TN: 2008 Terre di Giurfo Cerasuolo di Vittoria Maskaria

A blend of Nero d’Avola and Frappato. $17 IIRC. Really nice stuff, kind of like a Barbera in weight, but with a flavor profile that I haven’t encountered elsewhere. Is it the Frappato or Sicilian terroir?

• 2008 Terre di Giurfo Cerasuolo di Vittoria Maskaria - Italy, Sicily, Cerasuolo di Vittoria (3/4/2012)
    Something new: had the aroma and flavor of tequila! But definitely not the alcohol or burn, it’s 13.5% I really liked this. There’s a mix a black cherry and tarter red fruits plus an herbal garrigue-like quality. It starts off linear in flavor, then rounds out with time. Structure is there, too. Decent finish. Great value, an honest, well-made wine with character. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Both!

This is a truly wonderful DOCG, I’ve never had a less than interesting bottle.

Is agave part of the Sicilian “garrigue?” If so, this would be some extreme terroir expression.

I’m starting to really like Italian wines much more than those of any other country. Of course, Camuto’s “Palmento” has me on a Sicily investigation. But I’m also trying to taste more Aglianicos and non-B Nebbiolos. I have a Valtellina lined up and will be just outside in the Valtellina valley in two weeks.

My LWS proprietor talked me into a bottle of this from 2013. I liked it quite a bit. Probably was my first Sicilian wine.