First 2006 Bordeaux sighting at Costco

I expected to see them ‘in store’ first but this popped up today:

Chateau Quinault L’Enclos - $39.99/bottle
http://tinyurl.com/nc6fkq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not anywhere near what I would consider a deal. I only hope this is not a sign of what is to come.

I heard some speculation that they bought deep on the vintage. If so, I’d expect a redux of those ridiculous dump deals they had online.

Thats what Dan Posner mentioned in another thread. I’ll get the full scoop in a few weeks in terms of available volume and the like at certain stores.

It will be interesting to see what some of the prices come out as. I’ve seen no other bottles locally (SF Bay Area). There are still some good wines cycling through the stores out here but the high end '05 inventory has yet to move off the shelves.

I truly expect that shrewd buyers like our wonderful Max the Strat and Dan the Bash will get better deals than Costco will initially offer. To wait for price reductions from Costco comes at the risk of wines sitting in less than optimal conditions in stores or warehouses for many months.
I bought ridiculous amounts of the 2000 and 2003 Bords from Costco on the first day delivered to my local warehouse. Those days are sadly in the past.

I haven’t seen anything at my local store yet and they still have a bunch of Pichon Baron and Lalande as well as some Montrose, Mouton and Palmer, all from 05. They also haven’t cut the prices on them to match the online price yet either. [dash1.gif]

I had an interesting discussion with Alpana Singh Monday (I did a taping of a local show called “Check, Please!” and she is the host). Before we started, we were chatting, and I was mentioning the 06 GJE tasting in Bordeaux…was telling her about some of the top left bank wines we tasted, etc. Her only comment? “Yeh, but what’s the pricing like?”

Truer words were never spoken.

Wilfred - given your recent tasting, is there a vintage you would compare the 06’s to at this point? Very much looking forward to your recap as well (not sure if you posted the follow up notes yet).

Good point Jack, but I think people fail to realise that the only way to get proven provenance is really a local distributor’s futures order. It goes from the truck to their warehouse to your car to your cellar. I’ve bought pre-arrival and post release from stores andw ould posit that the provenance would be comperable to Costco’s, perhaps slightly better due to knowledge and experience of handling etc…

Wilfred-

Thread drift. Love that show (and Alpana). Now you and Mr. Obama have something in common. What restaurant did you suggest? What’s the air date?

Greg

An OK deal…assuming its a magnum. [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]