What bottle of wine did you open today?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
melvinyeo

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12801 Post by melvinyeo »

• 2016 David & Nadia Elpidios - South Africa, Coastal Region, Swartland (8/3/2021)
    Carignan 34%, Syrah 33%, Pinotage 14%, Cinsaut 14%, Grenache 5%.
    This was delightful on opening but became a little hot and alcoholic. After a couple of hours, it settled into a very balanced wine.Silky tannins with an elegant texture, good core of dark blue fruits and some spice. Very impressed by this, and on this showing I think I prefer their reds to the Chenins I've tried.
  • 2016 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Nuits St. Georges Les Lavières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges (8/3/2021)
    Slightly funky nose, whiffs of brett that gave the impression of old school Burgundy (which is not necessarily a good thing). Made in a more powerful and extracted style, darker fruited on the palate. Didn't quite like this but the rusticity is true to NSG I suppose.
ImageImage

Casey Hartlip

#12802 Post by Casey Hartlip »

IMG_20210309_060100784.jpg
Starting to come around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

michael ottesen

#12803 Post by michael ottesen »

Burlotto Acclivi 2008
Very Nice and ready to go

Tom R W

#12804 Post by Tom R W »

Had these with friends & pizza last night.
7DC33203-4954-4667-A481-4EAE83394017.jpeg
Laura Michael/Zahtila 2008 Zin- raisiny. Spicy, prunes, plums. Much prefer her Oat Hill bottles.

5200F298-8E34-497D-A072-A33655C11AD4.jpeg
Saxum 2013 Paderewski. Opened early & gave it plenty of air. This was a spicy monster! I wanted to try this bottle and was looking for an excuse to get into it. Worked surprisingly well w sausage pizza. Lovely wine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
W a r r e n

Jonathan Jetter

#12805 Post by Jonathan Jetter »

IMG_4024.JPG
2018 Domaine de la Bergerie "La Cerisaie" Anjou Rouge.

On the one hand, It's well-made, clearly the Loire, clearly Cab Franc, richly fruited, and ready to drink, so I can't complain.

On the other hand, it's bigger, darker, and riper than usual. 14.1 ABV%. Either my tastes have changed or the 2018 is quite a bit different from previous vintages.

Still totally like it, especially for $16. But I'd happily pay double for a slightly earlier harvest, a lower ABV, a little more greenness, and a little more funk in the barrel.
Last edited by Jonathan Jetter on March 27th, 2021, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12806 Post by Julian Marshall »

I tasted something seriously weird last night:

Domaine de l'A - Côtes de Castillon - 2005

As you probably all know, this belongs to the wine consultant Stéphane Derenoncourt. I bought a single bottle at release out of curiosity, despite what seemed like a hefty price tag - 29€. Since then, it has sat in my cellar, the sort of wine I've been meaning to open for years, without plucking up the courage to do so. After a singularly poor experience with a similar experiment (Bad Boy 05 by Thunevin, one of the top ten worst wines I have ever tasted), I was not over-optimistic. I was expecting something quite rich and oaky.

As it turned out, I was both right and wrong to worry.

On opening, the first sniff was really surprising - no oak, no chocolate, no deep, rich aromas, on the contrary, a wonderfully fresh smell of spring flowers, followed by sweet cherry, violets and a hint of plum. The first sip was just as disconcerting - very fresh and fruity, like a Chinon, blueberry, blackcurrant and cherry, not at all cloying, but then it morphed into something else - cough mixture, with a very hot after-taste which slides down the back of the throat. Going back for more, the attack tasted slightly weak compared to the hot finish, giving the impression of something unbalanced. Not bad, but I've had better Côtes de Castillon for a lot less.

All in all, not the disaster I feared but nothing special either, especially at the price. The best thing about this was the bouquet.

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12807 Post by MikeL238 »

1988 Chasse Spleen. Didn't have any expectation, but oh wow, it was delicious. Perfectly matured Bordeaux. Sweet black fruit, forest floor, and leather. What really surprised me was how long the finish was for such an old claret. Didn't get tired even though being opened for several hours. Good till the last drop. Classic.
Mike Leigh

Jonathan Jaggers

#12808 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

2012 Paul Hobbs Beckstoffer Las Piedras. Fairly blown away with it's grace, power, and harmony. Notes ranged from plumb, currant, mocha, black tea, graphite, fig paste, and sailed on the finish for a long, long time. Too bad that was my last bottle of that vintage!

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12809 Post by Bud Carey »

2006 Karl Lawrence cabernet. Still going strong. Not going downhill any time soon.
Budman

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12810 Post by John Glas »

2014 Buena Vista Cabernet Sauvignon Chateau Buena Vista - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/11/2021)
Day 1: Not as good on this bottle. Damp earth, ripe fruit, lacks acidity. Some spice on the finish. Not going to rate this right now to see if it improves. 85ish
Day 2: Well it is better than day 1 but not what former bottles showed. Damp earth, ripe fruit, spices, rose petals and wood. Kind of a mess. The bottle is not flawed it is what this bottle is showing. I bought a lot of this wine and have enjoyed most of the bottles. This is just not as good. 87 points
Recommendation: Most bottles solid and I hope this wine has not peaked and it is in its decline. (87 points)

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12811 Post by John Glas »

2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (3/12/2021)
Day 1: New and final batch came today! This bottle is rocking with spice, blueberries, minerals, menthol and cassis. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. 94 points (94 points)

Sean Corbett

#12812 Post by Sean Corbett »

Yao C wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 3:13 pm 2017 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie
Primarily darkish fruit, with just enough herbaceous funk to save it from complete anonymity; light and 'fluid' on the palate; not particularly interesting, and pretty poor value - I would rather have the '18 H-N Vosne from a few days ago for the same money; decent plus

edit> no meaningful improvement after one night in the fridge
Also just opened this, and I agree with Yao. Here in the Soviet Republic Of Canuckistan, the 2017 Gerard Cote-Rotie is $90. It's objectively fine, but nothing particularly better than our local BC syrah which I regularly heavily criticize. Brutal.

I'm on hour 1.5 of it being open. Hopefully something interesting will happen in the next few hours.

On the other hand, his baseline 2017 Viognier was fantastic, and I'll be getting more of it.

I think the issue is that as soon as you write "Cote Rotie" on a label, at least here, the price is ridiculous. If it were $40 I would have been less choked.

Maybe I secretly hate syrah, since I am disappointed with it every time it is not Walla Walla, Santa Barbara, or Chave.

Drinking syrah is like dating strippers. Highest highs and lowest lows.
ITB
Partners in Canadian low-intervention wine club Crushable.club

A1ex H

#12813 Post by A1ex H »

• 2009 Saxum Bone Rock James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (3/13/2021)
    From magnum. Layers of sweet red and blue fruit, spiced meat, herbs and a hint of cloves. The palate is sweet and mouth coating - definitely full bodied. There are notes of dark cherries, raspberry, plums, herbs and pepper. Great concentration, length and balance. A little heat on the finish. Clearly a big wine but holds it all together with good acidity. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
H@ns£n

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12814 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: March 8th, 2021, 4:05 pm Opened a 2004 Certan de May, Pomerol, on Saturday. Did not like it at all, was rather astringent even after a several hour decant. Stuck it in the fridge. Revisiting tonight, and I like it very much. Quite a transformation, clearly this wine needed significant air. Now that it is open, the red berries and wet earth are shining through. A lovely drink.
One of the fascinating things about wine. I'd love to understand what is happening at a molecular level to so completely transform a wine. We've all had the experience: you contemplate dumping a bottle after opening as borderline undrinkable ("life's too short!" as the saying goes) and yet an hour or three later you're enchanted by the same wine. Magical!

We never considered pouring out the 1997 Heitz Trailside we drank last night. Absolutely gorgeous wine, kissed by the vintage. Clearly Californian but also clearly a cousin-once-removed from its Medocian forebears.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12815 Post by Brian Tuite »

This week...

568698AA-BCDD-4A94-B88B-99EA8B9ABB68.jpeg
80776972-A34A-49F1-882D-D656F1385A10.jpeg
F089EAC8-4E42-4F7A-9E3D-200A7F45460D.jpeg
343B749A-A44D-495C-A8B0-8F762631CC7F.jpeg
B17A964F-27A2-44D3-A8F7-D745E00C2FD5.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Joseph Grassa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12816 Post by Joseph Grassa »

2010 Conde Neo

still loving this wine, especially for the price and a few years left of maturation.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12817 Post by Craig G »

Sean Corbett wrote: March 12th, 2021, 4:43 pmDrinking syrah is like dating strippers. Highest highs and lowest lows.
Where can one find the Chave Hermitage of strippers? Asking for a friend.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12818 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Neal.Mollen wrote: March 13th, 2021, 7:23 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote: March 8th, 2021, 4:05 pm Opened a 2004 Certan de May, Pomerol, on Saturday. Did not like it at all, was rather astringent even after a several hour decant. Stuck it in the fridge. Revisiting tonight, and I like it very much. Quite a transformation, clearly this wine needed significant air. Now that it is open, the red berries and wet earth are shining through. A lovely drink.
One of the fascinating things about wine. I'd love to understand what is happening at a molecular level to so completely transform a wine. We've all had the experience: you contemplate dumping a bottle after opening as borderline undrinkable ("life's too short!" as the saying goes) and yet an hour or three later you're enchanted by the same wine. Magical!

We never considered pouring out the 1997 Heitz Trailside we drank last night. Absolutely gorgeous wine, kissed by the vintage. Clearly Californian but also clearly a cousin-once-removed from its Medocian forebears.
I know, so true. Had this been a $25 or under wine, I would have dumped it. At this $100+ price-point, I always set them aside to see if something happens. Often they do not improve, but occasionally they morph into a butterfly like this one.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12819 Post by Neal.Mollen »

2010 Domaine Joseph Voillot Volnay 1er Cru Champans. Opened kinda sorta by accident (pulled and brought upstairs where I saw that I had the wrong wine, but I am lazy so WTF).

Absolutely gorgeous and much more eager than a 10 year old Volnay 1er has any right to be. Transparent, nearly rose color, bright as a spring morning and just a lot of fun to drink with Greek food for dinner. Bravo, me, for picking this wine!

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12820 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Neal.Mollen wrote: March 13th, 2021, 4:11 pm 2010 Domaine Joseph Voillot Volnay 1er Cru Champans. Opened kinda sorta by accident (pulled and brought upstairs where I saw that I had the wrong wine, but I am lazy so WTF).

Absolutely gorgeous and much more eager than a 10 year old Volnay 1er has any right to be. Transparent, nearly rose color, bright as a spring morning and just a lot of fun to drink with Greek food for dinner. Bravo, me, for picking this wine!
Loved this wine a couple years ago. Sadly I only bought one bottle.

Jake Dvoskin
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12821 Post by Jake Dvoskin »

2019 Rivers - Marie suma v/y
Open for about two hours. great wine.

Joseph Grassa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12822 Post by Joseph Grassa »

2016 Gulfi NeroBufaleffj

Very happy with this. Only bought 2, but may have to grab more! One is not enough to have cellared.

Joseph Grassa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12823 Post by Joseph Grassa »

Yesterday was great opening the Sicilian 2016 Gulfi NeroBufaleffj, watching The Godfather, with some olives, cheese, and a sandwhich with prosciutto, mozzarella, chicken cutlet, roasted red peppers, and balsamic...

Today starting The Godfather pt 2 with a similar cheese plate, with olives, prosciutto di Parma, Genoa salami and some lasagna, I thought i was on pace for the same thing but the (again Sicilian) 2016 Tasca Conti d'Almerita Perricone Guarnaccio was slightly corked. I tried to salvage it with a 2017 Schiena Vini Impero Primitivo di Manduria, that I had already coravined... too sweet and rich for my taste on a primitivo... I tried to keep it alive making a sangria with it... still not happy... finally i gave in and skipped straight to desert.

S&B Borgogno Barolo Chinato

Not quite as good as the GD Vajra I had on Christmas Eve, but it is clear that I love Barolo Chinato and this was a great save for the day.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12824 Post by John Glas »

patch wine.jpg

Jonathan Jaggers

#12825 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

2016 Gary Farrell Ritchie Chardonnay. Quite a contrast with Ramey Ritchie chards that I've had, which were a little more plush, this was very citrus-focused and austere.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12826 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Some time ago I ordered a bunch of half bottles of 2016 Bourgneuf (Pomerol). They finally arrived and I finally opened one and was exceptionally pleased. I don't ordinarily like to buy multiple bottles of wine to lay down that I have not tried, and in this case I was acting double-blind in that I had never even had the label, much less this vintage.

Any concerns I might have had were immediately alleviated on opening the bottle. Saying that the wine smelled, looked, and tasted "correct" may seem like damning with faint praise but this is a proper Pomerol, with deep and luscious fruit but not a hint of OTT alcohol or jamminess. Every element was on point. I predict a long life for this one, even in the half bottle format, and it would not surprise me if it remains a friendly drink throughout.

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12827 Post by Jeff_M. »

Have a 2010 O'Shaughnessy Mt Veeder in the decanter (this smells so damn good) & a Togni 98' for dinner tonight with Flannery hangers.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

2021 WOTY Candidates
2010 O'Shaughnessy Mt. Veeder

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12828 Post by John Glas »

Another Patch and confirmed that I needed to order another case at $11.00 a bottle.

J. Hayes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12829 Post by J. Hayes »

2017 Kutch Sonoma Coast Chardonnay.
John

Jonathan Jaggers

#12830 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

2018 Turnbull Napa Vally Cabernet Sauvignon

Young, but I was attending a zoom tasting/chat about another 2018 Napa Cab that I definitely didn't want to open yet so had to call an audible. With 2 hour decant it's drinking nicely and a very solid QPR for Napa.

D Lieberman
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12831 Post by D Lieberman »

2013 Solisté Pinot Noir Nouveau Monde
David Lieberman
Wine, Art, Family...

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12832 Post by Brian Pinci »

1999 Chapoutier Cote Rotie Les Becasses. Stood up for several days. Pop and pour. Very slow to open up. Took about 3 hours and still hard to coax much of nose. Palate also took a while to show what it had. I’ll try again tomorrow with this bottle. It definitely has something going on but I should have decanted.
Brian Pinci

A1ex H

#12833 Post by A1ex H »

2012 Domaine de Montille Corton Charlemagne
2011 Jean Grivot Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Beaux Monts
H@ns£n

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12834 Post by Ken Strauss »

2010 Morlet Ma Douce
2012 Occidental SWK
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Jonathan Jetter

#12835 Post by Jonathan Jetter »

2000 J.B. Becker Wallufer Walkenberg Spatlese (first time I think I've tried a not-tröcken Becker)

Not quite as rich and full as other vintages/cuveés, but still thoroughly enjoyable. Paired well with a spicy asian-style pork and noodle dish.
Last edited by Jonathan Jetter on March 19th, 2021, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene Bayani
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#12836 Post by Eugene Bayani »

17 Asatsuyu by Kenzo

RTP Latham Richard

#12837 Post by RTP Latham Richard »

2010 Haut Bergey (slightly earlier than today). At 90.5 from me it was ranked equal lowest of the left bank red bordeaux we have, and the only one ranked as low as "fifth growth" for its great year. I now give it at least a 91, "promoting it" to my "fourth growth" standard for 2010 Pessac Leognan. RTPL

joejolesch

#12838 Post by joejolesch »

2017 William & Mary Shifflett Ranch Cab just hit the decanter - already smells beautiful.
WOTY - 2017 W&M Shifflett Cab

Erik Muir
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12839 Post by Erik Muir »

2015 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux

MSemler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12840 Post by MSemler »

2015 Genot-Boulanger Clos de Vougeot - just a baby but delicious
M@x

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12841 Post by Neal.Mollen »

RTP Latham Richard wrote: March 20th, 2021, 8:29 am 2010 Haut Bergey (slightly earlier than today). At 90.5 from me it was ranked equal lowest of the left bank red bordeaux we have, and the only one ranked as low as "fifth growth" for its great year. I now give it at least a 91, "promoting it" to my "fourth growth" standard for 2010 Pessac Leognan. RTPL
it's a very modern wine, is it not?

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12842 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Neal.Mollen wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:33 am
RTP Latham Richard wrote: March 20th, 2021, 8:29 am 2010 Haut Bergey (slightly earlier than today). At 90.5 from me it was ranked equal lowest of the left bank red bordeaux we have, and the only one ranked as low as "fifth growth" for its great year. I now give it at least a 91, "promoting it" to my "fourth growth" standard for 2010 Pessac Leognan. RTPL
Very

@lfert

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12843 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:38 am
Neal.Mollen wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:33 am
Very
Robert, you'd like that Bourgneuf I mentioned above.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12844 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Neal.Mollen wrote: March 18th, 2021, 9:12 am Some time ago I ordered a bunch of half bottles of 2016 Bourgneuf (Pomerol). They finally arrived and I finally opened one and was exceptionally pleased. I don't ordinarily like to buy multiple bottles of wine to lay down that I have not tried, and in this case I was acting double-blind in that I had never even had the label, much less this vintage.

Any concerns I might have had were immediately alleviated on opening the bottle. Saying that the wine smelled, looked, and tasted "correct" may seem like damning with faint praise but this is a proper Pomerol, with deep and luscious fruit but not a hint of OTT alcohol or jamminess. Every element was on point. I predict a long life for this one, even in the half bottle format, and it would not surprise me if it remains a friendly drink throughout.
Not sure how I missed this, but you nailed it. I bought 12 of these in 375 as well, we prolly got them from the same place - Wine Cellarage?

I popped one this past week as well along with a 2011 Magdelaine. I posted on the Magdelaine and intended to post some thoughts on the Bourgneuf but forgot. I have always enjoyed this label, it’s an old school, often somewhat rustic wine, but it has remained true to Pomerol, IMHO. I popped a 1982 last January 2020, it was stupendous. These wines can age, but in this vintage, I think we have a wine that likely will drink nicely throughout its window. I almost popped a 2015 last night just to check it out, see if I want more, as I really have not bought much from the 2015 vintage. I ended up popping another Pomerol that I really like.

Great stuff, Neal!

@lfert

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12845 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

2014 La Gravette de Certan

One of the only second labels that I buy, second to Vieux Chateau Certan. Needs time of course, but this is a very good Pomerol in its own right. Looking forward to trying the 2016.

@lfert

Demian Saenz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12846 Post by Demian Saenz »

2002 Patricia Green Balcombe Yamhill County Pinot from their recent library release.

Jake Dvoskin
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12847 Post by Jake Dvoskin »

2009 Heitz Napa Valley Cab. really good.

Jonathan Jetter

#12848 Post by Jonathan Jetter »

2019 Baudry Les Granges. Delicious right from the first sip. Darker fruit but not overripe or hot. Bell pepper, graphite, and a fair bit of barnyard. Nothing fancy, but excellent value at $20.

T. Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12849 Post by T. Kaplan »

2019 Dr. Loosen Erdener Treppchen Riesling Spätlese. Gorgeous concentration, acidity, and minerality. Paired with Trinidadian chicken curry, and it cut right through the heat. I'd be stocking up on way more 2019 Mosel Riesling if I had a decent cellaring situation.
T a y l o r

Jonathan Jaggers

#12850 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

We did a grilled Santa Maria style tri-tip last night and paired it with a 2015 Bedrock Monte Rosso Zinfandel and a 2015 Ramey Napa Valley Cabernet. Both were delicious and drinking well now, but the spice and acid in the Monte Rosso proved to be the superior pairing.

Return to “Wine Talk”