Have you ever had a wine change too much? 2007 Linne Calodo Outsider

• 2007 Linne Calodo Outsider - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (3/24/2012)
    P-n-P. This was very primary upon opening, translation = grape juice. One hour later there is intense aromas of blackberry and kirsch with black tea and ocean air but not funky. At the one hour mark, this was almost too easy to drink. At 3 hours in, add black licorice to the mix, but the palate is now showing vanilla and wood with just a hint of alcohol popping out. Interesting wine, and my favorite Outsider to date, there was no spritz! I find it interesting that this wine evolved and got more complex, but then went too far. I am guessing that temperature was a factor @ the 3 hour mark.

Posted from CellarTracker

Howard-Tell me what you were tasting that shows this wine as having gone ‘too far’. I ask because I’ve had three different experiences in the last few months with a specific category of wine where the bottom clearly fell out after having been opened for more than an hour or two, i.e., the fruit disappeared, leaving a hole, of sorts, on the palate. In all 3 instances, the wines were hyped as sustainable/biodynamic/organic, etc. and I wonder whether there’s some kind of connection with sustainable wines and perhaps with Linne Calodo, who also hammers on their ‘sustainable’ approach to winemaking… I’m not saying Linne Calodo is not a great winery (because it is), but am slightly more than curious whether there’s a connection with the sustainable piece…

Stephen, at 3 hours the wine became incredibly unbalanced, with the vanilla and alcohol becoming prominent in the wine.
To your point, yes the fruit seemed to take a back seat, but the finish in particular became odd with a iodine like chemical quality that I did not enjoy.

Howard

Yes-your description mirrors my experiences with similar wines. Hmmmm-a mystery unfolds.