Nice Roy Piper Article

St. Helena Star

Fantastic. Well done, Roy and cheers to you.

Pretty soon, finance → wine becomes dog bites man, and wine → finance is the real story. Who wants to put some money into my hedge fund? I’ve got a great idea for packaging and selling long-term debt obligations…and then we can even work on creating an instrument to share the risk. It can’t lose! [wink.gif]

Nice article…Thanks for sharing Stefan.

Very nice article. I’ve never met Roy but he has always come across as someone that I would really enjoy meeting. Congrats to Roy.

Great piece, lousy photo. Time to get some professional stock photos, Roy is a good looking guy in real life.

I thought he was a little young for a colonoscopy neener

Nice article.

[welldone.gif]

I didn’t take that pic! Haha. Thanks everyone. I did not know it was out til I checked this board.

Great article. And congratulations Roy on taking the risk and making the big life change. Its inspiring, as are the stories of Ray Walker and Stephen Pepe (who’s book I just read this week) who have all left to follow their bliss, to those of us who will soon follow in their footsteps…

I always thought this one was much more flattering. That was the first time I met Roy at a Thursday night offline at Carries. Good people he is.

Great story! Well done, Roy!

Always love Roy in my Princess glasses. I don’t think there’s been an event he hasn’t had them on flirtysmile
Great article Roy.

Great article and what a career change. I notice you didn’t mention Wineberserkers in the interview. That was probably a smart move. Nobody needs to know most of us are outcasts. [wink.gif] [cheers.gif]

Excellent article, Roy. Congrats on the profile. Very interesting that you mentioned the “paid in lifestyle” aspect, as my friend Ange who runs her own Wine Club told me exactly the same thing. She knows she won’t become a millionaire, but she tastes wine for a living, travels all over the world, and is a known and respected player in her industry and she’s very happy with her life. Who could ask for anything more than that?

Great to hear things are working out so well for Roy! As someone who has been on the wine BB’s the last few years, I remember when Roy announced his intentions and have followed his progress (living vicariously as it is something I wish I had done years ago while living in SF!). Roy along with Jamie, Ray, & Jeff are great, inspirational, success stories.

Roy’s other contributions (tons of photos, wine and winery notes, financial input) are also invaluable. Guess I need to make it a point to visit next time in Napa!

Can you believe that was 7 years ago! Time flies.

You picked the right time to bail on A.I.G.

Excellent article, thanks for posting.

Nice to be able to live “the dream” Roy… congrats!

Was just in Napa last weekend, and Seven Stones did not make the visit list. Next time I will make it a point to visit.

Congrats Roy on living your dream. Sounds like you made a great decison when 7yrs later it keeps getting better. If you were more of Euro drinker would you have moved to Europe instead? I love Napa for its almost unmatched beauty and still buy and drink some Cabs but don’t think I could get my heart into working for a Napa winery since most of my wine passion is focused on France & Italy.

I might have. It is still not impossible. I already liked Bordeaux a lot, but going there last year really impacted me. I did have one discussion with a 95-99pt Bordeaux vintner about possibly sourcing from the Right Bank for a potential wine but decided that I need to get squared away with my Napa wine first. But I do have thoughts of making wine in both places someday. It can be done.