Myriad release

2/28 Including a new Petit Verdot and Semillon. Anyone taste either of these yet?

Haven’t tasted those yet, but in totally coincidental timing with the release I’m meeting Mike on 2/27 for a tasting…not sure if he’s planning to bring those, we’re mainly going to do barrel samples of the 2010 Cabs, but I can ask him and post a quick tasting note back here if he breaks the Verdot and Semillon out.

I saw the mailer, couldn’t believe there’s only 22 cases of the PV and only 24 for the Semillon. Would love some notes on these but given the case scarcity, I doubt they’ll last.

I’ll probably try to pick up a couple of each of these anyway but would be interested in any notes, thanks. So far I’ve really enjoyed every Mike Smith wine I’ve had.

Is there any difference between the 2010 Myriad Syrah’s Las Madres 100% Whole Cluster and the 2010 Quivet Cellars Syrah, Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard? I mean, are these the same wines with different labels?

Thanks.

-Mike

Just from reading the labeling, I would surmise the Myriad is 100% whole cluster while the Quivet is not. It would also appear the Quivet is sourced from a specific block of Las Madres while the Myriad would appear to have been made from more than one.

But that’s just speculation on my part, send them an email if you really wanna know and I’m sure they’ll get back right away. Mike and co. have always responded quickly to past emails I’ve sent them and come off as rad people who really care about their customers.

+1, and I’m super excited to try the Semillon and Petit Verdot…I feel like if anyone could make some magic happen with Verdot it’d be Mike!

IIRC, MIke makes two syrahs under the Myriad label from the Las Madres Vineyard, one of which is whole cluster. The Quivet in prior vintages was not the whole cluster and I do not know about this year. In comparing the Quivet with the Myriad counterpart, which was the Esther Block, I think they are a different block from the same vineyard, and possibly a different type of French Oak barrel. I will say that all of these are amazing Syrah!

Thanks for the replies…I look forward to trying the Quivet for the first time…I have enjoyed the past Myriad thus far. Wish I could purchase more than I have…

I have never had a Petit Verdot from California, so I’m definitely interested in trying this.

I have had a couple from Stagecoach Vineyard…massive, extracted & tannic beasts…almost to the point of being undrinkable. Let’s hope that Mike found a way to dial his back a few notches.

Just heard back from Mike, the Semillon doesn’t get bottled until March, so we’ll have to barrel sample it (boohoo), and he’ll bring the PV and Syrah to try along with all the Cabs…I’ll post a note back up here about them, but I agree with you, I’ve enjoyed every wine I’ve had from him.

Received my offer just now. Was allocated just two of the Petit Verdot, so I bought them. Might go back and buy some of the Syrahs.

I’m overcommitted, so I just picked up one Semilion and one PV to try them. He does great work, so it will be fun to taste these.

Hmmm, no e-mail here. I just logged on and there are no wines available to purchase. A [money saving] blessing in disguise perhaps?

Not exactly right on topic, but wanted to chime in anyway.
The 2009 Quivet Las Madres Syrah is quite possibly the best Syrah I had had all year.

Good to hear, Mike. I’ve been sitting on mine…now I want to open one! Decant or pop-n-pour?

3 Semillon and 3 Esthers.

I would open, pour some in the glass and give it ten minutes. and enjoy.
I only have two left. I can’t find more yet.

Thanks, Mike. I’ll probably check one out this weekend.