TN: 2007 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel Rosé La Dame Rousse

• 2007 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel Rosé La Dame Rousse - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Tavel (6/28/2009)
    Definitely on the bigger / red fruited end of the rose spectrum. Herbs and minerals on the nose are appealing but this is just a bit too big, rich, and ripe to fit my tastes for a rose. Rose is not a category where more is better and this wine seems to be a bit from that mold. A touch of heat on the nose and bitterness on the finish as well. I’d take many $10-$15 roses over this to be honest.

Posted from CellarTracker

Not a good sign for the 2008 I have coming in.

This is a pretty consistent style for them…

• 2004 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel Rosé La Dame Rousse - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Tavel (7/29/2005)
    I had a quick sip at McCarthy & Schiering. I love Domaine de la Mordorée, but I’m not so sure how I feel about Lirac Rose. This was deeply colored and muscular with loads of strawberry and an almost Mourvedre-like grip to the palate. There is some minerality there, but it drowned out by alcohol, a ripe wine to be sure. Compared to the 2003 (which was disastrously hot and klunky), this is still a nice Rosé. However, personally I prefer something a bit more mineral-focused with less fruit, more acid and much more minerality.
  • 2003 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel Rosé La Dame Rousse - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Tavel (10/29/2004)
    Seattle Tasting Group does 1990 and older Châteauneuf-du-Pape (Issaquah, WA, USA): This seems to be a failed effort. At 14.5% alcohol, there is little I look for in a Rose with this wine. Very dark in color, like a raspberry soda. The somewhat cloying nose shows loads of strawberry. Wow, the palate is like lighter fluid with huge notes of alcohol dominating the wine, very high octane, very sweet. The finish is very long with persistent notes of pomegranate, chalk and some bitterness. Tasting this, one wonder why they bothered with a rose in 2003. (82 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Looks like another dump on my emails…had to buy it to get the CDP ridiculously cheap.

This wine has quite a following. I had the impression that it is probably the 2nd most sought after Rose after Tempier… thus my giving it a whirl. I doubt you’ll have problems selling it Dan.

I remember being anxious to try this at Hospice du Rhone when I saw it in an extensive lineup of Tavels but was very let down.

I’m with you Josh - this wine could use less volume and more charm.