Retailer Check: Carlo Russo's Wine

Located in Ho Ho Kus, NJ. Did a quick search and didn’t come up with anything. Can anyone share their experience with this retailer? Thanks in advance

Ho Ho Kus Wines and Spirits. Excellent place. Ask for Chuck Russo.

I’ve ordered several times with no complaints. Seems like a well run shop.

Just placed my first order a few weeks ago. Prompt, friendly customer service in response to an error on my part, and the order was subsequently processed and shipped out quickly. Prices seem pretty good, including on some '09 Bordeaux.

I do receive a fair amount of offer emails from then now (sometimes more than one a day, which seems a bit much), but they’re easy enough to quickly scan and delete.

Great store…still cant figure out why they would want to be located in ho ho kus but good selection and no storage issues with the couple of purchases i have made

For many years they were in Ft. Lee.

I’ve only shopped at the retail store but no complaints here (other than occasional difficulty in remembering the right exit to take off Route 17).

Excellent place but you can usually do better on pricing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated

John,

I believe the Fort Lee store was the original, and Ho Ho Kus a second. Are you saying the Fort Lee store is no longer in business?

The dear, departed Carlo was one of my first mentors in Vini Italiani. Many long talks at dinners at VinItaly and also on flights to there or bus trips to cantine.

Miss you Carlo!

I haven’t been by there in a dozen years, but I think someone told me a couple of years ago that it was long gone.

I never met Carlo but his son Chuck has been very helpful to me over the years. I also bought the Wasserman collection from Chuck (and Chris Kravitz who was working there at the time). I still make a point of stopping in there whenever I go to Allendale to visit my sister.

Sadly the Fort Lee store was sold a few years ago. It was a great location with a really nice selection. Think it is now called Linwood Wines (or something similar) - haven’t been in the store since it was sold.

Karen

The Fort Lee store has been gone for a while. I have fond memories of back buying 1995 Le Vieux Donjon for $19/btl from them.

Matt,

No worries, they have been in business over 50 years. Carlo was passionate about wine from the beginning and has been selling fine wine when most people were drinking brown goods. Carlo was actually a pharmacist and the original store was HHK Pharmacy which sold wine and spirits as well (how cool drugs and alcohol conveniently at one location) as he became more obsessed with wine he sold off the pharmacy (which still exists next door). Carlo truly was one of the pioneers of the fine wine industry. RIP.

Why not Ho-Ho-Kus? It’s a wealthy town surrounded by other wealthy towns (Saddle River, Ridgewood, Allendale) and easily accessible from the highway (Rt-17)

Ho-Ho-Kus is the original store.

Yes…Linwood W&L…pretty good store too, some impressive wines on the shelf (I didn’t pay attention to pricing)

Disclosure: I manager the store in the 90’s. It truly was an amazing place so many great customers and vintners tripping through those doors.

“Ho-Ho-Kus is the original store.”

Thanks for the history lesson Chris. I have bought and enjoyed lots of wine from the Ho Ho Kus store over the years.
I wish I could have met Carlo. And you are correct, it is an excellent location surrounded by very well heeled neighborhoods.