What bottle of wine did you open today?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
jon leifer
Posts: 279
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9851 Post by jon leifer » December 1st, 2018, 7:42 pm

2007 Rafanelli Zin..came as quite a surprise to find a 2007 zin tonight,have never aged one this long, kinda got lost in the cellar amongst some cabs....Actually, I was looking for a Rafanelli cab to go with steak tonight when I found this gem...Drinking in fine form , no need to rush if ya got any
Jon

Chr!s G|@rn3r
Posts: 186
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 1:29 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9852 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » December 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

2010 Pride Merlot. Picked these up on sale from Raeder’s. Drinking very well. Tannins still present and fruit is bright. Recent CT scores were strong and WS rated it an 80?!?! Id go 91 with potential for slight improvement in the next few years.

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7560
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9853 Post by Scott Brunson » December 3rd, 2018, 2:54 am

Image
Drinking well but I have decided that I prefer these younger than this bottle.
Of course the current blend could age longer than these earlier vintages.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2443
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 7:33 am
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9854 Post by Andrew Demaree » December 3rd, 2018, 5:13 am

2010 Castellare di Castellina Chianti Classico Riserva ‘Il Poggiale’

My second one of these. This is now in its drinking window, but remains a darker, bigger boned Chianti than I tend to gravitate towards. Best with a meat dish.
412130A7-798C-449F-A4D3-F67F55C1BC6A.jpeg

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 29815
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9855 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 3rd, 2018, 5:24 am

1986 Spottswoode Cabernet. SWMBO said that it was "balanced" and I guess that is as good a description as any. I felt as though the wine was probably better 5 or even 10 years ago, but it was a lovely drink. It was decidedly old-school Napa. Blind I think I likely would have called it accurately but it you had told me it was, like, an 83 graves I would not have been shocked.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12851
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9856 Post by Jay Miller » December 3rd, 2018, 11:25 am

2004 Clos Rougeard 'Poyeaux' - remarkably delicious, a bit earthier and more subtle than the joyous 2005 opened next to it.
1994 Smith Woodhouse Port - very, very, corked.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Scott E.
Posts: 498
Joined: March 28th, 2013, 11:10 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9857 Post by Scott E. » December 3rd, 2018, 11:59 am

2011 Tensley Colson Canyon Syrah - this is in a great spot right now. Great nose, good complexity, nice savory side.
$.E$te$

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18359
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9858 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 3rd, 2018, 1:11 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 11:25 am
2004 Clos Rougeard 'Poyeaux' - remarkably delicious, a bit earthier and more subtle than the joyous 2005 opened next to it.
1994 Smith Woodhouse Port - very, very, corked.
Interesting, would not have thought that the 2005 is near ready. Thoughts on drinking window?

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 37559
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9859 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 4th, 2018, 8:29 pm

2008 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Meh. I know why I stopped buying CDP years ago. Just don't get it
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Dave McIsaac
Posts: 2774
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Location: Hudson, Ohio

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9860 Post by Dave McIsaac » December 5th, 2018, 5:03 am

2008 Le Cadeau Rocheux PN - lovely bottle!

Rajesh P a r i k h
Posts: 35
Joined: October 23rd, 2018, 10:16 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9861 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » December 5th, 2018, 5:12 am

2001 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta - Happen to see it in the cellar and cellar tracker said it was way past it's window so we opened it up and it was great! Not even sure how we got the bottle or how it was stored, a very nice surprise.

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3044
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9862 Post by RyanC » December 5th, 2018, 6:04 am

2011 Juge Cornas last night. I'm not nearly as much of a Juge fanboi as some, but good grief this bottle was sensational. The nose is explosive and exotic, and the palate is wild, crunchy, and complex. The overall package is pretty elegant. One of the better young N. Rhone bottles in memory.
C@ughey

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18359
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9863 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 5th, 2018, 6:25 am

RyanC wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 6:04 am
2011 Juge Cornas last night. I'm not nearly as much of a Juge fanboi as some, but good grief this bottle was sensational. The nose is explosive and exotic, and the palate is wild, crunchy, and complex. The overall package is pretty elegant. One of the better young N. Rhone bottles in memory.
Yup. I’ve been saying for a while, for classic Northern Rhone, 2011 has been sensational right out of the box, Juge and Gonon in particular. Clape also nailed it with its Cotes du Rhône and Vin de Amis. Faury was fun, too. A very expressive, balanced vintage.

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

J.Vizuete
Posts: 178
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9864 Post by J.Vizuete » December 5th, 2018, 6:47 am

Had a 2015 Jaboulet dom. de Thalabert last night. Very classic presentation - it was dark, with concentrated, sappy black fruit, but so much natural acidity that it felt very light to medium bodied on the palate. Subtle notes of meat and olive that were suggestive but did not overwhelm. Not a hint of confection. It's packages like that which I expect to go a long distance.. maybe best in 10-15 years?
John V.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18359
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9865 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 6:47 am
Had a 2015 Jaboulet dom. de Thalabert last night. Very classic presentation - it was dark, with concentrated, sappy black fruit, but so much natural acidity that it felt very light to medium bodied on the palate. Subtle notes of meat and olive that were suggestive but did not overwhelm. Not a hint of confection. It's packages like that which I expect to go a long distance.. maybe best in 10-15 years?
Thanks for the check-in. I was almost reluctant to buy this wine out of the obvious concern: ripe vintage, big points by the critics. My 6-pack comes in this week, sounds like we should sit on them some.

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18359
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9866 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 5th, 2018, 5:26 pm

And in the category of 96 points of suck:

2016 Fabre Montmayou Cabernet Franc Reserva, Lujan de Cuyo

Yup, a Decanter 96. As a Cab Franc afficionado, and one who drinks nightly so likes nice values, I jumped when I got my local retailer's email selling this on sale for $14 per. It's a big ripe primary gloppy thing. Pass. Also drinking a killer 2009 Raffault Les Picasses, the arechtype of Loire Cab Franc. Not ripe, high acid, a perfectly balanced melange of dry earthy notes and red fruit profile.

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
JeromeHan
Posts: 1030
Joined: May 13th, 2016, 9:47 am
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9867 Post by JeromeHan » December 6th, 2018, 9:46 pm

2006 Pol Roger with the wife to celebrate our anniversary.

Subu Ramachandran
Posts: 531
Joined: May 3rd, 2017, 1:16 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9868 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 6th, 2018, 9:55 pm

2008 Mascarello Monprivato - too young
2015 Chateau Clinet - Ripe modern, great for a napa lover
2004 Lopez de heredia tondonia reserva blanco - one of the greatest white wines of the world
Billecart Salmon Rose NV - fine quaffer

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3257
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9869 Post by Ramon C » December 7th, 2018, 6:10 am

Jay Miller wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 11:25 am
2004 Clos Rougeard 'Poyeaux' - remarkably delicious, a bit earthier and more subtle than the joyous 2005 opened next to it.
1994 Smith Woodhouse Port - very, very, corked.
Had 2008 Rougeard Saumur Champigny pulled from the offsite for drinking in the next week or so. I remember it drank young, but nice, back in February.
@brera

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4292
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9870 Post by Paul Miller » December 7th, 2018, 6:50 am

2016 Kutch, Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast

Just got my Kutch shipment today, and I needed to Pobega a bottle of good wine after so many Aldi wines.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12851
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9871 Post by Jay Miller » December 7th, 2018, 7:08 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 1:11 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 11:25 am
2004 Clos Rougeard 'Poyeaux' - remarkably delicious, a bit earthier and more subtle than the joyous 2005 opened next to it.
1994 Smith Woodhouse Port - very, very, corked.
Interesting, would not have thought that the 2005 is near ready. Thoughts on drinking window?
Now through 2060.

I wouldn't touch a Bourg yet. Those things are never ready.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 29815
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9872 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 7th, 2018, 7:45 am

JeromeHan wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 9:46 pm
2006 Pol Roger with the wife to celebrate our anniversary.
Happy anniversary! How was the wine?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12851
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9873 Post by Jay Miller » December 7th, 2018, 7:59 am

2010 Ridge Geyserville - much better than a 2013 opened 2 weeks ago. I don't know if the 3 years made a difference or they had a lot of new barrels in 2013 but this is more like what I remember Geyserville tasting like. Not shy on the oak certainly but you can also taste the wine.

2007 Prager Klaus Smaragd - gorgeous soaring nose, fine but a little tight on the palate. Give it some more time. Unless you just want to smell it in which case go for it.

2007 Scherrer Platt Vineyard - fine balanced CA pinot. Delicious now, no harm in holding. Made several Scherrer converts at that dinner - of both old world and new world palates.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

YLee
Posts: 188
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9874 Post by YLee » December 7th, 2018, 8:50 am

Soju
-Yong

User avatar
JeromeHan
Posts: 1030
Joined: May 13th, 2016, 9:47 am
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9875 Post by JeromeHan » December 7th, 2018, 10:52 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:45 am
JeromeHan wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 9:46 pm
2006 Pol Roger with the wife to celebrate our anniversary.
Happy anniversary! How was the wine?
Thank you Sir. Wine was delicious. Initially opens up to rich fruit and sweet brioche notes, but with some air, it really drys out and the acidity begins to shine through again.

jon leifer
Posts: 279
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9876 Post by jon leifer » December 7th, 2018, 1:52 pm

2015 Chalk Hill Sauv Blanc..Lovely wine, went well will grilled, marinated chicken ..Regrettably my last bottle of SB(and of Chalk Hill, as well), will need to remedy that
Jon

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 29815
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9877 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 7th, 2018, 2:09 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 10:52 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:45 am
JeromeHan wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 9:46 pm
2006 Pol Roger with the wife to celebrate our anniversary.
Happy anniversary! How was the wine?
Thank you Sir. Wine was delicious. Initially opens up to rich fruit and sweet brioche notes, but with some air, it really drys out and the acidity begins to shine through again.
Sounds like it could use a little time still
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 580
Joined: September 13th, 2010, 2:44 pm
Location: West Haverstraw NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9878 Post by Peter Shurman » December 8th, 2018, 4:42 am

last night
2014 G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba

[cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

User avatar
JeromeHan
Posts: 1030
Joined: May 13th, 2016, 9:47 am
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9879 Post by JeromeHan » December 8th, 2018, 7:57 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Sounds like it could use a little time still
Definitely.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 29815
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9880 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 8th, 2018, 8:28 am

Went to the cellar last night to pull something to drink and a bottle of Vacqueyras . . . appeared, and with it several questions. When did I buy this wine? Why did I buy this wine? Was I drunk when I bought this wine? On whom can I blame this purchase? Most importantly, if I don't pull the cork on this wine now, will I ever?

So I did. I bet Alfert shuddered just a little when I took the first sip; I know I did. This is everything I have grown to dislike about southern rhone wines. It smelled, intensely, of sweet crushed cherries. It tasted, intensely, of sweet crushed cherries, gone to alcohol. And while I like cherries, I have no interest in drinking cherry wine. Bleh, bleh. bleh.

2010 Domaine Saint-Roch Vacqueyras, be gone.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

David Henry
Posts: 266
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 7:56 am
Location: Mequon, Wisconsin

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9881 Post by David Henry » December 9th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Opened a very refreshing and somewhat unique California white blend tonight: 2017 Gros Ventre High Country White. It is 38% sauvignon blanc, 28% chenin blanc, 12% vermentino, 11% picpoul blanc, and 11% fiano.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18359
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9882 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 9th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 8:28 am
Went to the cellar last night to pull something to drink and a bottle of Vacqueyras . . . appeared, and with it several questions. When did I buy this wine? Why did I buy this wine? Was I drunk when I bought this wine? On whom can I blame this purchase? Most importantly, if I don't pull the cork on this wine now, will I ever?

So I did. I bet Alfert shuddered just a little when I took the first sip; I know I did. This is everything I have grown to dislike about southern rhone wines. It smelled, intensely, of sweet crushed cherries. It tasted, intensely, of sweet crushed cherries, gone to alcohol. And while I like cherries, I have no interest in drinking cherry wine. Bleh, bleh. bleh.

2010 Domaine Saint-Roch Vacqueyras, be gone.
Haha, Cambie?!

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 29815
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9883 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 9th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 4:03 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 8:28 am
Went to the cellar last night to pull something to drink and a bottle of Vacqueyras . . . appeared, and with it several questions. When did I buy this wine? Why did I buy this wine? Was I drunk when I bought this wine? On whom can I blame this purchase? Most importantly, if I don't pull the cork on this wine now, will I ever?

So I did. I bet Alfert shuddered just a little when I took the first sip; I know I did. This is everything I have grown to dislike about southern rhone wines. It smelled, intensely, of sweet crushed cherries. It tasted, intensely, of sweet crushed cherries, gone to alcohol. And while I like cherries, I have no interest in drinking cherry wine. Bleh, bleh. bleh.

2010 Domaine Saint-Roch Vacqueyras, be gone.
Haha, Cambie?!
No idea.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18359
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9884 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 9th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Checking in on a good friend:

2009 Chateau Lanessan

Has added some depth and darkness. A really strong vintage for Lanessan.

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 580
Joined: September 13th, 2010, 2:44 pm
Location: West Haverstraw NY

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9885 Post by Peter Shurman » December 9th, 2018, 5:15 pm

last night
2012 Detert Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

[cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 315
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9886 Post by Greg K » December 9th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Opened a 2015 Rollin Sous Fretile and a 1988 Cantemerle for dinner Saturday night. The Rollin is nice though needs some time. The Cantemerle is a great example of old school solid Bordeaux, though I'm guessing it's at the edge of its prime drinking plateau.
Greg Kahn

jon leifer
Posts: 279
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9887 Post by jon leifer » December 10th, 2018, 10:04 am

2013 Nipozzano Chianti Rufina Riserva, from Frescobaldi..well made, polished wine, easy drinking, went well with Bison burgers, wd probably cost more if it came with CC or CCR designation, good QPR
Jon

User avatar
Dave McIsaac
Posts: 2774
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Location: Hudson, Ohio

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9888 Post by Dave McIsaac » December 10th, 2018, 10:55 am

2012 Chester's Anvil Gretna Green

Unfortunately, my last bottle of this and CA

This bottle was sublime, and came on the heels of a Christmas Party at Heinz Field. The party included a tour of the Steelers faciity, and we got to step out onto the field.

A great day!

Subu Ramachandran
Posts: 531
Joined: May 3rd, 2017, 1:16 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9889 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 10th, 2018, 11:04 am

Over the weekend, 2013 Algueira Ribeira Sacra Merenzao. My friend thought it was a Pinot, could fool one to thinking it was a very good burgundy. Impressive!

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6142
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9890 Post by Drew Goin » December 10th, 2018, 12:54 pm

David Henry wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 3:28 pm
Opened a very refreshing and somewhat unique California white blend tonight: 2017 Gros Ventre High Country White. It is 38% sauvignon blanc, 28% chenin blanc, 12% vermentino, 11% picpoul blanc, and 11% fiano.

Thanks for the tasting note, David!! [berserker.gif]


I saw this and the "High Country Red" offered in an email a little while back, and I wasn't able to make the leap. It sounds like my hunch was correct about this being a winner! Congrats!

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6142
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9891 Post by Drew Goin » December 10th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Popped open a bottle of the 2015 Sandlands "Contra Costa" Mataro last night.

Will taste it tonight or tomorrow...

User avatar
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5245
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9892 Post by Bud Carey » December 10th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Just popped a 2013 AP Vin Rosellas pinot. Lots of cherry fruit, and full bodied.
Budman

Vikrant Rachakonda
Posts: 79
Joined: December 18th, 2016, 9:22 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9893 Post by Vikrant Rachakonda » December 10th, 2018, 8:06 pm

2009 Ormes de Pez: dark ruby in the glass with red fruits on nose. Medium weight, with tannins still prominent, definitely opening up more since I last drank this 3 years ago.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 315
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9894 Post by Greg K » December 13th, 2018, 3:31 pm

2013 Cappellano Rupestris and 1998 Cantemerle last night.

The 2013 Cappellano is on one hand too young, but also I wanted to drink it and it's delicious now. The tannins are still too brooding, but a wonderful red fruit nose with some spice. The 1998 Cantemerle is in a good place, and I think will be a bit better in a few years though. Still a good bit of fruit, although it's not an overly big wine. Felt a bit weak on the mid palate, but very solid overall with some nice development.
Greg Kahn

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3257
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9895 Post by Ramon C » December 13th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Patrick Martin was in town. Got together at Sutton Inn, and a fun group of 6 old-school Bordeaux geeks geeked out with:

1983 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne

1998 La Tour Haut Brion
1979 Ch. Haut Bailly
1979 La Tour Haut Brion
1979 Domaine de Chevalier
1978 Domaine de Chevalier
1970 Ch. Pape Clement,
1983 La Mission Haut Brion
1994 Ch. Haut Brion
2001 Ch. Climens

Plus, for those who were up to it, a few rounds of cleansing ales at Jamesons Kitchen and Bar.
@brera

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 315
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9896 Post by Greg K » December 13th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Ramon C wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 3:43 pm
Patrick Martin was in town. Got together at Sutton Inn, and a fun group of 6 old-school Bordeaux geeks geeked out with:

1983 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne

1998 La Tour Haut Brion
1979 Ch. Haut Bailly
1979 La Tour Haut Brion
1979 Domaine de Chevalier
1978 Domaine de Chevalier
1970 Ch. Pape Clement,
1983 La Mission Haut Brion
1994 Ch. Haut Brion
2001 Ch. Climens

Plus, for those who were up to it, a few rounds of cleansing ales at Jamesons Kitchen and Bar
How did the 78/79 DdC and the 83 LMHB show? Thanks!
Greg Kahn

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3257
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9897 Post by Ramon C » December 13th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Greg K wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 3:45 pm
Ramon C wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 3:43 pm
Patrick Martin was in town. Got together at Sutton Inn, and a fun group of 6 old-school Bordeaux geeks geeked out with:

1983 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne

1998 La Tour Haut Brion
1979 Ch. Haut Bailly
1979 La Tour Haut Brion
1979 Domaine de Chevalier
1978 Domaine de Chevalier
1970 Ch. Pape Clement,
1983 La Mission Haut Brion
1994 Ch. Haut Brion
2001 Ch. Climens

Plus, for those who were up to it, a few rounds of cleansing ales at Jamesons Kitchen and Bar
How did the 78/79 DdC and the 83 LMHB show? Thanks!
I didn't take good notes, but from memory, 1978 DdC and 1983 LMHB were very good and excellent, respectively. The 1979 DdC was corked according to the those that poured into their stem wares (I didn't pour).
Last edited by Ramon C on December 13th, 2018, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@brera

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3257
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9898 Post by Ramon C » December 13th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Duplicate. Pls delete.
@brera

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 315
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9899 Post by Greg K » December 13th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Ramon C wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 3:50 pm
Greg K wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 3:45 pm
Ramon C wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 3:43 pm
Patrick Martin was in town. Got together at Sutton Inn, and a fun group of 6 old-school Bordeaux geeks geeked out with:

1983 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne

1998 La Tour Haut Brion
1979 Ch. Haut Bailly
1979 La Tour Haut Brion
1979 Domaine de Chevalier
1978 Domaine de Chevalier
1970 Ch. Pape Clement,
1983 La Mission Haut Brion
1994 Ch. Haut Brion
2001 Ch. Climens

Plus, for those who were up to it, a few rounds of cleansing ales at Jamesons Kitchen and Bar
How did the 78/79 DdC and the 83 LMHB show? Thanks!
I didn't take good notes, but from memory, 1978 DdC and 1983 LMHB were very good and excellent, respectively. The 1979 DdC was corked according to the those that poured into their stem wares (I didn't pour).
Thanks for the report!
Greg Kahn

Subu Ramachandran
Posts: 531
Joined: May 3rd, 2017, 1:16 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What bottle of wine did you open today?

#9900 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 13th, 2018, 5:25 pm

2014 Jobard Meursault En la barre - yum

14 village white burgs are starting to show well!

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”