2003 Pegau Reservee

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jerry Hey

2003 Pegau Reservee

#1 Post by Jerry Hey » February 11th, 2012, 8:44 pm

I guess I'm just a Burgundy guy. This is good but a little too ripe for me and a 99 RMP pointer?? no way....
There is plenty of depth to the wine; the CdP characteristics are all there, but it just doesn't sing to me like I was hoping for. I think I liked the 2001 from a couple weeks ago better - just not so much of everything going on it that one. And a few of the other CdP that I have been trying lately have also left me a little puzzled. Maybe I liked them younger with a little more fruit?? The '98's I have had recently have not been showing well for me, either.

Give me a Burg anytime....

David Walker

Re: 2003 Pegau Reservee

#2 Post by David Walker » February 12th, 2012, 7:33 am

I actually considered the 03 last night but opted for the 01 instead. Really enjoyed it - even more so than the SQN Pictures I had on Friday.

Sorry the 03 didn't deliver for you, Jerry. I'm a big fan of the wine, albeit a different style than other vintages for sure.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 12th, 2012, 7:44 am

I agree, Jerry. It is no secret that RMP's taste in CdP in particular leans to the very ripe, heady "knock-out" wines, and more and more I find them mono-dimensional and tiring. I still find his notes useful, but they require far more extrapolation and interpretation than they used to for me.

The 2003 Pegau and similar wines still have a purpose in my cellar, as they are almost universally loved by non-geek friends and sometimes become a gateway drug to wine appreciation more generally, and for a summer bbq they can carry the freight. But for a night alone w/my wife here at home I can't say I ever really think of opening one.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

David Walker

#4 Post by David Walker » February 12th, 2012, 8:29 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:I agree, Jerry. It is no secret that RMP's taste in CdP in particular leans to the very ripe, heady "knock-out" wines, and more and more I find them mono-dimensional and tiring. I still find his notes useful, but they require far more extrapolation and interpretation than they used to for me.

The 2003 Pegau and similar wines still have a purpose in my cellar, as they are almost universally loved by non-geek friends and sometimes become a gateway drug to wine appreciation more generally, and for a summer bbq they can carry the freight. But for a night alone w/my wife here at home I can't say I ever really think of opening one.
Happy to take any unwanted 03s off your hands, Neal.

Thomas K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Thomas K. » February 12th, 2012, 9:25 am

David Walker wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:I agree, Jerry. It is no secret that RMP's taste in CdP in particular leans to the very ripe, heady "knock-out" wines, and more and more I find them mono-dimensional and tiring. I still find his notes useful, but they require far more extrapolation and interpretation than they used to for me.

Happy to take any unwanted 03s off your hands, Neal.
Likewise. And I'm local. flirtysmile
T. K r @ m 3 r

Carl Steefel

#6 Post by Carl Steefel » February 12th, 2012, 5:48 pm

Jerry Hey wrote:I guess I'm just a Burgundy guy. This is good but a little too ripe for me and a 99 RMP pointer?? no way....
There is plenty of depth to the wine; the CdP characteristics are all there, but it just doesn't sing to me like I was hoping for. I think I liked the 2001 from a couple weeks ago better - just not so much of everything going on it that one. And a few of the other CdP that I have been trying lately have also left me a little puzzled. Maybe I liked them younger with a little more fruit?? The '98's I have had recently have not been showing well for me, either.

Give me a Burg anytime....
I had mixed feelings about this one last time I had it. First taste and I am thinking this was just too ripe for me. But I have to say, with time in the glass the complexity really emerged on this wine, so while it was still quite ripe, it was showing on a lot off different levels. Still did not prevent me from flipping 6 of them to pay for some Burgs I bought.

Gerhard P.

#7 Post by Gerhard P. » February 12th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Jerry Hey wrote:I guess I'm just a Burgundy guy.
but it just doesn't sing to me like I was hoping for.
Always the same ...
drinking wines far too early ... and being puzzled that it "doesn´t sing ..." deadhorse

Try the 1981 or 1985 Pegau instead! [highfive.gif]

You are a Burg guy?
Taste Bonnes Mares/Mugnier 2003 .... is it singing right now?

[scratch.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Jerry Hey

#8 Post by Jerry Hey » February 13th, 2012, 8:17 am

Gerhard

I have had plenty of young Burgundies and Bordeaux that I preferred to the 03 Pegau. Last night's '99 Pavie was velvety, chocolate, cherries, and much to my liking. And as I said I liked the 01 Pegau, and have had the 2000 de Capo three times over the last few years and really liked that, so it is not just the age of the 03 that doesn't sing for me.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 13th, 2012, 8:36 am

The 99 Pavie is a lovely wine, I agree.

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#10 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » February 13th, 2012, 8:58 am

I'm with Jerry. Although people who's palates I trust have had some excellent examples, I have never encountered an 03 Pegau that I've preferred to say the 01 or 04.

Just personal preference and easy on the wallet for our camp.

G. Greenbaum

#11 Post by G. Greenbaum » February 13th, 2012, 9:25 am

I'm convinced there is either bottle variation or more likely, shipping issues resulting in heat exposure. It is easy to write off '03 wines that taste heat damaged when it is possible the damage was a result of shipping issues. I have had this wine half a dozen times, most recently last night. The majority of the bottles I have tried have tasted aweful (roasted, pruney, VA, etc). Last nights bottle was tight, tannic and very young, but showed no evidence of heat issues (vintage or damage).
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Daniel McIntosh

#12 Post by Daniel McIntosh » February 13th, 2012, 11:11 am

I've had only good examples of 03 Pegau, Mon Aieul, and Vatican 16. I didn't buy alot. The one disappointment was huge: Clos Des Papes.

Matt Neel

#13 Post by Matt Neel » February 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm

I didn't care at all for the '03 a couple of weeks ago. It was hot and hard, a stone golem at an entmoot. Especially among some nice Burgundies, with their in-the-family similar profiles, it didn't fare well. Maybe at a port tasting it would do better...
It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves[.] -- Thomas Paine

Andy Lim

#14 Post by Andy Lim » February 13th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Hi All,

I have a bottle of '06 Pegau. When do you think I should crack it open?
I've been wanting to try it, but with a bottle only, it does make thing difficult. As for '07, I've few of them, should I crack the '07 instead?

Cheers
Andy

ybarselah

#15 Post by ybarselah » February 14th, 2012, 6:34 am

the 2003 pegau is about 15.5% alcohol and has tons of brett. i had a bottle tested on release back in the day when Parker was going nuts about the 2003s.

results as follows (i'm told the brett level is 2.5x sensory threshold).

4-EP at 1251 ppb
4-EG at 139 ppb

i suppose the brett issue is variable since it could be lower/higher depending on how the wine was handled.

i've had the wine several times and it can seem stealthily balanced - but after 2 glasses, you really feel the alcohol. i don't like this feeling. there's no sense of energy or refreshment in the wine. it is no doubt very concentrated and intense and i will not pretend to predict how it will age/evolve. i have kept a few for scientific purposes, including Capo which i purchased at the domaine.
Yaacov (ITB)

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#16 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » February 14th, 2012, 6:40 am

Andy - I'd wait on both vintages.

Daniel McIntosh

#17 Post by Daniel McIntosh » February 14th, 2012, 6:44 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:Andy - I'd wait on both vintages.
Trudat.

Trip B.

#18 Post by Trip B. » February 14th, 2012, 7:33 am

I opened one of these on Friday night. It's like drinking a huge oak stave that a stallion chewed up and shat out. Terrible, terrible wine. But that's just my opinion, as I know others have enjoyed this.

Gerhard P.

#19 Post by Gerhard P. » February 14th, 2012, 7:37 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:I'm convinced there is either bottle variation or more likely, shipping issues resulting in heat exposure. It is easy to write off '03 wines that taste heat damaged when it is possible the damage was a result of shipping issues. I have had this wine half a dozen times, most recently last night. The majority of the bottles I have tried have tasted aweful (roasted, pruney, VA, etc). Last nights bottle was tight, tannic and very young, but showed no evidence of heat issues (vintage or damage).
I´m reading this board (and before that the other one) for years now ... quite often there are TN about wines that simply are showing completely different from my cellar.

I have no idea what happens on the way across the Atlantic (or even earlier from a winery to the port), or from the US-port to the retailer ... but I´d be very careful to draw definite conclusions from a bottle tasted states-side to bottles tasted in Europe ...

Just my 0.02
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

ybarselah

#20 Post by ybarselah » February 14th, 2012, 8:13 am

i've always found variability in Pegau wines (my experience is limited to 1998 - 2005 in "size") - not sure if it's shipping, the brett, how they bottle, etc.

true on both sides of the "pond"
Yaacov (ITB)

G. Greenbaum

#21 Post by G. Greenbaum » February 14th, 2012, 8:14 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
G. Greenbaum wrote:I'm convinced there is either bottle variation or more likely, shipping issues resulting in heat exposure. It is easy to write off '03 wines that taste heat damaged when it is possible the damage was a result of shipping issues. I have had this wine half a dozen times, most recently last night. The majority of the bottles I have tried have tasted aweful (roasted, pruney, VA, etc). Last nights bottle was tight, tannic and very young, but showed no evidence of heat issues (vintage or damage).
I´m reading this board (and before that the other one) for years now ... quite often there are TN about wines that simply are showing completely different from my cellar.

I have no idea what happens on the way across the Atlantic (or even earlier from a winery to the port), or from the US-port to the retailer ... but I´d be very careful to draw definite conclusions from a bottle tasted states-side to bottles tasted in Europe ...

Just my 0.02
I have tasted both imported and European bottles. I forgot to check the label on the most recent bottle, but I believe it was an imported bottle. In any case, Yaacov articulated better than I. 2003 is just not for me. I'm excited to get my stash of '08 as I suspect I will enjoy that vintage more. I began to purchase with '98 vintage. FWIW, '99 is my favorite vintage followed closely by '01. I suspect with more bottle age, '01 could become my favorite vinatge.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

ybarselah

#22 Post by ybarselah » February 14th, 2012, 8:26 am

i tend to agree re: vintages. 2001 holds the most promise, but the variability among bottles is frustrating. other domaines are much more consistent. but clean bottles of the 2001 should be epic.
Yaacov (ITB)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 14th, 2012, 8:32 am

ybarselah wrote:the variability among bottles is frustrating
Oh goodie, one of my favorite horses to ride! I have stopped buying Pegau because of the bottle variation and the apparent lack of interest shown by the producer in addressing it.

Jeff Leve

#24 Post by Jeff Leve » February 14th, 2012, 8:52 am

Jerry... I would not think this wine is for you. But I love it! 2003 Pegau remains my favorite vintage of this producer. I do not find it overripe. It's powerful, lush and frankly, delicious.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by larry schaffer » February 14th, 2012, 8:55 am

I've had this wine on 5 or 6 occasions, and 'bottle variation' is an understatement. The first bottle I had, shared with a half-dozen other winemakers during a post-harvest party, was so brett infested that many of them took one sip and that was it. It was this bottle that I went 'toe to toe' with RMP about back on ebob, for he had never experienced this profile from this wine. Other bottles I've had have been 'better', but, to me, not wonderful wines a la somne of their earlier vintages.

Bottom line - when a producer bottles wines unfiltered with a small amount of RS and brett, and then the wine is shipped a considerable distance with the possibility of it getting warm, there is ALWAys a huge chance that you will see bottle variation - not due to 'heat issue', but due to microbial ones.

Cheers . . .
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Gerhard P.

#26 Post by Gerhard P. » February 14th, 2012, 9:55 am

Almost no bottle variation here with Pegau.

My Pegau vertical some years ago was one of the most consistent and most pleasureful of all tastings - and there were a lot.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Daniel McIntosh

#27 Post by Daniel McIntosh » February 14th, 2012, 11:04 am

From 2001 through 2007, excepting 2002, I've had between 3 and 6 bottles from each vintage (infanticide, yes I know) including 6 2003s, from Provence to Minnesota, and have had exactly one bad bottle of Pegau (2001) and it was corked. Some have been a wee bit horsey but only in an interesting way. None have been anywhere near the shit circus that was the 1990 Montrose I used to own. The 08 Pegau has a little barnyard in it. Very nice.

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Frank Drew » February 14th, 2012, 12:46 pm

A '99 I had recently was brettier than I like; I've found that some brett in Beaucastel seems less intrusive than brett in Pegau.

Dave Grudzinski

#29 Post by Dave Grudzinski » February 14th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Daniel McIntosh wrote:From 2001 through 2007, excepting 2002, I've had between 3 and 6 bottles from each vintage (infanticide, yes I know) including 6 2003s, from Provence to Minnesota, and have had exactly one bad bottle of Pegau (2001) and it was corked. Some have been a wee bit horsey but only in an interesting way. None have been anywhere near the shit circus that was the 1990 Montrose I used to own. The 08 Pegau has a little barnyard in it. Very nice.

I have to agree, I've also had lots of Pegau from 1998-2008, and I can remember only 1 or 2 off bottles.
I also had one corked bottle, a 1998 cuvee Laurence that I bought at the Pegau cave in Chateauneuf. [cry.gif]

ybarselah

#30 Post by ybarselah » February 16th, 2012, 11:28 am

Yaacov (ITB)

Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Doug Lee » February 16th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Bought a lot of the 2000 and 2001 vintages of Pegau Reservee and have mainly been consuming them rather than other vintages for some reason (even the 1998, which really hasn't been that open, for me at least). I've not found the 2000 to be anything other than terrific since release.

The 1998 Laurence has been extremely impressive also.

Maybe one bad bottle in the whole bunch thus far. I like Pegau in spite of (because of?) the brett.

Haven't tried the 2003 yet but this discussion has certainly made me curious...

Cheers,
Doug

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Eric LeVine » February 16th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Ripping through a 2003 tonight. Very sweet upon opening. A few hours later is is settling down. Very savory and laden with garrigue. Painfully young. Incredibly enjoyable and promising. Laurence plays aggressively with brett so clearly not a wine for everyone. More for me then...
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Eric Adams

2003 Pegau Reservee

#33 Post by Eric Adams » February 16th, 2012, 10:04 pm

I have a couple of bottles due to be opened in 10 years or so.

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Eric LeVine » February 16th, 2012, 10:09 pm

Eric, that sounds about right. I started with 2.5 cases, so I am pretty aggressive about opening them when I'm in the mood.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by K John Joseph » February 16th, 2012, 11:07 pm

I take it I'm in the minority in thinking that CDP is best had in the first 15 years of life? I've found that many bottles age similar to Napa cabs. Big and rich when young. Then, near the 10 year mark they start to balance huge fruit with garrigue, game, and leather, and then with an additional ten years, the pretty fruit fades out and you get a husk more heavily laden with secondary and tertiary notes, brett aside, with a tendency for iron and iodine notes to creep in and overpower the remaining sweet grenache fruit.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Eric LeVine » February 16th, 2012, 11:11 pm

Depends upon the CDP. I have had plenty of Beau at age 25+ and plenty of Pegau at age 15-20 (plus 1990 Clos des Papes and 1990 Les Cailloux) to realize that some examples age really gloriously. That said, CDP is great for babykilling too!
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Sean Moore

#37 Post by Sean Moore » February 17th, 2012, 11:19 am

I certainly don't have Eric's experience with aged CdP, but I've had 3 bottles of the 1990 Pegau over the last year and 2 were among the finest bottles I've ever had (with the 3rd not far off). But I also love CdP for early, lipsmacking consumption when it's full of primary fruit.

David Welch

#38 Post by David Welch » February 17th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I have had the 03 Pegau a few times recently. All of the bottles have really good, some have shown more lush fruit, some had more obvious brett. I happen to really like brett unless it just overwhelms the wine, that has not been the case with what I have seen from this producer. I like CdP young, just haven't seen many good aged ones I guess.
Cheers to all y'all
aka GalvezGuy

David Walker

#39 Post by David Walker » February 20th, 2012, 9:18 am

Based partially on this thread, I opened another bottle of this last night. In a word - awful. I've had this wine a countless number of times and each time have loved it. This bottle was so riddled with brett it was ridiculous. Nose of raw sewage. Just terrible. Really hoping my remaining bottles show better than this.

I am not overly sensitive to brett at all. I actually enjoy it to a certain extent but this was just over the top.

Carl Steefel

#40 Post by Carl Steefel » February 20th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Eric Adams wrote:I have a couple of bottles due to be opened in 10 years or so.
It may well be best in 10 years, but it is drinking well now in its own style. As several have mentioned, this is on the extreme of ripeness, and probably beyond the pale for quite a few people. But the wine was cleverly acidified by Laurence, which helps to bring out the wine's energy and extraordinary richness. Last night, I had another bottle that showed extremely well--certainly very very ripe, but also very focused and intense on the palate--like looking into the sun. Flavors of garrigue and licorice, this is clearly classic Grenache, even if the vintage is on the freakish side.

Eric Adams

2003 Pegau Reservee

#41 Post by Eric Adams » February 20th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Carl your twisting my arm : )

Joe Abruzzo

#42 Post by Joe Abruzzo » April 2nd, 2012, 10:22 am

Opened one of the few I have after reading so many glorious reviews and figured I should try one on the young side. This bottle was not up to snuff. No VA, brett, or signs of heat damage (I've had this in my cellar since release). While it seemed there was something lurking underneath, there was no lushness or density of fruit. The finish was extremely short. No TCA was detected, so either this bottle was shut down or it was corked to a low degree resulting in a subdued character. I had extremely high hopes and was largely disappointed. Hoping the remaining bottles I have are much better. This was a Premier Cru (grey market import).

Carl Steefel

#43 Post by Carl Steefel » April 2nd, 2012, 10:32 am

Joe,

Your bottle sounds corked to me...

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Dan Kravitz » April 11th, 2012, 3:05 pm

commercial post: I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

personal note: I'm probably going to ramble a bit here.

Pegau has brett. If not properly handled, it can 'bloom' and result in too much brett. It is always important to keep wine cool, but it's more important with Pegau than with most other wines. We ship temp controlled and warehouse temp controlled. I basically won't let my customers pick up in warm weather unless they're sending a refrigerated truck. After that, it's sadly out of my hands.

I like but don't love the 2003 vintage. Like many on this thread, I tend to prefer the 'under the radar' vintages. I generally like Pegau best at 10+ years. I've had bottles as old as 40, carried straight up from the cellar and popped. Every one of the really old ones (really old by CdP standards) was a glory, but I can't recommend that you try this at home. For wines that have been shipped, I think 30 is probably pushing it. I'm in no hurry on my last few bottles of '85 but they'll be back to the water table within 5 years.

My favorite recent vintages have been 2004, 1999 and 1994. I think 2001 is potentially very great, but an anomaly in that it's somewhat closed at 10 years of age. 1998 is a treasure right now, and for a more delicate vintage so is 2000 (I don't think 2000 will make old bones, IMO it's ready to go even with best provenance). 1998 is a frankly light vintage, but really tasty. If you insist on opening Pegau when there is Burgundy on the table, this would be a good one. IMO opening 2003 Pegau when Burgundy is also being poured is just asking for trouble.

1995 and 2005 were vintages that I thought would be really good, but never developed as I hoped. However my last few 1995s were the best I've had, so don't write it off. It's still pretty young IMO.

2006 is lovely right now but I think will be better in 5 years, which should be about peak. 2007 is built to last. 2009 is big and lush, will probably never shut down and push my 30 year limit for this side of the pond. 2010 is massive massive massive and also really big. I'm thinking it will demand bottle age.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » April 11th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Dan Kravitz wrote:commercial post: I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

personal note: I'm probably going to ramble a bit here.

Pegau has brett. If not properly handled, it can 'bloom' and result in too much brett. It is always important to keep wine cool, but it's more important with Pegau than with most other wines. We ship temp controlled and warehouse temp controlled. I basically won't let my customers pick up in warm weather unless they're sending a refrigerated truck. After that, it's sadly out of my hands.

I like but don't love the 2003 vintage. Like many on this thread, I tend to prefer the 'under the radar' vintages. I generally like Pegau best at 10+ years. I've had bottles as old as 40, carried straight up from the cellar and popped. Every one of the really old ones (really old by CdP standards) was a glory, but I can't recommend that you try this at home. For wines that have been shipped, I think 30 is probably pushing it. I'm in no hurry on my last few bottles of '85 but they'll be back to the water table within 5 years.

My favorite recent vintages have been 2004, 1999 and 1994. I think 2001 is potentially very great, but an anomaly in that it's somewhat closed at 10 years of age. 1998 is a treasure right now, and for a more delicate vintage so is 2000 (I don't think 2000 will make old bones, IMO it's ready to go even with best provenance). 1998 is a frankly light vintage, but really tasty. If you insist on opening Pegau when there is Burgundy on the table, this would be a good one. IMO opening 2003 Pegau when Burgundy is also being poured is just asking for trouble.

1995 and 2005 were vintages that I thought would be really good, but never developed as I hoped. However my last few 1995s were the best I've had, so don't write it off. It's still pretty young IMO.

2006 is lovely right now but I think will be better in 5 years, which should be about peak. 2007 is built to last. 2009 is big and lush, will probably never shut down and push my 30 year limit for this side of the pond. 2010 is massive massive massive and also really big. I'm thinking it will demand bottle age.

Dan Kravitz
Cap'n Dan, what about 2008?
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

Mel Hill

#46 Post by Mel Hill » April 11th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Like these but too much Brett for my dinner companion so I'm no longer a buyer

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Dan Kravitz » April 12th, 2012, 5:11 am

As for 2008, it was a typo on my part to write "1998 is a frankly light vintage, but really tasty. If you insist on opening Pegau when there is Burgundy on the table, this would be a good one." I mean to write 2008. 1998 is a BIG vintage that IMO is drinking beautifully right now but will improve for at least 5 years (assuming good provenance and storage).

2008 is a delicate beauty that will probably peak at 8 - 10 years. I would not hold it past 15, but balance is important and this has it. Laurence will be here in a few weeks and as part of a tasting we'll be opening '97, not considered much of a vintage. Laurence is sending it, so I now assume it's going to be terrific (or she wouldn't bother). '08 is reasonably priced (by Chateauneuf and Pegau standards) and should be enjoyable every day of its life; it's not the kind of vintage that will shut down.

Dan Kravitz

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Jonathan Loesberg

#48 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » April 12th, 2012, 6:50 am

Dan,

As you know, I agree with you about 94 and 99 on the one hand and 95 on the other. I kept a couple of bottles of the 95 back from our trade. I'm glad I did, because, as you say, the wine tastes better than one might have hoped, but I don't for a moment regret the trade.

I haven't opened an 05 yet because I was always struck by its tannin. But a lot of 05s (among them Charvin) are drinking surprisingly well right now. They are too young, but they are lively and vibrant rather than moody and sulking. I'd be interested in hearing reports on the Pegau.

Return to “Wine Talk”