TN: 2002 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots

• 2002 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/27/2009)
    Bought a case of this two years ago and could not resist opening a bottle today even though I know it is supposed to be closed,shut down whatever you burghounds call it.
    Decided to decant for an hour and stick in the fridge for 30 minutes to bring the wine temperature down to about 14C which is nice on a hot day.

Dark cherry red… Nice Pinot Noir aromas of strawberries. Very earthy and spicy. Medium weight with a soft and supple entry and firm tannins. Beautifully balanced with wonderful mouthfeel. Excellent carry of flavours onto the palate. Although the aromas tended to close down with time, this is a very, very nice wine. Very Good and will be excellent in a few years.
Still drinking this as I type the note and it is opening up beautifully—so much so that I will have no problem in cracking open another bottle in a few months.Will I ever get the hang of Burgundy. Its so unreliable and yet at the same time so beguiling.I suppose there lies its attraction. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. Sounds like this baby is coming along nicely.

Jason

Thanks for the note. My last impression of the 2002s were that they didn’t really close down too much. I’m with you, though, in so far as I’d probably like this wine more with a bit of age, but if you have a case there’s really no reason not to enjoy it right now!

Great well made wine from a solid producer…Sounds like it’s going to be a phenomenal Burg experience in 10+ years… Thanks for opening

Real coincidence that Steffan opened the same wine today and also posted on this Forum.Looks like we had roughly the same drinking experience.

Well, look who`s here…KP!!! I have been here a few weeks and learnt a great deal. Keith, this bunch might be good for the Peebles Project!

Hi Bob, Especially as it is spelt Pebbles deadhorse

http://www.pebblesproject.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith - thanks for the note. Interestingly, I had a bottle of the 2000 Mugneret Chaignots a few weeks ago and it was surprisingly closed. I have no doubt the 02 will be a very good wine.

Thanks for this note. I had the 04 last week and it was pretty tight the first night…not green FWIW.

Wow, random, the same wine drank by you and Steffen…

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the note- I have been drinking my 2002 Vosne AC from the Mugneret sisters and trying to leave the other '02 Mugneret wines alone in the cellar for a few more years, but it sounds as if the Chaignots should be the next in line when I have finally finished up the case of the Vosne villages bottling. Both the Vosne and the Chaignots get my vote as the most improved wines in the cellars here in the last five or six years, and I began buying both wines in depth for the cellar beginning with the 1999 vintage, rather than just focusing on their lovely Chambolle “Feusselottes” and their grand crus. Their Chaignots now gets my vote as one of the most elegant bottlings in Nuits, which I find often makes it more accessible in its youth than a top premier cru from Robert Chevillon or Henri Gouges at a young age. But as good as the 2002 Chaignots is today, I would bet that you will be very happy to keep the lion’s share of your case tucked away in the cellar for at least another five years, as this wine should develop significantly more complexity with further bottle age. I had a bottle of the '76 Chaignots last year that was magical, and there is no way it was as well-made as your 2002 (and from a lesser vintage as well), so the peak for this wine should be even higher when the wine is fully mature. Don’t dip into too many bottles early on, as when the wine really blossoms, you are going to want to have a nice pile still waiting in the wings.

Best,

John

My guess is that if you keep drinking Mugneret-Gibourg you will find Burgundy much less unreliable.

Thanks John----I shall heed your advice and keep the wine for a few more years although I may be tempted to open one along the way!!
That is of course the beauty of buying wine by the case-----it is great to be able to trace the development of the wine through its various stages even if one does not actually catch it at its best for sometime.

Sounds like a good guess [welldone.gif]