TN: 2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Bacon Fat "One Barrel" Kimberly's

• 2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Bacon Fat “One Barrel” Kimberly’s - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (6/25/2009)
    This pours dark crimson. The nose is huge! Brambly sage, blackberries, smoke, and bacon. It’s a medium to full bodied wine that is very expressive. Big nose of smoked meat, spices, mocha and bacon. The name is soo fitting. We all really enjoyed this and it showed really well. Glad I have a few more. This will likely age pretty well too, as my last sip was better than the first. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Great note…I can’t wait to dig into one of these!

Looks like the Cabots rock it with this one!

Good note Mark! I plan to dive into my second (of three) tonight.

John said it was ready to go, and it was. We brought it to a BBQ at my favorite local restaurant and it matched up great to the ribs and grilled hanger steaks.

Mark, did you have it decanted at the restaurant, or just pop and pour? Haven’t opened a bottle yet and just wondering if it needs any air time. Thanks.

Pop and pour, it was ready to go right out of the chute.

The best part; not only is it great wine, it’s a berserkers exclusive. mmm… bacon!

I believe I introduced this bottle to the forum, and even named it. I know the CellarTracker name is courtesy of me, so I’m taking full credit.

I’ve had two bottles of this wine, and I think it needs a huge amount of air. Melissa, if I recall, also felt the same, and I think she and Steve had theirs open for more than a day before it was ready for business. Pop and pour? Wow.

1 Like

[beatoff.gif]

ahhh yeah
[diablo.gif]

Well, the CellarTracker! photo is mine! So Nyah, Nyah, Nyah.

Mark; Nice note…I opened my first bottle (pop and pour) and while enjoyable, I found the “bacon fat” flavors much more pronounced the second day.
I think I will keep my remaining bottles for a bit.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Don’t mess with these Todd guys … [wow.gif]

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The Bacon Fat is certainly the most accessible of the 06 Syrah’s at this point, though to me, the red fruit flavors really come out on day two. I just racked the 08 barrels from this section of Kimberly’s vineyard yesterday, and it is very consistant with the 06. It is an earlier ripening section and displys more red fruits and cracked black pepper, as opposed to the latter ripening areas with thier boysen/blue fruit profile, with more of what I think as white pepper components. This is fascinating to me. I’m curious if others see this kind of pattern in thier syrah vineyards.
Enjoy, [cheers.gif]
John

John,
I have a little bit left over and will finish it tonight. I’d love to see a little more red fruit mixed in with the other flavors I found.

Post of the year. [rofl.gif]

Ashley and I opened one of these this evening to see what all the fuss is about …

… some good stuff!

NOSE: primary aromas of campfire smokiness and spicy meat rub … capicola; blackberry and a hints of anise and mollasses in the background; incredibly deep florals – petals that are maybe a day or two from going bad; a bit alcoholic.

BODY: dark magenta color of medium-deep depth; medium bodied; some fine particulate matter

TASTE: smoky campfire; great balance … tannins build from the finish, good acidity and well-embedded minerality; plum; full palate; tannins do assert on the finish (40 sec.); almost seems French, but without the funk … earth-dominated flavor profile; not hot; acid and tannin hold strong with time in the glass; seems pleasantly open for drinking right now.

B: 50, 5, 12, 18, 8 = 93
A: 50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = 90 ]

1 Like

Just popped and poured a glass of the one barrel

Can you say BACON!!!

really nice. thanks for bottling this on it’s own.

She’s good. Very good indeed!

Thanks guys,
We have our own bottling equipment so micro bottlings are no problem. It’s fun! I like having lots of diversity to drink for myself.

NOSE: smoky - smoked meat; deep florals - rose petals; black pepper.

BODY: lots of sediment present; black-magenta color of great depth; medium-full bodied. Composite cork soaked about half-way up.

TASTE: smoky beef jerky; juicy - good acidity; hint of leather; more purple-fruited than red-fruited; tannins are drying on the gums; well-balanced; 15.3% alc. not noticeable. Very nice; progressing nicely; only the closure makes me hesitate to age my lone remaining bottle another 4 or 5 years.