What bottle of wine did you open today?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39330
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12501 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 15th, 2020, 7:25 am

Marc Hébrart Brut Rosé. To be honest, I let expectations get the better of me. I have been so impressed with the range that I thought I'd fall in love with this and yet I didn't. It is good wine for sure. It was fun to drink. Served this at a party or BTG at a restaurant I would have been perfectly happy. But it just lacked the complexity I expected to find. It also was had the tinniest bit of apparent sweetness on the finish.

Maybe I'll age my remaining bottles and see what develops; this was a brand new edition (pretty new label and all).
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 4141
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12502 Post by Ramon C » November 15th, 2020, 8:00 am

Stephen Faulkner wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Ramon C wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 6:26 am
2005 Domaine fu Pegau Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvee Réservee

A pure, elegant, smooth-textured, red-berry laden CdP. Pegau had consistently shown that it shines in cooler, less-heralded, even difficult, vintages and this is another proof. A reminder that CdP need not be a minefield.




F659C41C-C707-4FC5-BCAF-EBFB48B978B0.jpeg
2005 was difficult? I thought it was a very good/great vintage. Paging Maestro Gerhard.
Perhaps not written very clearly, but I don't think you can conclude from my note that I meant for 2005 to be a difficult vintage.
@brera

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 4141
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12503 Post by Ramon C » November 15th, 2020, 8:34 am

My first wine dinner-drinks since early March with great local wine-enthusiasts that I've been fortunate to have had great times with over the years. Our hosts, Dale/Betsy/Ruby, were graceful, thoughtful and generous, with all the Covid-19 precautions covered and then some. So, on November 7, 6 winegeeks (plus our hosts) convened at Dobbs Ferry and had mains of delicious grilled fresh lobsters and roast lamb, while enjoying these most interesting wines:


2019 Francois Cotat Culs de Beaujeu Sancerre
2008 Pascal Cotat La Grande Cote Sancerre
2008 Pascal Cotat Les Monts Damnes Sancerre
2008 Francois Cotat Les Monts Damnes Sancerre
2008 Francois Cotat Les Culs de Beaujeu Sancerre
2019 Francois Cotat Culs de Beaujeu

NV Calsac L’Echappee Belle Brut Champagne
2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Auslese
1985 Taittinger Collection (-Lichtenstein)

1988 Dom. Robert Chevillon Nuits St George
1991 Dom. Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares

1970 Ch. Magdelaine, St. Emilion
1975 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou, St. Julien
1979 Ch. Ausone, St. Emilion
1978 Ch. Montrose, St. Estephe
1985 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou, St. Julien
1985 Ch. Magdelaine, St. Emilion
1989 Ch. Cos d’Estournel, St. Estephe
@brera

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2636
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12504 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 15th, 2020, 9:36 am

Ramon C wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 8:34 am
My first wine dinner-drinks since early March with great local wine-enthusiasts that I've been fortunate to have had great times with over the years. Our hosts, Dale/Betsy/Ruby, were graceful, thoughtful and generous, with all the Covid-19 precautions covered and then some. So, on November 7, 6 winegeeks (plus our hosts) convened at Dobbs Ferry and had mains of delicious grilled fresh lobsters and roast lamb, while enjoying these most interesting wines:


2019 Francois Cotat Culs de Beaujeu Sancerre
2008 Pascal Cotat La Grande Cote Sancerre
2008 Pascal Cotat Les Monts Damnes Sancerre
2008 Francois Cotat Les Monts Damnes Sancerre
2008 Francois Cotat Les Culs de Beaujeu Sancerre
2019 Francois Cotat Culs de Beaujeu

NV Calsac L’Echappee Belle Brut Champagne
2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Auslese
1985 Taittinger Collection (-Lichtenstein)

1988 Dom. Robert Chevillon Nuits St George
1991 Dom. Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares

1970 Ch. Magdelaine, St. Emilion
1975 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou, St. Julien
1979 Ch. Ausone, St. Emilion
1978 Ch. Montrose, St. Estephe
1985 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou, St. Julien
1985 Ch. Magdelaine, St. Emilion
1989 Ch. Cos d’Estournel, St. Estephe
I’ve been waiting for you or Dale to post notes so I could chime in, but not this time I guess? But thanks again to Dale/Betsy/Ruby for hosting outdoors and a great dinner:


User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39330
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12505 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 15th, 2020, 3:47 pm

2003 Fombrauge

On first opening,

Image

But after sitting open for a couple of hours, it was like

Image

So in summation, I'd say it was very

Image
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 4141
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12506 Post by Ramon C » November 15th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:36 am
Ramon C wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 8:34 am
My first wine dinner-drinks since early March with great local wine-enthusiasts that I've been fortunate to have had great times with over the years. Our hosts, Dale/Betsy/Ruby, were graceful, thoughtful and generous, with all the Covid-19 precautions covered and then some. So, on November 7, 6 winegeeks (plus our hosts) convened at Dobbs Ferry and had mains of delicious grilled fresh lobsters and roast lamb, while enjoying these most interesting wines:


2019 Francois Cotat Culs de Beaujeu Sancerre
2008 Pascal Cotat La Grande Cote Sancerre
2008 Pascal Cotat Les Monts Damnes Sancerre
2008 Francois Cotat Les Monts Damnes Sancerre
2008 Francois Cotat Les Culs de Beaujeu Sancerre
2019 Francois Cotat Culs de Beaujeu

NV Calsac L’Echappee Belle Brut Champagne
2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Auslese
1985 Taittinger Collection (-Lichtenstein)

1988 Dom. Robert Chevillon Nuits St George
1991 Dom. Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares

1970 Ch. Magdelaine, St. Emilion
1975 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou, St. Julien
1979 Ch. Ausone, St. Emilion
1978 Ch. Montrose, St. Estephe
1985 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou, St. Julien
1985 Ch. Magdelaine, St. Emilion
1989 Ch. Cos d’Estournel, St. Estephe
I’ve been waiting for you or Dale to post notes so I could chime in, but not this time I guess? But thanks again to Dale/Betsy/Ruby for hosting outdoors and a great dinner:


Love the photo. Very much enjoyed the Cotat flights.

I have scant notes/views, given that I was just enjoying the event as if unfolded. Our reds were no slouch, either. No terrible or bad bottle, given the age, and a few very pleasant surprises.

A great night of company, dinner and wines.

Here’s one of my photos.


E8E1E269-D417-41E3-905C-5FB1141CBB53.jpeg
@brera

User avatar
J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 398
Joined: July 4th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12507 Post by J Dove » November 15th, 2020, 4:55 pm

2001 Alion

Cellertracker notes suggested it was headed for the graveyard. Hardly! Absolutely terrific, as always. Gilman’s note on it is a head scratcher for me.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

User avatar
A1ex H
Posts: 316
Joined: August 16th, 2016, 12:32 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12508 Post by A1ex H » November 16th, 2020, 5:58 am

2017 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie Améthyste
The nose is bright and full of spice, herbs and dark fruit. The palate is well balanced and sweet with good acidity and notes of black cherry, spice, dried herbs and meat. A tasty young syrah.
H@ns£n

User avatar
Yao C
Posts: 1043
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 10:53 pm
Location: Portland / San Francisco

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12509 Post by Yao C » November 16th, 2020, 8:05 am

1999 Ridge Monte Bello
Not nearly as complex, arresting, or flashy as other examples of claret - and this wine instantly sets one's frame of reference to Bordeaux - and yet so beautifully integrated that it's hard to imagine how it could be better; the fruit is finely perched between black/red, and there is a generosity to it that hints at the New World; also there's a deeply pitched complexity - creosote comes to mind; double decanted and it took about two hours for the wine to fully emerge from its shell of velvety tannin; something of an epiphany Monte Bello for us; 13.0% alcohol on the label - wow!; very good minus
C h 0 o n 6

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 4141
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12510 Post by Ramon C » November 16th, 2020, 3:29 pm

2006 Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses 1er

A fun and decent pairing with a very fatty beef during our Sunday@home dinner.

Wine was young to my taste. Even then, nice tart, sour cherries. Broth, nicely-layered plump, cool red fruit, a good touch of earthiness. As old school as any Pinot as I’ve had. Good length. I’m digging this and am excited for the aging prospect of my remaining bottles. B+

As for my rare foray into A5, purchased at decent sale price at my nearby Eataly, and just as before, found it too rich and became quite cloying near the end. Give me good ole ‘merican wagyu with sufficient beefy content, anytime.



C2F4AED5-209B-4043-9C22-5CDDE2C975A7.jpeg
@brera

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1163
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12511 Post by AD Northup » November 16th, 2020, 3:50 pm

1989 Ridge Howell Mountain Zin...enjoyable but definitely on the downslope
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3798
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12512 Post by LMD Ermitaño » November 21st, 2020, 5:25 am

With tonight’s main course of pan-seared duck breasts, two red burgs: 1998 Domaine François Gaunoux Pommard 1er Crus Les Rugiens & Les Grands Epenots. It was interesting listening to my sons differentiate the 2 reds. They’re learning.
Attachments
8B4CFCC4-7FB4-4F7B-A896-73E3709F539F.jpeg
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

User avatar
Yao C
Posts: 1043
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 10:53 pm
Location: Portland / San Francisco

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12513 Post by Yao C » November 21st, 2020, 8:21 am

Local restaurant's response to the pandemic: offering treasures from their wine collection at/below retail. And so...

2014 Clos Rougeard Poyeux
Accessible from the get go - delicate reddish fruit with just a hint of leafy green to signal its origins; not showing a ton of complexity but you're inclined to take it on faith that it's lurking beneath the surface, given the pedigree; silky textured with powdery tannins; deepens noticeably with air - pen ink, darker fruit, cedar; will certainly keep improving but already a delicious drink; good with upside
C h 0 o n 6

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8245
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12514 Post by Paul Miller » November 21st, 2020, 6:41 pm

1997 Taylor Fladgate, Port
Aromas of raisins, banana bread, almonds. Flavors of dried raisins and tart dried cherries, chocolate, butterscotch, cinnamon. Mouthcoating. Delicious.

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3798
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12515 Post by LMD Ermitaño » November 22nd, 2020, 4:53 am

Usual Sunday pica-pica/merienda-cena at home.
740DFFBE-EF7F-4FD2-ACB1-8E0339BF50FA.jpeg
F3957D46-AABD-4596-8FDE-C610A62F8DFB.jpeg
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24373
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12516 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 22nd, 2020, 4:55 am

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:53 am
Usual Sunday pica-pica/merienda-cena at home.

740DFFBE-EF7F-4FD2-ACB1-8E0339BF50FA.jpeg

F3957D46-AABD-4596-8FDE-C610A62F8DFB.jpeg
Growing up in South Florida, that was a typical Cuban Sunday watching the Miami Dolphins. Some serious memories right there. Same food!
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24373
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12517 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 22nd, 2020, 4:57 am

Yao C wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 8:21 am
Local restaurant's response to the pandemic: offering treasures from their wine collection at/below retail. And so...

2014 Clos Rougeard Poyeux
Accessible from the get go - delicate reddish fruit with just a hint of leafy green to signal its origins; not showing a ton of complexity but you're inclined to take it on faith that it's lurking beneath the surface, given the pedigree; silky textured with powdery tannins; deepens noticeably with air - pen ink, darker fruit, cedar; will certainly keep improving but already a delicious drink; good with upside
The Le Clos is outstanding as well. I’m not touching the Les Ps for quite some time but thanks for the glimpse.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3798
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12518 Post by LMD Ermitaño » November 22nd, 2020, 5:16 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:55 am
LMD Ermitaño wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:53 am
Usual Sunday pica-pica/merienda-cena at home.

740DFFBE-EF7F-4FD2-ACB1-8E0339BF50FA.jpeg

F3957D46-AABD-4596-8FDE-C610A62F8DFB.jpeg
Growing up in South Florida, that was a typical Cuban Sunday watching the Miami Dolphins. Some serious memories right there. Same food!
Nice! Had some cassoulet as well. No SW France red on hand though...
Attachments
3FD9EB39-CA0A-4EA7-92F0-4619E2C66FE7.jpeg
4211A9A0-1E00-4C21-9438-74D696D14E3D.jpeg
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2636
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12519 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 22nd, 2020, 12:19 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:55 am
LMD Ermitaño wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:53 am
Usual Sunday pica-pica/merienda-cena at home.

740DFFBE-EF7F-4FD2-ACB1-8E0339BF50FA.jpeg

F3957D46-AABD-4596-8FDE-C610A62F8DFB.jpeg
Growing up in South Florida, that was a typical Cuban Sunday watching the Miami Dolphins. Some serious memories right there. Same food!
The Bob Griese version, the Strock-Woodley dark years, the Dan Marino version, or all three?

User avatar
mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 8:48 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12520 Post by mattcitrang » November 22nd, 2020, 12:39 pm

2004 Patricia Green Cellars Yamhill County Notorious Pinot Noir

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24373
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12521 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:19 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:55 am
LMD Ermitaño wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:53 am
Usual Sunday pica-pica/merienda-cena at home.

740DFFBE-EF7F-4FD2-ACB1-8E0339BF50FA.jpeg

F3957D46-AABD-4596-8FDE-C610A62F8DFB.jpeg
Growing up in South Florida, that was a typical Cuban Sunday watching the Miami Dolphins. Some serious memories right there. Same food!
The Bob Griese version, the Strock-Woodley dark years, the Dan Marino version, or all three?
All of the above! And now Tua! And of course, we are losing to a 3-6 Denver. What’s that song about the “Dolphins make me cry.....”?
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

User avatar
Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:41 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12522 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » November 22nd, 2020, 3:50 pm

Ran with Pinot for a few days for the charity thread, had to mix it up today.

PNP of De Negoce Sauv Blanc #16, Good bottle and good value.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1872
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12523 Post by Jim Stewart » November 22nd, 2020, 3:55 pm

2014 Chidaine Les Tuffeaux The last bottle of a few of these. I always feel like I am playing a version of Russian Roulettte PreMox when I open one of these, but we have been lucky. This one was very gentle, nice balance, soft (tendre?) with subtle acid. Easy drinking, delicious or as Jacqueline kept saying "This is so good!"

Informative graphic on the back label
chidaine.jpg
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24373
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12524 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 22nd, 2020, 4:04 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:19 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:55 am


Growing up in South Florida, that was a typical Cuban Sunday watching the Miami Dolphins. Some serious memories right there. Same food!
The Bob Griese version, the Strock-Woodley dark years, the Dan Marino version, or all three?
All of the above! And now Tua! And of course, we are losing to a 3-6 Denver. What’s that song about the “Dolphins make me cry.....”?
Yup. Dolphins make me cry.

And here I thought they were gonna pull it out.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

User avatar
Yao C
Posts: 1043
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 10:53 pm
Location: Portland / San Francisco

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12525 Post by Yao C » November 22nd, 2020, 8:11 pm

1989 Fonsalette Cuvee Syrah
Heavily ullaged (4-5cm) with a brownish crust on the cork and red lines along the side from heat damage; nose shows some initial promise with a light touch of meatiness and fleeting tertiary fruit, but the rather cooked, featureless palate is a letdown; and yet you can't help but appreciate the balance & drinkability of the whole; 24h later the nose is if anything even more forward and interesting, though there's a touch of vinegar to the palate; here's hoping the other three bottles will be better; decent plus
C h 0 o n 6

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8245
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12526 Post by Paul Miller » November 23rd, 2020, 5:14 pm

2019 Tercero, Cinsault Rosé
Great food wine.

User avatar
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 895
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12527 Post by Jeff_M. » November 24th, 2020, 8:38 am

Started the week off with a 16' Outpost HM Zin, 12' Pride Cab Franc & 11' EMH Black Cat. I won't mention the cough syrup that was opened from a 1000ml bottle to start the evening. Toss up between the Pride and Black Cat for WOTN. Both are drinking very well right now.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

User avatar
Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3133
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 7:33 am
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12528 Post by Andrew Demaree » November 24th, 2020, 8:58 am

Had a 2019 Scherrer Dry Rosé last night (the spring/summer release, not the more recent Syrah rosé). Confirmed my impression from a few months ago that this is the best rosé I’ve had in recent memory. Starts with a lovely floral bouquet, sports red cherry & strawberry notes on the palate, along with a perfect amount of acidity, and finishes clean and fresh. Terrific on its own or with food.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2636
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12529 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 24th, 2020, 10:04 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:04 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:19 pm


The Bob Griese version, the Strock-Woodley dark years, the Dan Marino version, or all three?
All of the above! And now Tua! And of course, we are losing to a 3-6 Denver. What’s that song about the “Dolphins make me cry.....”?
Yup. Dolphins make me cry.

And here I thought they were gonna pull it out.
An old friend of mine is your age (‘65er) and a lifelong Dolphin’s fan from metro Miami. You and he sound so much alike. Die hard fan. Perpetually dashed hopes for a long time now.

But it’s worse for me. I’m a Lions fan.

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 837
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12530 Post by dsimmons » November 24th, 2020, 11:00 am

2005 D'Arenberg Dead Arm. Good solid mature Shiraz but not amazing.
D o n

User avatar
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5773
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12531 Post by Bud Carey » November 24th, 2020, 11:07 am

On deck... 2014 Lagier-Meredith syrah.
Budman

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1880
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12532 Post by Steve Gautier » November 24th, 2020, 11:13 am

dsimmons wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 11:00 am
2005 D'Arenberg Dead Arm. Good solid mature Shiraz but not amazing.
I have an ‘06 that I know I should drink soon but it just doesn’t get me excited.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27407
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12533 Post by Corey N. » November 24th, 2020, 11:43 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:19 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:55 am


Growing up in South Florida, that was a typical Cuban Sunday watching the Miami Dolphins. Some serious memories right there. Same food!
The Bob Griese version, the Strock-Woodley dark years, the Dan Marino version, or all three?
All of the above! And now Tua! And of course, we are losing to a 3-6 Denver. What’s that song about the “Dolphins make me cry.....”?
Hootie and the Blowfish. I used to attend home games at the Orange Bowl with my father and Cuban "uncle".



You and me, we come from different worlds
You like to laugh at me when I look at other girls
Sometimes you're crazy and you wonder why
I'm such a baby 'cause the dolphins make me cry
Well there's nothing I can do
I've been looking for a girl like you
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24373
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12534 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 24th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 10:04 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:04 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm


All of the above! And now Tua! And of course, we are losing to a 3-6 Denver. What’s that song about the “Dolphins make me cry.....”?
Yup. Dolphins make me cry.

And here I thought they were gonna pull it out.
An old friend of mine is your age (‘65er) and a lifelong Dolphin’s fan from metro Miami. You and he sound so much alike. Die hard fan. Perpetually dashed hopes for a long time now.

But it’s worse for me. I’m a Lions fan.
And the worst part is, we experienced the moment of eternal glory and legend when I was just a young child, soon followed up by having the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL never to win a Super Bowl!
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2636
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12535 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 24th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 12:38 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 10:04 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:04 pm


Yup. Dolphins make me cry.

And here I thought they were gonna pull it out.
An old friend of mine is your age (‘65er) and a lifelong Dolphin’s fan from metro Miami. You and he sound so much alike. Die hard fan. Perpetually dashed hopes for a long time now.

But it’s worse for me. I’m a Lions fan.
And the worst part is, we experienced the moment of eternal glory and legend when I was just a young child, soon followed up by having the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL never to win a Super Bowl!
Agree.

Unfortunately, two words were his undoing. Joe. Montana.

User avatar
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 895
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12536 Post by Jeff_M. » November 25th, 2020, 9:33 am

Yesterday, 2014 Kosta Browne Russian River, 2016 Rafanelli Zin and a 2006 Neal NV Magnum.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

User avatar
Yao C
Posts: 1043
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 10:53 pm
Location: Portland / San Francisco

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12537 Post by Yao C » November 26th, 2020, 8:40 am

1992 Ridge Monte Bello
(13.5% alcohol, from 375, direct from winery)

Clearly superior to the 1999 tasted 10 days ago though in a much stricter mode, threading the needle between louche and austere; piles of ripe dark fruit with structure to match, robed in a beautifully lush texture; this is disciplined and shows not the slightest impression of sweetness, and yet is dangerously drinkable; amazingly there isn't much tertiary to be had despite the age and the half-bottle format - this has decades left in the tank; what a pity we only had a half bottle; very good plus
C h 0 o n 6

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2636
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12538 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 26th, 2020, 11:29 am

Vilmart Cuvee Rubis the last couple days. 2016 base, October 2018 disgorgement. Nice - starts with orange blossom sense and vinous Pinot notes dominating. The bead is not as fine as it can be. Day 2 brought out more red berry notes, and better integration, but it seems to need some time to settle. I’ll try the last 1/3 with Thanksgiving dinner. And I will hold off on opening another for a few years in favor of older versions of this cuvee.

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 837
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#12539 Post by dsimmons » November 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm

2014 Walter Hansel Winery Pinot Noir The Three Rows - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/26/2020)
Delicious Pinot drank with parchment paper baked silver salmon. Cherry, earth, some cranberry, Great acid balance. Drink or hold. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
D o n

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”