The White Club's Three Centuries of Sauternes Tasting

Did anyone go to or see reports from this tasting which Bordeaux Gold’s Bill Blatch mentioned in February?

Three Centuries of Sauternes Tasting
It is a never ending source of wonder to me how magnificent old Sauternes can be. Unlike old red Bordeaux where, except at the very top level, drinking windows are rarely more than a few decades, most fine Sauternes has the potential to last for centuries.

To prove the point The White Club are holding an enthralling tasting in Switzerland next month which should appeal to lovers of old Sauternes. The staggering list is as follows:

Chateau d’Yquem – 1894, 1904, 1921, 1928, 1929, 1937, 1967, 1975, 1976 and 2001

Chateau Climens – 1937 and 1990 Chateau Suduiraut – 1929 and 1959

Chateau Caillou ‘Creme de Tete’ – 1909 Chateau de Rayne Vigneau – 1904

Chateau Raymond Lafon – 1917 Chateau Lafaurie Peyraguey – 1921

Chateau Rieussec – 1945 Chateau de Fargues – 1947

Apparently Ch. d’Yquem 1945 was added to the list.

I saw the original post and it sounded incredible, but a pilgrimage to Switzerland was out of the question. If anyone went, I would love to read notes as well!

amazing looking tasting, the yquem vintages look odd in that it is only the so called “best” years back to 1921 and then two odd years in 1904 and 1894. (to fall in line I think they should be 1906 and 1893)

sorry for the nitpick, what fun that looks like, with the other houses included as well!

J

What kind of wine could Chateau Raymond Lafon have made in 1917?

I don’t understand the question. GIven that the French government relocated in Bordeaux at the beginning of WWI, it would have been safe to proceed as normal. The vintage was at least “good” that year, “picked by a workforce consisting mainly of children, women and very old men.” - Michael Broadbent, who gave the vintage two stars.

I no clue what a vintage chart from back then shows but clearly the French people must have had others things on their mind besides Botrytis in 1917.

What is the White Club? No info on the website?

I clicked on this because I thought it was about Augusta National. Then I remembered I was in the wine forum, not the asylum.

“The fIrst rule of White Club …”