The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
WvanGorp
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1583
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 9:37 am

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#151 Post by WvanGorp » March 12th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Mark F r a n k s wrote:Raney Story: Offline at Montrachet - we must have popped 20 or so bottles between the 7 or 8 attendees. Everyone is gone save for me, Raney and his buddy Duts (stud spelled backwards according to Matt). We are pretty much plowed at this point but Matt is still thirsty, Matt gets up and grabs a bottle that has been opened for another table but has been foolishly left unattended I believe it was a '61 top name Bordeaux (really can't remember) but he takes that bottle and pours into one of our empties then take one of our "house blend" (spit) buckets and pours that into the now empty bottle of prized Bordeaux and places it lovingly back on the mantle before anyone sees. We proceed to drink the good wine, it was pretty nice, while the Somm comes for bottle of leavings and brings it to the table. Raney then proceeds to engage the table in a conversation regarding their prized bottle. They loved it and offered us a taste which we all declined off course. I laughed so hard on the taxi ride back to Grand Central with Matt I thought I cracked a rib. I felt bad the next day as it was a pretty shitty thing to do, but it was funny at the time.
I was there for that one!
Wilfred van Gorp

User avatar
Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3718
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#152 Post by Nancy Dolce » March 12th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Mark F r a n k s wrote:Raney Story: Offline at Montrachet ...
This fellow MUST come to a BerserkerFest!
Be careful what you request. Did he not get banned from a restaurant because he fell through a glass door? [oops.gif]
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11057
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#153 Post by Cris Whetstone » March 12th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Nancy Dolce wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Mark F r a n k s wrote:Raney Story: Offline at Montrachet ...
This fellow MUST come to a BerserkerFest!
Be careful what you request. Did he not get banned from a restaurant because he fell through a glass door? [oops.gif]
I've heard several times that he is quite the character.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Dale Williams
Posts: 1285
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 10:19 am

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#154 Post by Dale Williams » March 12th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Nancy Dolce wrote:Be careful what you request. Did he not get banned from a restaurant because he fell through a glass door? [oops.gif]
I believe it was actually kicking through a wooden door. I wasn't there, but a long-planned event at the restaurant a few weeks later that I was attending almost got cancelled (I think Chris Wilford pleaded our case to management). In any case, that incident was pretty much the beginning of the end of Triomphe as a great offline location.
It might be pretty funny (if unhygienic) to offer spit bucket wine to someone and watch them praise it. But I dunno, call me a rube, but even if "foolishly left unattended" I personally expect my wine (not generally 61 Bdx!) to not be stolen while I am at a restaurant. But that's just me.

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4817
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#155 Post by Michel Abood » March 12th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Nancy Dolce wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Mark F r a n k s wrote:Raney Story: Offline at Montrachet ...
This fellow MUST come to a BerserkerFest!
Be careful what you request. Did he not get banned from a restaurant because he fell through a glass door? [oops.gif]
Among other things.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#156 Post by Bob Wood » March 12th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Matt Raney is a legend.

Now . . . then there was the time that Peter Hirdt, Laurent Drogin and Paul Napolitano poured Graham's Six Grapes (or the equivalent) into an empty bottle of '70 Fonseca or the like . . . only to watch Brad Kane swoon over it.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
KyleCWilkinson
Posts: 225
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 11:51 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#157 Post by KyleCWilkinson » March 12th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Sounds like there was certainly no shortage of douchebags in the history of wine forums.
ITB - Wine Director & Executive Chef, Spring Lake Country Club

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11057
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#158 Post by Cris Whetstone » March 12th, 2012, 8:10 pm

KyleCWilkinson wrote:Sounds like there was certainly no shortage of douchebags in the history of wine forums.
Present company excluded of course. [whistle.gif]
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 22068
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Location: Alta California

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#159 Post by M. Dildine » March 12th, 2012, 8:11 pm

KyleCWilkinson wrote:Sounds like there was certainly no shortage of douchebags in the history of wine forums.
And the legend continues!!! [dance-clap.gif]
Cheers,

Mike

User avatar
KyleCWilkinson
Posts: 225
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 11:51 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#160 Post by KyleCWilkinson » March 12th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
KyleCWilkinson wrote:Sounds like there was certainly no shortage of douchebags in the history of wine forums.
Present company excluded of course. [whistle.gif]
Well I've never stolen wine or kicked down a restaurant door.

Although I fully admit that I'm a douche.
ITB - Wine Director & Executive Chef, Spring Lake Country Club

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#161 Post by Tom Reddick » March 12th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote:All this reminiscing is probably great for all of you who were there. Speaking of WB in particular can someone post a timeline of where people decided that nearly every thread had to turn into a confrontation and/or war of words that ends up driving all the fun out of the experience? Sorry if I'm peeing in your wine but a bunch of fun people don't post here any longer because "It's not fun anymore, it's too confrontational". pileon
Been hearing that from nearly Day #1. I've realized no place will ever please everyone. You have to try to make the place you like the kind of experience you like. You will never control everyone else nor should you want to.
Exactly right. Even back in alt.food.wine days there was constant complaining about a lack of civility on the forums and people who left and claimed that was the reason.

For my part, I think if someone leaves an open discussion forum and gives that as the reason- they are most often deciding to leave for their own reasons and using the group in general as an excuse. Even in the final days of the Parker Board before non-subscribers were disconnected it was very possible to express one's views and stick to interesting threads.

In real life I have seen the same. Back when I was in a college fraternity- we had guys drop out during pledgeship all the time. The ones I respected most were the ones who said it was not for them and left quietly. The guys who projected their frustration on others and it made it about the entire group versus one person are the ones I didn't give a crap about.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#162 Post by Tom Reddick » March 12th, 2012, 8:30 pm

PS- Just for curiosity's sake, how many people who think the story of Raney stealing another table's bottle of old Bordeaux was cool also think what Rudy allegedly pulled off was also cool?

edit- Had the wrong guy!
Last edited by Tom Reddick on March 13th, 2012, 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

User avatar
Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5318
Joined: March 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#163 Post by Brad Kane » March 12th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Bob Wood wrote:Matt Raney is a legend.

Now . . . then there was the time that Peter Hirdt, Laurent Drogin and Paul Napolitano poured Graham's Six Grapes (or the equivalent) into an empty bottle of '70 Fonseca or the like . . . only to watch Brad Kane swoon over it.
You forgot to mention that you guys had been giving me so much grief at that dinner before dessert that my reaction to it was basically an automatic opposite reaction to you guys.

Let's also not forget that it was your constant hounding of me on the AOL wine boards with numerous fake screen names because you didn't like how I posted, that largely led me to discontinue posting there and explains why I've basically ignored you and your posts elsewhere for the last thirteen or so years, save for a couple of occasions, like now.
itb.

User avatar
Roberto Rogness
Posts: 18974
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 10:16 am
Location: Santa Monica, Rio de Janeiro

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#164 Post by Roberto Rogness » March 12th, 2012, 8:48 pm

I thought what Manzi et al did was FUNNY, as a story (if you saw that happen in a movie you would HOWL with laughter).

Was it "cool" or acceptable, NO!
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15726
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#165 Post by Craig G » March 12th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Mark F r a n k s wrote:Raney Story: Offline at Montrachet - we must have popped 20 or so bottles between the 7 or 8 attendees. Everyone is gone save for me, Raney and his buddy Duts (stud spelled backwards according to Matt). We are pretty much plowed at this point but Matt is still thirsty, Matt gets up and grabs a bottle that has been opened for another table but has been foolishly left unattended I believe it was a '61 top name Bordeaux (really can't remember) but he takes that bottle and pours into one of our empties then take one of our "house blend" (spit) buckets and pours that into the now empty bottle of prized Bordeaux and places it lovingly back on the mantle before anyone sees. We proceed to drink the good wine, it was pretty nice, while the Somm comes for bottle of leavings and brings it to the table. Raney then proceeds to engage the table in a conversation regarding their prized bottle. They loved it and offered us a taste which we all declined off course.
Now Keith Levenberg's story about the sommelier at Cru makes a lot more sense.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#166 Post by Bob Wood » March 12th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Brad Kane wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:Matt Raney is a legend.

Now . . . then there was the time that Peter Hirdt, Laurent Drogin and Paul Napolitano poured Graham's Six Grapes (or the equivalent) into an empty bottle of '70 Fonseca or the like . . . only to watch Brad Kane swoon over it.
You forgot to mention that you guys had been giving me so much grief at that dinner before dessert that my reaction to it was basically an automatic opposite reaction to you guys.
Brad, I wasn't there and had no part in it.
Brad Kane wrote:Let's also not forget that it was your constant hounding of me on the AOL wine boards with numerous fake screen names because you didn't like how I posted, that largely led me to discontinue posting there and explains why I've basically ignored you and your posts elsewhere for the last thirteen or so years, save for a couple of occasions, like now.
[rofl.gif] None of which has anything to do with how Peter, Law and Paul snookered you. It's history, Brad. It happened. It's funny. Get over it.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5318
Joined: March 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#167 Post by Brad Kane » March 12th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Btw, with regard to Matt Raney, the story's been a bit embellished over the years.

Jeff Leve was in town and so a bunch of folks, myself included, got together at Triomphe for a 1986 Bordeaux dinner in November of '03. We were too large a group by 2-3 people for the small library room upfront we were in, so things got rowdy in a hurry. What actually happened with the door was that it was at the end of the evening and Matt was trying to exit and tried using a door that was not an exit, but had in fact been nailed shut. Well Matt, having had his fill of wine, as had we all, kept trying and trying to get the door open and eventually made the nails pop and the door fell off the hinges. That combined with his leaving his gnawed rib bones from his lamb chops up on the shelves with the books got him banned from Triomphe.
Last edited by Brad Kane on March 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
itb.

User avatar
Roberto Rogness
Posts: 18974
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 10:16 am
Location: Santa Monica, Rio de Janeiro

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#168 Post by Roberto Rogness » March 12th, 2012, 9:00 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

User avatar
Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5318
Joined: March 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#169 Post by Brad Kane » March 12th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Brad Kane wrote:
Bob Wood wrote: None of which has anything to do with how Peter, Law and Paul snookered you. It's history, Brad. It happened. It's funny. Get over it.
First off, it was a substitute for a '66 Fonseca. Law, Paul and Peter and I had gone in on a case at auction and we were going to be trying a bottle and yes, they snookered me, but frankly, at that point in the evening, I would've swooned over shinola if they poured it for me just to spite them.
itb.

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#170 Post by Bob Wood » March 12th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Okay, Brad. Keep digging. You've managed to turn a humorous anecdote into something personal and derogatory. If you're lucky you can make it worse.
Last edited by Bob Wood on March 13th, 2012, 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Steve Saxon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6783
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:33 pm
Location: Telluride/Gig Harbor

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#171 Post by Steve Saxon » March 12th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Hey Bob! Didn't somebody on the old AOL board start a rumor that you were gay? [rofl.gif]
Saxon and others have willfully trashed this thread and turned it into nonsense without substance.....Mark Squires

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#172 Post by Bob Wood » March 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Steve Saxon wrote:Hey Bob! Didn't somebody on the old AOL board start a rumor that you were gay? [rofl.gif]
Yeah. Me!
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Steve Saxon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6783
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:33 pm
Location: Telluride/Gig Harbor

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#173 Post by Steve Saxon » March 12th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Steve Saxon wrote:Hey Bob! Didn't somebody on the old AOL board start a rumor that you were gay? [rofl.gif]
Yeah. Me!
Now I understand your avatar. neener
Saxon and others have willfully trashed this thread and turned it into nonsense without substance.....Mark Squires

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#174 Post by Bob Wood » March 12th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Steve Saxon wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:
Steve Saxon wrote:Hey Bob! Didn't somebody on the old AOL board start a rumor that you were gay? [rofl.gif]
Yeah. Me!
Now I understand your avatar. neener
[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6322
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#175 Post by Mel Hill » March 12th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Tom Reddick wrote: Back when I was in a college fraternity- we had guys drop out during pledgeship all the time. The ones I respected most were the ones who said it was not for them and left quietly. The guys who projected their frustration on others and it made it about the entire group versus one person are the ones I didn't give a crap about.
Wow, what sick and twisted things did you do to your pledges?
In my four years we only lost pledges to scholarship issues.
Do tell!

User avatar
Bob Foster
Posts: 858
Joined: August 25th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Location: San Diego area.

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#176 Post by Bob Foster » March 12th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Brad Kane wrote:[quote="Bob Wood")

Let's also not forget that it was your constant hounding of me on the AOL wine boards with numerous fake screen names because you didn't like how I posted, that largely led me to discontinue posting there and explains why I've basically ignored you and your posts elsewhere for the last thirteen or so years, save for a couple of occasions, like now.
Yet again the pattern is shown.
Run 1 wine comp-judge 12 others

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#177 Post by Bob Wood » March 12th, 2012, 11:43 pm

Bob Foster wrote:
Brad Kane wrote:[quote="Bob Wood")

Let's also not forget that it was your constant hounding of me on the AOL wine boards with numerous fake screen names because you didn't like how I posted, that largely led me to discontinue posting there and explains why I've basically ignored you and your posts elsewhere for the last thirteen or so years, save for a couple of occasions, like now.
Yet again the pattern is shown.
Wow. I insulted you fourteen years ago and you're still carrying a grudge.

Image
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23415
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#178 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » March 13th, 2012, 4:15 am

LOL, now this thread has gotten good!!

Keep the stories rolling.

And how do we get Raney to join? Perhaps we can entice him with a bottle of Rudified '66 Fonseca.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#179 Post by Tom Reddick » March 13th, 2012, 4:26 am

Mel Hill wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote: Back when I was in a college fraternity- we had guys drop out during pledgeship all the time. The ones I respected most were the ones who said it was not for them and left quietly. The guys who projected their frustration on others and it made it about the entire group versus one person are the ones I didn't give a crap about.
Wow, what sick and twisted things did you do to your pledges?
In my four years we only lost pledges to scholarship issues.
Do tell!
We didn't do anything like that- nor do most. The isolated incidents that hit the news are not how things work 99% of the time- 100% of the time at most houses. Most of the guys who left did so for money reasons. Being in a fraternity at Texas is not cheap- close to $10K a year if you take into account dues, supplements for things like buses and hotels for OU weekend etc.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3867
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#180 Post by k s h i n » March 13th, 2012, 6:50 am

Lewis Dawson wrote:Oddly, the 100% Euro-centric Callahan pushed the somewhat Euro-centric Parker into frequently defending California wine. At one point, Parker challenged Callahan to a blind tasting of French and California wine, with the sole measurement being to identify the country of origin. This lead to an offline, and there were maybe 10 or 12 members present (I was not one of them). As it turned out, the Cal-trashing Callahan could not tell where the wines were from, and many that he identified as his favorites turned out to be US domestic wines.

(In this tasting, Parker played a cruel trick on Callahan, but without doubt the dude deserved it.)
Callahan said that he had a cold. He subsequently started winetherpy.com
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3867
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#181 Post by k s h i n » March 13th, 2012, 7:05 am

Corey Miller wrote:he bought at Hospice du Beuane for which Jadot was doing the elevage.

What I found most amusing about all of this is how little has changed. 20+ years later, people are still basically arguing about the same things. The more things change ...
The wine was to celebrate a joyful occasion. Yupe, deadhorse.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

User avatar
Loren Sonkin
Posts: 3646
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:37 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#182 Post by Loren Sonkin » March 13th, 2012, 9:08 am

Wasn't it Raney who outed Mishy for plagerism. My all time favorite thread on a wine board!
With regards,

Loren Sonkin
Columnist at www.Intowine.com

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#183 Post by Bob Wood » March 13th, 2012, 9:12 am

Loren Sonkin wrote:Wasn't it Raney who outed Mishy for plagerism. My all time favorite thread on a wine board!
Might have been. Sounds like something Matt might do, but for some reason it's stuck in my mind that it was actually Manzi.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Mark F r a n k s
Posts: 2986
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 6:52 am
Location: A little north of hell

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#184 Post by Mark F r a n k s » March 13th, 2012, 9:27 am

Bob Wood wrote:
Loren Sonkin wrote:Wasn't it Raney who outed Mishy for plagerism. My all time favorite thread on a wine board!
Might have been. Sounds like something Matt might do, but for some reason it's stuck in my mind that it was actually Manzi.
I'm thinking it was Raney, he had it out for her from her first post, but Steve definitely could have been in on it too. Those were some epic battles back and forth.
"Valar Morghulis"

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4294
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#185 Post by Paul Jaouen » March 13th, 2012, 9:37 am

Mark F r a n k s wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:
Loren Sonkin wrote:Wasn't it Raney who outed Mishy for plagerism. My all time favorite thread on a wine board!
Might have been. Sounds like something Matt might do, but for some reason it's stuck in my mind that it was actually Manzi.
I'm thinking it was Raney, he had it out for her from her first post, but Steve definitely could have been in on it too. Those were some epic battles back and forth.
As well as Raffle. They were all over her on the Spectator board which let a lot more go than Squires did.

I haven't spoken to Raney in a couple years. He stopped hanging about the time he had serious back surgery and also had a kid born.

I was there for both the Montrachet and Triomphe dinners. There was another Montrachet dinner where Matt grabbed a bottle from another table on his way out for the train ride home. Since I had organized that dinner I got a pretty angry phone call from the restaurant.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#186 Post by Bob Wood » March 13th, 2012, 9:41 am

One of the all-time classic posts from any wine board at any time, "Nice Rack", courtesy of Steve Saxon. To this day no one is sure how Squires missed it. Warning: NSFW
Click to see spoiler:
edited - NSFW material belongs in the NSFW forum
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Mark F r a n k s
Posts: 2986
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 6:52 am
Location: A little north of hell

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#187 Post by Mark F r a n k s » March 13th, 2012, 10:13 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:
As well as Raffle. They were all over her on the Spectator board which let a lot more go than Squires did.

I haven't spoken to Raney in a couple years. He stopped hanging about the time he had serious back surgery and also had a kid born.

I was there for both the Montrachet and Triomphe dinners. There was another Montrachet dinner where Matt grabbed a bottle from another table on his way out for the train ride home. Since I had organized that dinner I got a pretty angry phone call from the restaurant.
That's right, Raffle punished her mercilessly.

I think last time I saw Raney was at an OL he put together at a restaurant called Ibiza, I think it was in New Haven, he had calmed down a bit by then. I haven't talked with him more than once or twice since his surgery. I think he has two kids now and he coaches youth hockey which makes me think of "Slapshot" for some reason.
"Valar Morghulis"

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#188 Post by Tom Reddick » March 13th, 2012, 10:18 am

Kevin Shin wrote:
Lewis Dawson wrote:Oddly, the 100% Euro-centric Callahan pushed the somewhat Euro-centric Parker into frequently defending California wine. At one point, Parker challenged Callahan to a blind tasting of French and California wine, with the sole measurement being to identify the country of origin. This lead to an offline, and there were maybe 10 or 12 members present (I was not one of them). As it turned out, the Cal-trashing Callahan could not tell where the wines were from, and many that he identified as his favorites turned out to be US domestic wines.

(In this tasting, Parker played a cruel trick on Callahan, but without doubt the dude deserved it.)
Callahan said that he had a cold. He subsequently started winetherpy.com
Rob was foolish to take that challenge. Whether or not there was any "cheating" involved, no good could have come of it. No matter the outcome, the spin masters would have come out and Parker had and has a bigger base of fans who will defend a story without question than Rob ever could have. One way or another, Rob was not going to come out of that situation looking good.

Blind tasting ability is a LOT more about having a good memory than a good palate. The latter is certainly essential at some level- but I know many people with excellent palates and lousy memories. They are not good blind tasters. Blind tasting is a helpful skill for sure, but when it comes to who is a more discerning taster- it is more of a parlour game than anything else.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3867
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#189 Post by k s h i n » March 13th, 2012, 11:08 am

Tom Reddick wrote:Blind tasting ability is a LOT more about having a good memory than a good palate. The latter is certainly essential at some level- but I know many people with excellent palates and lousy memories. They are not good blind tasters. Blind tasting is a helpful skill for sure, but when it comes to who is a more discerning taster- it is more of a parlour game than anything else.
I beg differ. I am not sure how having a good memory can help correctly identify domestic vs french. But this has been deadhorse.
Last edited by k s h i n on March 13th, 2012, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#190 Post by Tom Reddick » March 13th, 2012, 11:09 am

Kevin Shin wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote:Blind tasting ability is a LOT more about having a good memory than a good palate. The latter is certainly essential at some level- but I know many people with excellent palates and lousy memories. They are not good blind tasters. Blind tasting is a helpful skill for sure, but when it comes to who is a more discerning taster- it is more of a parlour game than anything else.
I beg differ but this has been deadhorse.
I can also tell fake DRC from real and have done so many times.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3867
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#191 Post by k s h i n » March 13th, 2012, 11:11 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
Kevin Shin wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote:Blind tasting ability is a LOT more about having a good memory than a good palate. The latter is certainly essential at some level- but I know many people with excellent palates and lousy memories. They are not good blind tasters. Blind tasting is a helpful skill for sure, but when it comes to who is a more discerning taster- it is more of a parlour game than anything else.
I beg differ but this has been deadhorse.
I can also tell fake DRC from real and have done so many times.
??? Can you elaborate?
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39850
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#192 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 13th, 2012, 11:13 am

Kevin Shin wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote:
I can also tell fake DRC from real and have done so many times.
??? Can you elaborate?
How about, instead, we stay on topic?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 22068
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Location: Alta California

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#193 Post by M. Dildine » March 13th, 2012, 11:19 am

I can eat 50 eggs.
Cheers,

Mike

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#194 Post by Tom Reddick » March 13th, 2012, 11:23 am

M. Dildine wrote:I can eat 50 eggs.
I can eat 50 eggs too- provided they came out of a fish flirtysmile
ITB - Cellar appraisals

User avatar
Ron Kramer
Posts: 7124
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 4:09 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#195 Post by Ron Kramer » March 13th, 2012, 11:25 am

Kevin Shin wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote:Blind tasting ability is a LOT more about having a good memory than a good palate. The latter is certainly essential at some level- but I know many people with excellent palates and lousy memories. They are not good blind tasters. Blind tasting is a helpful skill for sure, but when it comes to who is a more discerning taster- it is more of a parlour game than anything else.
I beg differ. I am not sure how having a good memory can help correctly identify domestic vs french. But this has been deadhorse.
Just a point of order, the challenge was to tell new world from old world wines not identify the individual wine. A 50-50 choice.

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3867
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#196 Post by k s h i n » March 13th, 2012, 11:28 am

Ron Kramer wrote:
Kevin Shin wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote:Blind tasting ability is a LOT more about having a good memory than a good palate. The latter is certainly essential at some level- but I know many people with excellent palates and lousy memories. They are not good blind tasters. Blind tasting is a helpful skill for sure, but when it comes to who is a more discerning taster- it is more of a parlour game than anything else.
I beg differ. I am not sure how having a good memory can help correctly identify domestic vs french. But this has been deadhorse.
Just a point of order, the challenge was to tell new world from old world wines not identify the individual wine. A 50-50 choice.
I am in agreement with Tom that there was nothing to be gained by Rob. I was also surprised that he did so poorly.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

User avatar
Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5318
Joined: March 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#197 Post by Brad Kane » March 13th, 2012, 11:34 am

Kevin Shin wrote:
I am in agreement with Tom that there was nothing to be gained by Rob. I was also surprised that he did so poorly.
I worked with him in the days leading up to the tasting. He was sick as hell. You'd see him off alone in a section of the store clearly in a bubble, oblivious to everything around him looking like he was trying trying to equalize the pressure in his ears. Aside from not attending due to the likelihood of a setup, he should've bailed because he was in no condition to smell or taste anything. The fact that he got anything right, imho, is pretty amazing.
itb.

User avatar
Lewis Dawson
Posts: 3875
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 5:37 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#198 Post by Lewis Dawson » March 13th, 2012, 11:38 am

There's no crying in baseball.
-- Lew --
Italian Bikes &
French Wines

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3867
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#199 Post by k s h i n » March 13th, 2012, 11:50 am

Brad Kane wrote:
Kevin Shin wrote:
I am in agreement with Tom that there was nothing to be gained by Rob. I was also surprised that he did so poorly.
I worked with him in the days leading up to the tasting. He was sick as hell. You'd see him off alone in a section of the store clearly in a bubble, oblivious to everything around him looking like he was trying trying to equalize the pressure in his ears. Aside from not attending due to the likelihood of a setup, he should've bailed because he was in no condition to smell or taste anything. The fact that he got anything right, imho, is pretty amazing.
Thanks for the information. BTW, although opinionated, Rob was nice in person.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

User avatar
Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5318
Joined: March 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: The History of Wine Forums and Social Networking

#200 Post by Brad Kane » March 13th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Kevin Shin wrote:
Brad Kane wrote:
Kevin Shin wrote:
I am in agreement with Tom that there was nothing to be gained by Rob. I was also surprised that he did so poorly.
I worked with him in the days leading up to the tasting. He was sick as hell. You'd see him off alone in a section of the store clearly in a bubble, oblivious to everything around him looking like he was trying trying to equalize the pressure in his ears. Aside from not attending due to the likelihood of a setup, he should've bailed because he was in no condition to smell or taste anything. The fact that he got anything right, imho, is pretty amazing.
Thanks for the information. BTW, although opinionated, Rob was nice in person.
That can be said of most people on wine boards. [wink.gif]

Rob and I certainly had our differences of opinion, but I still consider him a friend and there's no denying that he had/has amazing wine knowledge and palate memory. Nice to see he just surfaced for the first time in a while on the Pinon thread on WD.
itb.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”