The Eastside Wine Group’s latest edition was Alsatian Gewurztraminer with Chinese food. David Lewin worked with Yujean Kang to set up a tremendous meal that really high lighted how well these wines can work with excellent Asian cuisine. Excellent food and wines all around and a big thanks to David for putting this together. We left stuffed for $60 all in.

The wines as mentioned terrific across the board, from young to old and big to light and sweet to nearly dry. I really found a contrast in the styles of the wines in the way te fruit expressed itself which I want to attribute to the ripeness though I am unsure if that is the case or not. I first noticed it in the color where some wines were very coppery in color and others closer to clear. On the darker colored wines I also noticed a quality of baked fruits most often as well as a bigger louder expression. The lighter wines seemed more restrained and on the elegant prettier side most often. Both worked for me and worked with the food. I can say that I think I liked the way the more restrained wines aged a bit better though that is a fine distinction. I think for Gewurz I also prefer the wine to be towards the dryer end most often but did find some of the sweeter bottles among my favorites of the night.

My personal WOTN was the '94 ZH Herrenweg. Other favs were the 89 ZH Clos Windsbuhl, 00 Trimbach Ribeaupierre, 02 ZH Clos Saint Urbain, all three 05’s and the 89 ZH Vendage Tardive. But all wines performed well that were not corked so the favorites didn’t exactly stand out.

All the food was excellent as well with the eggplant, duck and lamb being real stand outs and that is saying something as eggplant is not a favorite for me normally.

Served with chicken in Kung Pao sauce covered with minced chicken cooked in a wine sauce with baby bok choy.

• 2007 Weingut Pfeffingen Gewürztraminer Spätlese - Germany, Pfalz
    Big ripe nose of spicy flowers. This had some RS though had a light feel. White stone fruits with spice and a bit of a sweet 'n sour split. Though out shined by the heavier hitters on the night this was a nice surprise.
  • 2007 Domaine Weinbach Gewurztraminer Résérve Personelle - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC
    Initially this had the character of a spicy gingered Riesling. Some bitterness and dirty characters came out. Some said it was corked. I’ll go with that though I never got a strong whiff of TCA. NR (flawed)
  • 2001 Albert Mann Gewurztraminer Steingrubler - France, Alsace, Wettolsheim, Alsace Grand Cru AOC
    Light ginger and a bit of diesel on the nose. Oily textured with rich thickness still. Showed some orange rind and light maple flavors. This needs more bottle time to let the fatness lean out for my palate.

Served with eggplant with minced pork and black cod with soy sauce and sesame seeds and Chinese broccoli.

• 1989 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Clos Windsbuhl - France, Alsace, Hunawihr, Alsace AOC
    Light petrol over a nose of baked fruits and orange zest. Big and wide, even a bit chunky with loads of complexity with even a touch of earthiness. Definitely showed some age on the nose and palate but not going anywhere soon. A tremendous wine on the big expressive side of the spectrum.
  • 1994 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Herrenweg de Turckheim - France, Alsace, Turckheim, Alsace AOC
    Lovely and pretty nose showing classic light ginger with orange rinds and marmalade. Big fruited but elegant oily mouth feel with lots of length. Excellent. This is what great aged Gewurz is about for me. My WOTN.

Served with shrimp, roasted walnuts and asparagus with garlic sauce and tofu, shitake mushrooms, Chinese sausage and lima beans with Chinese rice wine sauce

• 2000 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Wintzenheim - France, Alsace, Wintzenheim, Alsace AOC
    Initially pretty tight the nose grew with air showing sappy baked peaches and oranges. Baked fruits again on the palate with a character wet autumn leaves and baked peaches most prominent but was light in expression overall. I would guess this is one to err on the younger side with.
  • 2000 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC
    Sappy lightly expressive nose. Pretty and elegant palate with plenty of weight. Honey notes come out on the finish later on. I think this one is drinking very young but was very good and should be better with a few more years in bottle. One of my favorites on the evening.
  • 2001 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC
    Huge whiff of TCA to start. Others didn’t smell it but it seemed very sullen and completely devoid of expression in their glasses. Corked. NR (flawed)
  • 2002 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain - France, Alsace, Thann, Alsace Grand Cru AOC
    Spices over baked fruits. Big rich and busy palate with lots of length and complexity. Orange zest notes were most notable. Another favorite on the evening for me but on the bigger wilder side of Gewurz to me.

Served with tea smoked duck and lamb with Kabucha sauce.

• 2005 Albert Mann Gewurztraminer Steingrubler - France, Alsace, Wettolsheim, Alsace Grand Cru AOC
    Big and juicy yet nicely balance. Lots of spice and ginger. In contrast to a month ago I preferred the Furstentum on this night though both are very good but in need of cellar time.
  • 2005 Albert Mann Gewurztraminer Furstentum Vieilles Vignes - France, Alsace, Kientzheim & Sigolsheim, Alsace Grand Cru AOC
    Sweet nose of honey, candied apricots and apples. Plenty of RS on the palate in contrast to the Steingrubler but not overwhelming with a light palate feel. Sweet peaches with ginger and orange flavors. Really showed well tonight. I think it will be better in 10 years also.
  • 2005 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Heimbourg - France, Alsace, Turckheim, Alsace AOC
    Rocky mineral nose. Plenty of RS here but very pretty. Expressive palate with plenty of spice and florals on the finish. Another terrific wine on a evening full of very good wines.

• 1976 Hugel et Fils Gewurztraminer Vendange Tardive SGN Sélectionneé par Jean Hugel - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC
    This was actually in a 700ml bottle and was from ‘fut 28’. Metallic nose like wet pennies with some candied nuts. Earthy funk initially this really started gaining weight in the glass coming up with some ripe red apple notes later on. Still good and interesting to drink but has seen better days.
  • 1989 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Herrenweg de Turckheim Vendange Tardive - France, Alsace, Turckheim, Alsace AOC
    Nose showing some dry soil with wet brown leaves and baked apples. Good length with pretty sweetness and tart apple notes that really linger.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great notes, guys.

I’ve been spending a bit of time in Pasadena for work. Yujean Kang’s is a great spot with a nice winelist of gems. Will need to try a Gewurz next time I’m there.

If you guys ever get together during the week, I’d love to try and meet up.

Tough for me during the week but there are some folks on the East side up there that you could probably get going. Leslie Fisher and Gregg Greenbaum come to mind as well as several others. Try something in the Offline Planner.

Lewin and Page in the house!

Great night. Thanks to all for sharing the wines. The food was outstanding. Maybe the best I have had there. From sweet, to spicy, to savory to rich … the wines never seemed out of place that is impressive. I still think I might give a slight edge to Riesling … but that is splitting hairs.

Cheers,

Jason

When pressed by Robert and David as to which wine–Gewurtz or Riesling–works better, I took the diplomatic approach indicating that although I prefer German Riesling, I thought that Gewurtz worked better with Yujean’s food. That dinner turned me into a real fan of Gewurtz and not just those from ZH.

Upon reflection, and looking at my comments, it does seem that Gewurtz did have the easiest time matching the food. Hmmm…

Jason

better than Duck House Cris?

For over all food I would say yes but I have sampled each place once. The tea smoked duck dish we had at Yujean Kang’s is actually a variation of Peking duck. Both were very good but I preferred the Duck House for that dish. Yujean would take it on the balance of the dishes for me.

Both recommended restaurants I would say.