2003 Pegau Reservee

I guess I’m just a Burgundy guy. This is good but a little too ripe for me and a 99 RMP pointer?? no way…
There is plenty of depth to the wine; the CdP characteristics are all there, but it just doesn’t sing to me like I was hoping for. I think I liked the 2001 from a couple weeks ago better - just not so much of everything going on it that one. And a few of the other CdP that I have been trying lately have also left me a little puzzled. Maybe I liked them younger with a little more fruit?? The '98’s I have had recently have not been showing well for me, either.

Give me a Burg anytime…

I actually considered the 03 last night but opted for the 01 instead. Really enjoyed it - even more so than the SQN Pictures I had on Friday.

Sorry the 03 didn’t deliver for you, Jerry. I’m a big fan of the wine, albeit a different style than other vintages for sure.

I agree, Jerry. It is no secret that RMP’s taste in CdP in particular leans to the very ripe, heady “knock-out” wines, and more and more I find them mono-dimensional and tiring. I still find his notes useful, but they require far more extrapolation and interpretation than they used to for me.

The 2003 Pegau and similar wines still have a purpose in my cellar, as they are almost universally loved by non-geek friends and sometimes become a gateway drug to wine appreciation more generally, and for a summer bbq they can carry the freight. But for a night alone w/my wife here at home I can’t say I ever really think of opening one.

Happy to take any unwanted 03s off your hands, Neal.

Likewise. And I’m local. flirtysmile

I had mixed feelings about this one last time I had it. First taste and I am thinking this was just too ripe for me. But I have to say, with time in the glass the complexity really emerged on this wine, so while it was still quite ripe, it was showing on a lot off different levels. Still did not prevent me from flipping 6 of them to pay for some Burgs I bought.

Always the same …
drinking wines far too early … and being puzzled that it “doesn´t sing …” deadhorse

Try the 1981 or 1985 Pegau instead! [highfive.gif]

You are a Burg guy?
Taste Bonnes Mares/Mugnier 2003 … is it singing right now?

[scratch.gif]

Gerhard

I have had plenty of young Burgundies and Bordeaux that I preferred to the 03 Pegau. Last night’s '99 Pavie was velvety, chocolate, cherries, and much to my liking. And as I said I liked the 01 Pegau, and have had the 2000 de Capo three times over the last few years and really liked that, so it is not just the age of the 03 that doesn’t sing for me.

The 99 Pavie is a lovely wine, I agree.

I’m with Jerry. Although people who’s palates I trust have had some excellent examples, I have never encountered an 03 Pegau that I’ve preferred to say the 01 or 04.

Just personal preference and easy on the wallet for our camp.

I’m convinced there is either bottle variation or more likely, shipping issues resulting in heat exposure. It is easy to write off '03 wines that taste heat damaged when it is possible the damage was a result of shipping issues. I have had this wine half a dozen times, most recently last night. The majority of the bottles I have tried have tasted aweful (roasted, pruney, VA, etc). Last nights bottle was tight, tannic and very young, but showed no evidence of heat issues (vintage or damage).

I’ve had only good examples of 03 Pegau, Mon Aieul, and Vatican 16. I didn’t buy alot. The one disappointment was huge: Clos Des Papes.

I didn’t care at all for the '03 a couple of weeks ago. It was hot and hard, a stone golem at an entmoot. Especially among some nice Burgundies, with their in-the-family similar profiles, it didn’t fare well. Maybe at a port tasting it would do better…

Hi All,

I have a bottle of '06 Pegau. When do you think I should crack it open?
I’ve been wanting to try it, but with a bottle only, it does make thing difficult. As for '07, I’ve few of them, should I crack the '07 instead?

Cheers
Andy

the 2003 pegau is about 15.5% alcohol and has tons of brett. i had a bottle tested on release back in the day when Parker was going nuts about the 2003s.

results as follows (i’m told the brett level is 2.5x sensory threshold).

4-EP at 1251 ppb
4-EG at 139 ppb

i suppose the brett issue is variable since it could be lower/higher depending on how the wine was handled.

i’ve had the wine several times and it can seem stealthily balanced - but after 2 glasses, you really feel the alcohol. i don’t like this feeling. there’s no sense of energy or refreshment in the wine. it is no doubt very concentrated and intense and i will not pretend to predict how it will age/evolve. i have kept a few for scientific purposes, including Capo which i purchased at the domaine.

Andy - I’d wait on both vintages.

Trudat.

I opened one of these on Friday night. It’s like drinking a huge oak stave that a stallion chewed up and shat out. Terrible, terrible wine. But that’s just my opinion, as I know others have enjoyed this.

I´m reading this board (and before that the other one) for years now … quite often there are TN about wines that simply are showing completely different from my cellar.

I have no idea what happens on the way across the Atlantic (or even earlier from a winery to the port), or from the US-port to the retailer … but I´d be very careful to draw definite conclusions from a bottle tasted states-side to bottles tasted in Europe …

Just my 0.02

i’ve always found variability in Pegau wines (my experience is limited to 1998 - 2005 in “size”) - not sure if it’s shipping, the brett, how they bottle, etc.

true on both sides of the “pond”