"Breuil Me" Dude. TNs: 2009 and 2010 Chidaine Clos du Breuil

Frigging Chidaine, the stuff kicks ass and Scottie at Envoyer tells me today that the CLos Habert cuvee is even better than this one below. No matter, by the time Greg brings through all the 2010s, I’ll have 3 cases of mixed Chidaine in my cellar, no doubt. As I said in a different post a few days ago when I refreshed the 2009 thread I had done a few months back, for all the hyperbole and cost associated to Puligny and such, at this stage in my french journey, these Chidaine Chenins just really get me smiling. By the way, the 2010 is 22 bucks. SNAP!

• 2010 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos du Breuil - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (2/17/2012)
    Having just finished the 2009 this week, I just picked up these 2010s this afternoon so hell, why not keep going with the new vintage while the previous one is fresh in my mind. The 2010 seems to be deeper in mineral, more wet stone than the 2009. The green apple is also here, less nectarine as compared to the 2009. This one also carries with it a mandarin orange note, which exhibits itself with the acidity. In total, the 2010 seems to be more lasered in and with that, the 2010 is better. Granted, this note is written with about 20 mins of air but with Chidaine, it’s pretty damn easy to just plow through their bottles, this one no exception. Should the wine evolve further, I’ll update the note. All that aside, Chidaine Breuil kicks ass again.
  • 2009 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos du Breuil - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (2/15/2012)
    Another bottle bites the dust. Opened on Valentine’s evening with the Dr Mrs. This is a great again. Nectarine, tart apple, light shading of pear and lots of cut through the lime flavored acidity. I’ve rarely passed on any Chidaine offered by Envoyer and I intend to keep adding all the cuvees to my cellar. This Breuil is excellent, and between this and some go to Chablis from Louis Michel. I’m perfectly happy putting these 20-30 buck wines in my cellar and really not missing all the 3 digit white burg targets. Chidaine is a genius. Happy to have got the offer and bought in on the 2010 this week, as well!

Posted from CellarTracker

Mmmmm, Chidaine! I did not buy 2009, but I am looking forward to 2010 in the hope that they will have focus and acidity similar to the 2008s. How would you compare the three vintages based on what you have tasted?

I skipped the 09’ vintage also, but grabbed a case of the 10’ Breuil, glad to hear it rocks! The 08’ Chidaines across the board may be my favorite white wines by any producer in any vintage. Fun notes Frank.

Yep! After tasting a bunch of 08, 09 and 10s at the tasting room in Montlouis, I’ve been stocking up on 10s already. Killer, go-to house wines every time :slight_smile:

So I was working late last night and my wife called. She’s planning to pan fry some cod and needs a white to go with it. Head down to the cellar, I say distractedly, shelf on the left, look for the Clos des Briords. Of course, the Chidaine is on the same shelf, and she ends up opening a bottle of Clos du Breuil 09 instead.

Just had a glass–lovely combination of weightlessness and density.

Elliot

Brad, too soon for me to tell between the vintages, make a comment I could have with conviction. That aside, I’d say this. I found I liked the 08 better than the 09, given the Le Bouchet cuvee as an example. The 08 was brighter, perceived to be less sweet, although this is quibbling as the wines are not sweet to me, per se, but the bit of RS and how it expresses itself is more pronounced in the 09 than the 08. The 08 I drank several of, still have a few, and that wine gets people talking every time, regardless of their tasting experience and personal likings–it talks to people. Making this more challenging is that Envoyer didn’t go that deep (my assessment) into the 09s, and therefore I didn’t get the bottle time with those. I guess going linear the other way, taking the Clos du Breuil cuvee, the 09 against the 10, the 10 beats it as I said above. So looking at it this way, in this limited data, I would stack 2009 in third and let’s see how 08 vs 10 looks. Perhaps the Choisilles cuvee will cycle in, along with Tuffeaux, and I can compare those to my 08 notes.

Elliot, cool post. Funny aside, when I sat down to dinner last night, I asked my wife, “what’s in your glass”. She tells me the wine we drank last night. Duh, it was the leftove 09 Breuil. I was able to try the 09 alongside the 10. If you like the 09, I’d be geeked to see what the 10 says to you.

You will be very pleased with the 2010 vintage. 2009 was riper and fatter, 10 is much like 08, maybe better.

Music to my ears. Thanks.

I am already well stocked on 2010 Huet, will be picking up plenty of 2010 Chidaine as weekly drinkers as they are available. Like them all, but my favorites are the Choisilles and Bournais

$22 bucks for all this joy, right? [cheers.gif]

Vouvray and in particular Huet and Chidaine, have almost single handedly eliminated the need for me to ever waste my hard earned dollars on domestic whites again. Seriously, why would you when you can snag these Loire treasure for just a few George W’s north of an Andy Jackson?

Thanks for the notes Frank, I’ll go roll up a couple of packs of quarters and grab one of these soon.

I actually have a couple of bottles of the 08 in the basement that I haven’t tried yet, but suspect I will prefer. While I really like the Chidaine wines I’ve had, a few of them have been just a bit soft for my taste–including (at risk of disqualifying myself from being taken seriously) the 08 Habert. Great stuff, but to me, could use just a bit more cut. I was actually positively surprised by the 09 Breuil in this regard, to be honest.

Elliot

This post needed a seven year update.
2010 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos du Breuil - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (5/14/2019)
A nice bottle with chicken tikka masala. Citrus, quince paste and lanolin. While the texture and fruit made the initial attack seem sweet, this was quite dry, and bracingly acidic. The best sub-$18 imaginable.

Cheers,
Warren

Sounds wonderful! Of the few Chidaine crus I’ve had, this has been my favorite.

I like Vouvray or Montlouis with Indian Curries. Good match.

Warren, it is against forum rules to bring up old threads. Shame on you. [wink.gif] I do have one 2010 Breuil left, along with a mag of 2008 Breuil that I am hoping hangs in there. I picked it up from Winebid 2 years ago for $60. Hoping, hoping…

I am having chicken tikka masala tonight. I pulled a 2010 Huet Le Mont Sec and if that is poop, then I have a 2015 Chidaine Choisilles that should be fine. The wines are indeed a good match for Indian.